Advanced search

AIBU to not have surgery at this NHS hospital

(11 Posts)
Babyroobs Sun 03-Jul-16 21:19:36

Two days ago I had the misfortune to end up on the surgical assesment unit of my local hospital for 12 hours. The lack of care that I witnessed horrified me. They eventually sent me home and said they will send me an appoinment for minor surgery in a couple of months. the thought of ever going back there horrifies me. AIBU to try to go somewher else? Can I even do this? Just to give you a snapshot, I was in a bay of six people, two were writhing around the bed in agony for hours with no pain relief being given . Despite them keeping begging the nurse they just kept being told that unti A Dr had seen them she couldn't give them anything, yet she made no attempt to even get a prescription written up. When the lady next to me was eventually seen, the Dr ordered morphine to be given straight away such was her distress. I had a really painful condition but had no pain relief for ten hours and not even a drink of water despite having a condition made worse by dehydration. There was a confused elderly lady constantly almost falling out of her chair with necrotic ulcers on her legs, no dressing on and bare feet on the floor. The qualified nurses spoke very limited english and just kept saying 'waiting for dr'. I overheard the Drs referring to patients just by their surnames which just seemed rude. There seemed to be no communication between Drs and Nurses- the surgeon said I could go home but three hours later nothing had been sorted and when I enquired was told there was no dr to write a simple prescription (yet the surgeon I had seen was sat there at the Nurses desk) meaning I left without medi ction I needed.

Salmiak Sun 03-Jul-16 21:27:06

You need to write a complaint to pals and the chief executive copied in stating what you witnessed. If people don't complain then the hospital will never know where patients are being failed, and will continue to operate as it is. A written complaint will need to be dealt with and they have a certain timeframe to investigate/respond.

Imagine if one of the people without pain killers was your mum/daughter/friend and you witnessed the lack of care they received - you'd complain. Just because it is a stranger doesn't mean you can't highlight these failings to the hospital.

Be factual in your complaint. Write bullet points of what you witnessed/where they failed in patient care and say you expect a response to each one (within the limits of data protection of course)

Nanunanu Sun 03-Jul-16 22:30:23

Complaining is important here but you can also totally ask to be referred to a different hospital. Make an apt to see your gp and explain the above.

Babyroobs Sun 03-Jul-16 22:34:47

Thanks Nanu - I was hoping that would be the case. I think I'm just worried that as I'm already now in the system at this hospital, it would be hard to switch or that I will have to wait longer to be referred elsewhere. I will speak to my GP later in the week.

MiscellaneousAssortment Sun 03-Jul-16 23:42:02

Ask your gp for a referral to a different hospital. That's exactly what I did after a truly hideous experience when transferred to an awful hospital after an emergency admission. I have PTSD from the inhumane and terrifying behavior of a staff.

I have never felt so unsafe anywhere in my whole life. And I was too ill to protect myself against the neglect, mistakes, willful refusal to follow essential drug regimes, and shockingly bad misdiagnosis by an arrogant bastard who didn't even bother to talk to me directly, he just ripped back my curtain to stand facing away from me at the foot of my bed to tell a crowd of student his words of wisdom, stereotyping and false assumptions based on nothing more than his own arrogance. Lovely man. Lovely hospital. sad

There is NO excuse for disrespect and inhumanity.

MiscellaneousAssortment Sun 03-Jul-16 23:45:48

Sorry got a bit too into the rant!

To reassure you I haven't yet complained as it's still too upsetting (ahem, over a year later!). But my gp was really happy to refer me to another hospital and it wasn't too long a wait.

Cheby Sun 03-Jul-16 23:52:11

Firstly, SAU is not the same as a normal ward, and planned care. Its usually vaguely organised chaos, in most hospitals, due to the nature of what they do.

So a planned surgery in that hospital may actually be a completely different experience.

Having said that, I'd have no confidence in them either. I recently sat in a bloody chair in our local SAU for 13 hours before finally being admitted to a ward at 1am. I'd had abdominal surgery 48 hours previously and was in so much discomfort. So many stupid things went wrong, so easily fixed. My GP now knows I won't accept referral to my local hospital.

If I were you I would a) complain about your recent experience and b) speak to your GP about being referred to a different hospital. You have the right to choose where you are treated, but you should be prepared for a potentially longer wait depending on where you choose to go.

foreverandalways Sun 03-Jul-16 23:55:55

I too have recently witnessed the same....I am currently recovering from major upper neck and spinal surgery and the whole experience of the hospital stay has actually terrified me of ever having to go back not just to there but to any hospital....I was quite literally terrified and also witnessed conversations between staff, neglect, lack of hygiene on the ward, errors with medication and the poor care of an elderly patient on the ward......I feel mentally distraught over the whole episode and will most certainly be making a formal complaint within the next few previously said, we must make those above with authority, aware of what is happening so as hopefully the issues can be addressed .......

Justbeingnosey123 Sun 03-Jul-16 23:59:03

As pp have said you should definitely complain to pals so this is looked into poor care in hospitals should always be questioned so hopefully practice can be changed. But in answer to your question you are entitled to request your care be at a different Nhs hospital. I would recommend going on nhs choices it's a website with reviews by patients of hospitals, it could help give you an impression of where locally you would prefer to be treated.

YoungGirlGrowingOld Mon 04-Jul-16 08:43:25

Please do complain and ask for a different hospital. Your GP has no doubt heard it before.

I had a very similar experience culminating in years of treatment for anxiety and PTSD. NHS hospitals terrify me.

SinkyMalinks Mon 04-Jul-16 11:58:36

Please complain to PALS. I'm a doctor, and hear not dissimilar stories only too frequently. I always ask patients to put a formal complaint/comment in (it's amazing how many feel it's disloyal to the NHS or that it would be held against them).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now