Wedding related florist nightmare

(73 Posts)
Hopelass Mon 04-Jul-16 15:10:16

My first AIBU I think so am prepared for a variety of answers. I'll try and keep it brief. DP and I getting married in two weeks. Small reg office do. Only booked a few weeks ago. Since then been trying to find a florist to do one bouquet for me and one buttonhole for DP. Emailed 6 places 5 of which haven't replied and 1 said they were fully booked. I haven't called or called in to said places because it's a faff with my DS and would like to find out their prices first. Anyway I turned to the friend of an ex colleague who runs a business through facebook. I messaged her and she said she'd help me out and to give her a ring on Monday. I've just called her and she was downright rude saying "I can't talk now I'm at work. I don't do flowers all the time" I apologised and said I was sorry I didn't realise and when should I call back "I don't know" she replied and hung up. WIBU to just try and find someone else at this short notice or do it myself or should I give her the benefit of the doubt? My issue is that if she couldn't talk a.) why did she ask me to ring today and b.) why did she even answer her phone? The way she spoke to me has upset me a bit but I am pregnant so....hormones etc.
Sorry that was long!

fraggle84 Mon 04-Jul-16 15:12:54

Id find someone else you don't need the worry. She shouldn't have answered her phone!!

Where are you? I know 2 florists

MangeTooot Mon 04-Jul-16 15:14:05

Definitely find someone else. But you need to start ringing around rather than emailing!

Hopelass Mon 04-Jul-16 15:15:10

I'm in Bolton fraggle
Yeah, I'm concerned that this is the first time I have spoken to her (and yes she shouldn't have answered her phone) and I'm not sure I can move on from that first impression unless she apologises.......or whether I am BU and she was blunt because she was at work.

SteviebunsBottrittrundle Mon 04-Jul-16 15:15:55

It is wedding season, so you might struggle at such short notice. Can't you look for another florist while keeping the rude friend's friend in mind? Hedge your bets a bit. And yes she shouldn't have answered the phone at work.

TooTiredToBeCreative Mon 04-Jul-16 15:16:40

If you only want one bouquet and one button hole it should be that difficult to find someone surely! I regularly ring the florist to order a bouquet for the next day! Obviously not as "special" as a bridal one but still, it's what they do!

Hopelass Mon 04-Jul-16 15:17:40

I know Mange that'll be my tactic from now on. I was just taking the easy option by emailing because I have a noisy nearly 3 year old who is a pain when I'm on the phone and when he naps so do I being 6 months pregnant but will have to just get on with it if I'm to find someone else now.

selsigfach Mon 04-Jul-16 15:19:26

Do it yourself, honestly, it's easy. I did about 10 buttonholes and bouquets for myself and 2 bridesmaids before breakfast on the morning I got married. Pick up some florists tape on eBay and some pins and you'll be fine.

SteviebunsBottrittrundle Mon 04-Jul-16 15:19:59

True tootired I just remember the florist who did our wedding flowers needing lots of notice. That was for 4 X bouquets and 6 X button holes though. She did seem to be working flat out when she delivered them. She had loads to deliver for the same day. That was in August though so right in the middle of the busiest time for weddings where we were.

SheDoneAlreadyDoneHadHerses Mon 04-Jul-16 15:21:40

Could you bob into a florist and just order a small bouquet - or ask a family member to do it?

You can get some lovely little bouquets delivered from M&S, Next, etc, which you could tie with a ribbon?

Hopelass Mon 04-Jul-16 15:22:27

Stevie I'm thinking the fact that it's a very small order and it is wedding season is putting other florists off maybe but as tootired says it's what they do.
The wedding is also on a Monday. I wish I could leave the word wedding out when asking for what I want because it seems to freak people out thinking massive job, bridezilla etc. and the price shoots up X 10!

HelloDoris Mon 04-Jul-16 15:23:39

I got my flowers from the local college who do a floristry course. Might be worth a Google, was far cheaper then a traditional florist.

NoncommittalToSparkleMotion Mon 04-Jul-16 15:24:56

I wouldn't use her.

Go to your local grocer or a place like M&S, they can do very simple ones for fairly cheap.

SteviebunsBottrittrundle Mon 04-Jul-16 15:25:03

How about doing it yourself or ordering from somewhere like M&S? People make alternative bouquets and sell them on eBay (not flowers, made of brooches or knitted ones) and some of them are lovely. You're so right, they do jack up the price as soon as you mention weddings. This annoyed me when organising.

Hopelass Mon 04-Jul-16 15:25:08

Sorry X posts a bit. I am increasingly tempted to do it myself. I have already watched a you tube vid and it seems simple enough with the right equipment. I think I might give rude florist 24 hours and see if she contacts me and apologises then go ahead and call the one remaining number I have for a localish one and if all that fails I'll do it myself!

SteviebunsBottrittrundle Mon 04-Jul-16 15:25:55

How about doing it yourself or ordering from somewhere like M&S

Sorry I do realise this wasn't my own suggestion, meant to say "as pps suggested".

Imnotaslimjim Mon 04-Jul-16 15:26:05

Get on youtube, there is loads of videos talking you through how to do it yourself. If mine hadn't been gifted I was planning on doing it myself.

SheDoneAlreadyDoneHadHerses Mon 04-Jul-16 15:26:14

This is pretty if you want to do it yourself but use prepicked flowers:

www.nextflowers.co.uk/FlowersItem/7661/7661

Imnotaslimjim Mon 04-Jul-16 15:26:56

Sorry, massive cross post!

ICanSeeForMiles Mon 04-Jul-16 15:31:45

Whatever you do I wouldn't use next flowers if you paid me. Myself, and others I know have had awful experiences with half dead, not as described bouquets.
Do you have a small independent florist near you? We've got one here (sorry nowhere near you) that's part of a fruit shop and they do beautiful flower arrangements and buttonholes much cheaper than a traditional interflora type place.
However failing that I would just do it myself. You tube the buttonhole part, it's a doddle.

SnapCackleFlop Mon 04-Jul-16 15:31:54

I just had a quick google and this place does online order and next day delivery:
www.greatbritishflorist.co.uk/bridal-bouquet-we-choose-the-flowers.html

Personally I wouldn't bother about rude florist.....
Good luck and hope it's a wonderful day smile

Hopelass Mon 04-Jul-16 15:37:08

Thanks all. I have spoken to DP now as well who agrees not to use rude florist so I'll have a look at the links pps have kindly posted and see what I can come up with. I'm glad IWasn'tBU

CMOTDibbler Mon 04-Jul-16 15:39:04

I did my own with silk flowers - it meant I could take them apart until I was happy with it - chose mine online, but many garden centres do them, or Hobbycraft do flowers and all the bits. Or you can buy them ready put together from places like this

A friend used silk calla lilies, then wound fairy lights into them and put it all in a big vase so they were an ornament which was lovely

Daisy62 Mon 04-Jul-16 15:39:22

For my wedding last summer I ordered white roses to be delivered the day before from M&S, and bought some gyp and greenery at local florist. My 16-year-old daughter made two bouquets and four buttonholes, after watching a youtube video, using florist tape and some twine from Hobbycraft. All lovely and much cheaper than having them made.

ThumbWitchesAbroad Mon 04-Jul-16 15:40:12

Definitely NBU and if she plans on making that a business sideline for herself, she needs to improve her customer relations skills!

I did my own - cost me about £30 9 years ago - the florist very kindly threw in some floral wire for stiffening the stems and binding the bouquet together as well, which was kind. Make sure you ask for some, and the green florists' tape too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now