Talk

Advanced search

Neighbor parking dispute

(51 Posts)
Pit84 Tue 05-Jul-16 22:36:50

Hi guys,

There is a bit of a sticky parking situation in my neighborhood.
A bit of background info,

We live in a very rural area in the middle of nowhere where most of the houses in our village have turned their front garden into a driveway. Me and two of our neighbors houses are connected to the village road with no pavements. So the only way to park is on a bus stop that is directly in front of us (The council have encouraged us to use the bus space as there is physically no where to park and have even put some lines down to try and separate it from the village road, the bus only comes a few times a day which no one uses) Our new neighbor has a driveway but doesn't have a drop down kerb, they have to drive over the 'bus stop' to get into their 'driveway'. Me and my DH have a car each as does our lodger, our other neighbor have 5 cars as their 3 adult kids (late teens and early 20's) have one each as the bus service is non existent and they all have full time jobs, as well as unlikely being able to move out due to living in South England. My neighbor who have a driveway wants plenty of space to reverse their car out, there is just enough space to fit everyone's car in, however the neighbor with the driveway always wants a car moved so they can reverse out. Everyone always gives them enough space (not tones of spaces, but absolutely enough so they can get out) This then means one of two cars have to literally be moved onto the village road so they can have the amount of space they want.

Sorry this is so long lol, but I hope your getting the picture.
Whos in the right and whos in the wrong?
I don't know if this affects anything, but me and my neighbor live in council houses, where as the house that has a driveway is owned by themselves.
What can we do or is there literally nothing?
We have tried turning our front garden into a driveway however there is water pipes all in our front garden.

Many thanks for any advice
x

DreamingofItaly Tue 05-Jul-16 22:43:42

Sounds like a tricky one. You're best off chatting to the council about it, but I thought if there wasn't a drop kerb, it's not technically (I could be wrong) a right of way/ driveway.

This could mean you're both in the right or both in the wrong. In truth, if you're leaving enough room for her to get out then she shouldn't ask you to move. Maybe she's not a confident driver.

Another thought: have you suggested she reverse in? She may find it easier to drive out?

I hope you sort it. Parking wars are terrible, I live in a small village with little parking too so totally understand your pain!

elodie2000 Tue 05-Jul-16 22:45:20

If the neighbour isn't blocked in and an get out easily (and safely?) YANBU.
If they have to do several maneuvers to get out and visibility is poor YABU.

WiddlinDiddlin Tue 05-Jul-16 22:50:28

It would be an idea to see if the council would consider funding turning front gardens into driveways - water pipes shouldn't be an issue as long as they are deep enough and the driveway constructed so that they aren't crushed (are you parking cars or huge commercial vehicles?)..

It is not an unreasonable request as the houses were almost certainly built before the days of everyone having cars and this work could be considered part of modernising and maintainance of property.

If part of the neighbours problem is that they have to drive over a kerb and this makes the manouvre more difficult... that is their problem not yours, the reason they won't have dropped the kerb is that it costs a LOT of money to do..

Pit84 Tue 05-Jul-16 22:57:27

We understand how we can all be in the wrong, the councils have accepted that there is literally no where to park so lets us park on the bus stop and said we can make our own driveway without dropping the kerb (which we cant due to water pipes). She doesn't have a drop down kerb so we can legally park infront of their 'driveway' however we do want to get a long as neighbors. we personally think she has enough space (borderline could fit 2 cars in the space she wants) I think in her perfect world she would want to reverse very easy without much effort. but in our situation she probably has to reverse as if shes reversing out of a space in a car park.

BombadierFritz Tue 05-Jul-16 23:00:19

Did the last neighbour have the same problem? Its not really your problem if she cant access her drive as it hasnt got a dropped kerb so you are ok to park there (assuming it is ok with council as it is a bus stop - i thought that wasnt allowed either)
Hmmm maybe goodwill on both sides is best.

Pit84 Tue 05-Jul-16 23:08:09

I think the council have tried to help us with letting us use the bus stop, but don't seem willing to pay to turn our front garden into a driveway (difficult to explain but our front gardens are connected and come to a point with footpaths on both sides, and is on a hill so is raised very high above the road so very expensive) I think the council now think its our issue as we do have a lot of cars for our households. I would love for our neighbor to understand our point of view but seems to think its her driveway as well as the space in front of it. She has even tried to put plants in front of her drive to make her driveway seem smaller so we cant park in front of it.

