Talk

Advanced search

To be gutted that I maybe I can't be a birth partner.

(19 Posts)
EveOnline2016 Wed 06-Jul-16 14:58:55

Sister is due anytime now smile I have been hit with a cold and tonsillitis with the added pain of a chest infection.

my sister is gutted as well but doesn't want me any where near her.

How can I make this up to her.

Sighing Wed 06-Jul-16 15:04:25

Concentrate on getting well. flowers She may go overdue, you may be sorted. Having babies is often an experience in the unexpected. Book yourself to help with cooking / cleaning etc as this baby will be in both your lives for a long time.

Birdsgottafly Wed 06-Jul-16 15:05:09

48 hours on anti-biotics and you'll be fine.

Just don't kiss the baby, or breathe on him/her.

Is it her first, would she consider Skyping? grin

On a serious note, you can't really make it up to her. She can ask the MW, they may say 24 hours of Antibiotics.

Completelyparanoidihope Wed 06-Jul-16 15:05:10

She may go overdue? Is it first baby?

Who will go in your place?

You can't help being ill and the fact she wants you as birth partner means you are obviously close... you don't need to "make it up to her"

Get well and hopefully baby will stay put for a bit.

WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Wed 06-Jul-16 15:05:45

Plenty of fluids.
Oranges for vitamin c.
Rest.
Paracetamol for temperature.
Get well soon.

RubbleBubble00 Wed 06-Jul-16 15:10:27

I'd usually say rest and painkillers but I'd advocate antibiotics in this case just to be sure

KnitsBakesAndReads Wed 06-Jul-16 15:17:29

I don't think you need to make it up to her as you can't help being unwell.

But, if you did want to do something, could you possibly get her a gift of a couple of nice items for her to use during labour? Perhaps things like a nice cooling face spray, lip balm, etc?

EveOnline2016 Wed 06-Jul-16 15:19:24

First baby so bless her very worried about the baby getting ill. Not that I would go to her home if the baby is born before I'm well again.

I'm on antibiotics for the chest infection and got lovely numbing sprays and painkillers.

I'm never ill what shitty timing.

EveOnline2016 Wed 06-Jul-16 15:20:39

A labour gift sounds good.

I will as our mum to pass it along to her.

blueskyinmarch Wed 06-Jul-16 15:44:34

It might be another two weeks before she goes birth. Plenty of time to get better!

blueskyinmarch Wed 06-Jul-16 15:45:04

Goes birth??? I mean goes into labour.

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Wed 06-Jul-16 16:04:23

Poor you, really bad timing but it can't be helped.
You can make it up to her by being a brilliant auntie. smile Get well soon.

Vajazzler Wed 06-Jul-16 16:05:31

Get come vitamin c with zinc to help boost your system. It always helps me feel better faster. And tell your sister to keep it in!

MunchCrunch01 Wed 06-Jul-16 16:07:57

Is she tall? Some people think tall people gestate longer - that's the only reason I can think why both my DDs had to be strongly encouraged out at 2 weeks late. You might make it yet!

EveOnline2016 Wed 06-Jul-16 17:34:32

No my sister is short.

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Wed 06-Jul-16 17:58:14

I'm quite short 5'4" and all mine were two weeks overdue. Not sure that proves anything though but you never know.

IamCarcass Wed 06-Jul-16 18:24:31

Make some meals for the freezer. I had a cold when I was ready to give birth , and my sister had colds for all three births. My theory is it promotes labour smile

MunchCrunch01 Thu 07-Jul-16 09:55:29

Someone delivered us meals when we had DC1, it was lovely. Got my fingers crossed for you!

JinnyGreenTeeth Thu 07-Jul-16 10:06:38

My son was fifteen days overdue (by the way due dates are calculated in this country, which isn't the same elsewhere) - you may have plenty of time to get well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now