AIBU in thinking that I've spent too much time on MN? - crossing to real life

(19 Posts)
Lweji Mon 04-Jul-16 15:46:55

Line to purchase a sandwich.
Two women discussing someone else's child's readiness to potty train.
Apparently the child is 3 (!) and is only starting to show signs of being ready. Then started comparing with other children, including theirs. Something like at 18 months (or before birth, or something).
I turned around and said that my son (standing next to me) was 3 years and 3 months old when he stopped wearing nappies and then it was day and night. And that those ages were normal.
I turned back to the line and got served.
They went more quiet.
blush (not really)

It's over, isn't it? I have to detox.

BrandNewAndImproved Mon 04-Jul-16 15:49:01

Yeah you have turned into an MN knob.

MollyTwo Mon 04-Jul-16 15:49:56

Yes you were incredibly rude to butt in and offer your opinion as something they would be interested in.

Whatthefoxgoingon Mon 04-Jul-16 15:57:45

WTF? Why did you think they'd give a shiny shit about your potty training views?!

Arfarfanarf Mon 04-Jul-16 16:03:19

Did you feel they were judging the other mother for somehow failing in the training 'race'?
Cos it sounds like they were to me.

WellErrr Mon 04-Jul-16 16:09:20

You don't sound half as hostile as this place is becoming judging by the first few replies I wouldn't worry yet wink

minipie Mon 04-Jul-16 16:13:35

Hahaha

Yes you can't give your opinion in RL quite as readily as on MN

Unfortunately

JakeBallardswife Mon 04-Jul-16 16:14:05

I LOVE wading into other peoples conversations and offering my opinion on whatever they are discussing. I don't do this frequently but when I do it feels wonderful, like I have new friends.

However, if I disagree with what they're saying I don't interrupt, so well done for voicing your opinion.

I'm not sure though that everyone anyone likes me offering my opinion! Hey ho.

billabye Mon 04-Jul-16 16:16:03

At least you said your son and not DS smile

ShtoppenDerFloppen Mon 04-Jul-16 16:17:55

Not entirely sure that my story has any merit, but here goes...

When my mother was pregnant with me, my sister was a young toddler. That was enough of a reason to "train" her readiness be damned so that my mother didn't have 2 in diapers once I arrived. As a result, she was trained by the time she was 18 months old. However, knowing my mother, it wasn't based on readiness and more likely punitive.

My children, however, both have a genetic disease which has affected their development. DS trained for wee by the time he was 2 1/2, BMs took a bit longer. DD, however, was 8 before she was confidently trained (although she still rarely wets at night).

Unless you were invited into the conversation, you were being a busybody, and might as well wear your knob crown proudly so as to warn all others that their private conversations are about to be interrupted by unsolicited blather.

Lweji Mon 04-Jul-16 19:11:21

Did you feel they were judging the other mother for somehow failing in the training 'race'?

Yes. smile

I blame old age as well as MN.

Pearlman Mon 04-Jul-16 19:12:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NotYoda Mon 04-Jul-16 19:27:19

My two were exactly the same

Just over 3, and trained in two weeks.

Day and night

I would have said all that IN MY HEAD and smiled to myself

You were a nosey pants but I think I'm getting more and more like that as I get older

I try to only actually voice things if someone's being horrible to someone else

NotYoda Mon 04-Jul-16 19:29:27

Actually, I think being on mumsnet is a safety valve to voice all your opinions without doing it in RL to people who never asked for them, so YABU

gonetoseeamanaboutadog Mon 04-Jul-16 19:31:14

You probably seemed defensive.

RB68 Mon 04-Jul-16 19:38:19

clearly in the south as further North the whole queue would have joined in :-)

IfTheCapFitsWearIt Mon 04-Jul-16 19:41:47

gringringrin

Poor them, and you grin

Step away for a bit.

I have had to, too. The past couple of months I've cut back a lot. I'm on a lot less now, and mainly lurk around instead. TBF you normally say what I would have anyway smile

I might end up having to post more again though if you arn't grin

Lweji Mon 04-Jul-16 21:12:04

At least you said your son and not DS

Yes, I deserve a medal for that one.

Lweji Mon 04-Jul-16 21:16:04

I bet you looked a bit of a tit.

Sadly it's probably not the first time I did either. blush
Sadly, DS is too young to be embarassed, but we'll get there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now