Pit84 Tue 05-Jul-16 23:16:46

The past owner didn't have an issue. Like I've said I understand how we can all be in the wrong but we don't have any choice. We don't park in front of her or block in her as we want to get along. But its very hard when she keeps wanting us to move ours cars on the village main road just so she can have a nice generous space so she can just fly in and out.

Griphook Tue 05-Jul-16 23:33:03

If you can all park there with out to much trouble then she really needs to learn to reverse.

Magtheridon Tue 05-Jul-16 23:39:26

Why can't the council just put in a dropped curb ? I'm pretty sure you can actually pay the council to do this or atleast apply for them to do it ?

www.gov.uk/apply-dropped-kerb

BombadierFritz Tue 05-Jul-16 23:44:57

If she is being awkward maybe you need to remind her she isnt really allowed to drive across the pavement and give her the form to apply for a dropped kerb

Pit84 Tue 05-Jul-16 23:45:09

The dropped kerb isn't actually the issue, I just stated it because she seems to think a large amount of space infront of her drive is hers and Noone can park any where near it, when in fact I could park infront of it if I wanted to (which I don't)

BombadierFritz Tue 05-Jul-16 23:46:25

Thats why it might be helpful to remind her you are already being nice

Pit84 Tue 05-Jul-16 23:51:39

We have thought about that but then we are also in the wrong by parking in a bus stop, so always a win lose situation. It's not like we are being lazy and can park somewhere else a few minutes away, there is NO where to park the car unless you park it halfway across a one way road. It's hard to argue with someone who believes they need extra space.

ilovelamp82 Tue 05-Jul-16 23:57:07

Next time they ask you to move offer to reverse their car out for them. Once they can see it's clearly possible I imagine they'll stop asking.

Pit84 Wed 06-Jul-16 00:00:09

We have tried telling her that everyone is trying to give everyone enough space. Like I said I think she just wants to be able to fly out and in and doesn't seem to think it's her issue that there is a parking issue (which I guess I could understand) but what else can we do? We can't be parking on the road or infront of parked cars

Thomasisintraining Wed 06-Jul-16 00:02:32

She does not own the road but if she really struggles she may starting parking on it which I presume will exacerbate the problem I am guessing. See if there is any compromise because you all need somewhere to park and in fairness she had one car for her house you all have the excessive amount from her perspective.

JudyCoolibar Wed 06-Jul-16 00:05:27

Off the point, but can you get together and push for the bus stop to be moved? It seems it's pointless having it there and it's making a bad parking situation worse.

Pit84 Wed 06-Jul-16 00:08:16

This is the thing, I do understand her perspective. I just think she should be a little more understanding as we have 0 other options to park.

Pit84 Wed 06-Jul-16 00:09:31

No the bus stop is what we are using to park our cars, without it we would have no where to park and would be absolutely screwed

littleducks Wed 06-Jul-16 00:15:55

I think pp meant the bus stop should nd be made into a parking bay and actual stop moved along road slightly (it can't be being used by buses if full of parked cars?)

Have you tried just not hearing the door if she knocks and waiting to see if she tries reversing the car out without you moving?

What does she do if you're parked but out, or on holiday - perhaps you and the neighbour could coordinate to ignore her request to test it out?

BarmySmarmy Wed 06-Jul-16 05:53:02

If she parks on the road instead of using her front garden, then she makes parking all the harder for all of you. If she has not got a dropped kerb, I assume she is using her front garden to park?

It does seem a bit dangerous reversing straight out of a narrow gap into a lane. Have you yourself tried it to see what it feels like, for visibility etc?

5 cars is a lot. Can one of next door park a way away and get a lift to their car when someone else drives off?

elodie2000 Wed 06-Jul-16 06:37:00

Barmy has a point. Is she actually doing you all a favour parking on her drive and not outside her house? Leaving the rest of you with more room?
Your household has 3 cars and to the other side of her there are 5 cars...
If she were to start parking her car outside her house would that be less annoying than her knocking on your door ?

3littlefrogs Wed 06-Jul-16 06:38:30

She should be reversing onto her driveway and driving out.
That would solve her problem.
I live on a busy road and frequently have to drive past my house, turn round and come back in order to reverse onto my drive. But it is too dangerous to reverse out, especially as people park right up to the edges of my driveway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now