Talk

Advanced search

to be fucking angry that Oscar Pistorius has been sentenced to six bloody years?!

(20 Posts)
WhereTheFuckIsMyFuckingCoat Wed 06-Jul-16 10:10:53

For the murder of Reeva Steenkamp? Apologies if there is another thread, I couldn't see it. I'm just so fucking angry that a woman's life could be deemed worth so little. What the actual fuck?! sadangry

Brankolium Wed 06-Jul-16 13:30:11

There are other threads, but no YANBU!

BillSykesDog Wed 06-Jul-16 13:32:40

YANBU, that bloody judge is a disgrace, same one who let him off last time and shouldn't have been allowed to sentence him this time. It's less than half the minimum FFS. I hope the state appeals it.

Okkitokkiunga Wed 06-Jul-16 13:33:02

Yes and no. Firstly have you any experience of the African legal system or are you applying British principles to your thinking.

MollyTwo Wed 06-Jul-16 13:33:14

Yanbu!! angry

ChiefClerkDrumknott Wed 06-Jul-16 14:08:58

Firstly have you any experience of the African legal system or are you applying British principles to your thinking.

Come again? The prescribed sentence is 15 years. What do you mean by British principles?

ChiefClerkDrumknott Wed 06-Jul-16 14:12:03

And how do you know the OP is British? Perhaps they are from South Africa, perhaps they are in the legal practice there. What nonsense.

Anyway, OP YANBU, it's disgusting that a woman's life is worth so little.

ToastDemon Wed 06-Jul-16 14:13:45

I'm from southern Africa and I think it stinks! OP is not applying "British principles" here what a bloody odd thing to say.

ColdAsIceCubes Wed 06-Jul-16 14:15:03

YANBU angry RIP Reeva.

ToastDemon Wed 06-Jul-16 14:15:25

Also what's an African legal system? It's a very large continent. It certainly doesn't have one uniform legal system. The South African legal system has it's foundation in Roman Dutch law, incidentally.

anotherdayanotherdinner Wed 06-Jul-16 14:19:13

Because he's already served a year he'll probably only be inside for 2. Apparently he has lost a lot so the sentence is proportionate. Absolutely disgusting.

Vickyyyy Wed 06-Jul-16 14:53:41

I am exactly the same. I think he should have got so much longer, plus a few years for the ridiculous theatrics and expecting people to believe his pathetic story of not knowing it was her in the bathroom tbh

HelpfulChap Wed 06-Jul-16 15:03:53

Ludicrously light sentence.

peachpudding Wed 06-Jul-16 15:05:20

But he has PTSD, plus he is sorry.

DrDreReturns Wed 06-Jul-16 15:08:47

Okkitokkiunga Africa is a continent, not a country!

He should have got far longer in prison imo.

Iamthegreatest1 Wed 06-Jul-16 15:15:10

African legal system indeed. Mind telling us about it hmm

Okkitokkiunga Wed 06-Jul-16 16:25:10

I don't mean as a lawyer or what their legal system is based on. I am referring to how justice usually pans out in Africa. There is a huge movement that believes this trial received the publicity it did because of who he is. Gun crime is very common in South Africa as is the non sentencing/ getting off Scot free. The British principles I was referring to are the justice we would expect to see in this country. We would also expect him to receive certain basic human rights in this country which he very likely won't.

I am not advocating he should get off for killing her by the way. I feel sorry for anyone sentenced to jail in Africa

I know Africa is a big place with many countries. I am South African.

Okkitokkiunga Wed 06-Jul-16 17:17:46

And with the number of cases in South Africa where people have shot family members believing them to be burglars I feel that this case is not as cut and dried as many would have you think in the media.

amarmai Wed 06-Jul-16 17:54:35

Read some SA newspapers during the first trial and several white men have been let off for killing wives, daughters, girlfriends. It seemed always to be women who were mistaken for burglars. Odd. In fact as Sa is known for being so understanding about these unfortunate mistaken identity killings, a British man who had been forced to marry because of family values, brought his new wife to SA and went out immediately after dumping her in a htel , and hired a man to murder her. NVer heard if he got off tho. Cd make SA the femicide travel tourist destination of the world.

CarrieLouise25 Wed 06-Jul-16 21:26:19

I don't understand how he got 5 years for culpable homicide, and 6 years for murder. All that effort, all that pain for Reeva's family to go through the whole thing again, for one lousy year.

He's only done 10 months in the hospital, the rest on house arrest. He spent the whole trial out (at least OJ was in jail during the trial!!)

The only thing that was worth the appeal, was the conviction of murder. He is no longer 'The Athlete', he is and always will be a murderer.

I feel sorry for Reeva's family sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now