Talk

Advanced search

To hate newborn photoshoot pictures?

(162 Posts)
Toofondofcake Tue 05-Jul-16 16:04:20

So I don't know if it's just me but a lot of people on my FB feed have been posting their newborn photoshoot pics recently and I bloody hate them.

The babies are always squished into an elaborate outfit or stark naked on a rug and rolled into a little ball and then photoshopped so they look like dolls with terrifyingly googly eyes or creepy porcelain skin.
I can't abide them. Is this just me being a bit of a misery guts or does it irritate everyone else too?

Give me a cheeky home snap of a snuggly baby in a onsie any day.

Lunar1 Tue 05-Jul-16 16:05:59

I thought it was just me, the boor baby girls look like they've had a giant flower stapled to their head!!

WhyShouldYou Tue 05-Jul-16 16:06:39

YADNBU. They're hideous.

TheNaze73 Tue 05-Jul-16 16:07:17

There's nothing more boring than pictures of other people's children. Especially in bad poses. YANBU

NeedACleverNN Tue 05-Jul-16 16:08:44

I don't know. My cousin has just has his done for his newborn and they look beautiful.

They can't be too uncomfortable as the baby wouldn't settle. But it does look a bit odd

Wouldn't do it for my own children but it doesn't bother me if people want to do it for theirs

Vixxfacee Tue 05-Jul-16 16:09:24

I like them.

Religieuse Tue 05-Jul-16 16:09:53

No, they're even more naff and creepy than the bump photos where the whole family stares at the exposed bump with expressions of wonder and joy as if they've just seen a vision.

The ones that feature sleeping newborns apparently asleep upright in flowerpots wearing creepy little hats are particularly ghastly.

RadicalPessimist Tue 05-Jul-16 16:11:47

Natural family shots can be lovely. I saw a beautiful one recently of a mum cradling her newborn. It was in black and white and was just stunning.

The ones of babies in flowerpots or wearing a giant headband I'm not so keen on!

Toofondofcake Tue 05-Jul-16 16:12:52

Oh I hate the flowerpot ones!

And yes all the tutus and flowers etc look glued/stapled on.
Whew I'm glad it's not just me I was afraid my heart was turning stony for not thinking they were cute.

Also with a newborn I really couldn't be arsed to get my arse into a studio with ten million changes of clothes for the baby.

Buggers Tue 05-Jul-16 16:13:10

Yanbu!

summerskittles91 Tue 05-Jul-16 16:16:52

YANBU. I'm so glad other people dislike them too. I find them unnatural and some what creepy. That sounds really harsh..

ThinkPinkStink Tue 05-Jul-16 16:17:03

Awful, awful, awful. Almost macabre...

RadicalPessimist Tue 05-Jul-16 16:18:27

I saw one of other day of the babies dressed up like leprechauns. It was creeeeeeepy.

Sandbagsandgladrags Tue 05-Jul-16 16:19:13

I know somebody who's a photography assistant on newborn posed shoots. According to her, the end result is the product of significant image manipulation - combining elements of lots of different shots and also airbrushing blotchy baby skin. Seems a bit much to me.

WyfOfBathe Tue 05-Jul-16 16:19:42

My parents got photos taken of me when I was a baby. I looked absolutely gorgeous (if I do say so myself wink )

So they decided to have some taken of my little sister when she was born. She's bright red in the face from screaming and wearing just a bodysuit because she had thrown up on her pretty dress... I'm not really sure why they carried on with the photo shoot.

This was before social media was around though, so only aunties/grandparents/etc were forced to coo over the photos grin

When my baby's here, I'm not going to take him/her for a photo shoot - I agree that snuggly at home pictures are cuter smile

ChipsandGuac Tue 05-Jul-16 16:21:35

I had to delete an old school friend after he posted his wife's pregnancy photo shoot on FB. On what planet would anyone think the rest of your friends want to see you snuggling your heavily pregnant semi naked wife when you're wearing nothing but your y fronts?! I was traumatized for weeks!

TitusAndromedon Tue 05-Jul-16 16:21:37

I had some done of my twins. The photographer came to our house and set up in front of a window, so the only lighting was natural. They were both asleep, so we just cuddled them together on a cushion wearing only nappies, draped a blanket over then, and that was it. They are absolutely gorgeous and, now that my babies are seven months old and rather hige, I love looking back at them. However, we never wanted any props or to have them scrunched up into little balls. Our photos are very simple and natural. I can't abide the other kind.

elliejjtiny Tue 05-Jul-16 16:22:49

YANBU. I'm not keen. I think they look very un-natural. I've seen some that are nicer than others but definitely not a fan. Really hate the ones of half naked pregnant women with all the family staring in wonderment at the bump. That's probably jealousy though because my pregnancies were miserable and I looked hideous.

BeautyGoesToBenidorm Tue 05-Jul-16 16:25:39

I don't really like posed photos full stop. DS2 had a load taken at his nursery recently, and none of them looked like him - you could tell he was smiling on command and looked a bit vacant in most of them. I much prefer the candid snaps I take of him on my phone, when he's laughing, or reading the Toys'R'Us catalogue on the bus like it's the FT grin

ChipsandGuac Tue 05-Jul-16 16:26:54

As a complete aside, I still look back at the time I had a photographer come over to do a shoot at our home and laugh. He set up his white background and then told my 4 to wrestle. I don't really know what he was expecting tbh but by the look on his face, it wasn't for his background to get knocked over and 2 of the kids to end up crying grin

MrsMarigold Tue 05-Jul-16 16:28:09

None of my friends have ever done this

elliejjtiny Tue 05-Jul-16 16:28:42

I don't know if it's photoshopping or turning it black and white, but in some the baby looks lifeless, like when I first saw DS5, when they briefly took off the bag and mask so I could see his face before they whisked him off to NICU. And the ones with big fluffy wings on the baby's back. Makes me feel very uncomfortable tbh.

puzzledbyadream Tue 05-Jul-16 16:29:20

I hate squished up newborns, make me feel funny.

A woman on my facebook posted pictures of her bump every single month. It was most unnecessary.

LovelyBranches Tue 05-Jul-16 16:30:17

I had newborn photo's for my ds. I treasure the photo's. No funny poses, no outfits, no airbrushing. Just beautiful photo's that I would never have been able to achieve with my camera skills.

Mermaid36 Tue 05-Jul-16 16:32:26

YANBU...My twins have been in NICU for 12 weeks so far, so we've had none of the usual baby stuff going on, however we've managed to snap lots of beautiful candid photos of them on our phones, wires/breathing support/cannulas and all.

The ward matron has asked for a couple of the pictures to be emailed to her, as she wants to get them printed and put them up on the wall in the unit

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now