Talk

Advanced search

About tooth whitening at home

(36 Posts)
Appleand Sat 02-Jul-16 22:12:26

Anyone used Dr George's Tooth whitening kit with good results? I have really yellow teeth by nature and they've gotten darker with age and red wine etc. Using pearldrops etc does help to brighten them but not a lot.

Fomalhaut Sat 02-Jul-16 22:19:17

I wouldn't. Home kits can be dodgy

BoopTheSnoot Sat 02-Jul-16 22:20:44

These things can really damage your tooth enamel. See your dentist before doing anything, some offer treatments at the surgery that are safer than home kits.

Cookingongas Sat 02-Jul-16 22:24:50

I had a home whitener - three years later dentist and I are still working through the damage done sad

They're whiter no doubt, but weaker, sensitive and exposed now too. They were strong, healthy and yellow before sad

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Sat 02-Jul-16 22:39:45

I've just finished a course from my dentist. My teeth are also naturally yellow (weak as well), so they haven't gone white but at least I can now smile without looking away or keeping my mouth closed.
The sensitivity is quite bad even with the solution from the dentist so I'm pretty sure it would be worse with an over-the-counter kit.
Dentists sometimes have offers on, you could ring around or google.

joangray38 Sat 02-Jul-16 23:00:12

I only drink Pepsi max so my teeth were very yellow. Bought a tub of coconut oil and did oil pulling for 3 weeks and my teeth are a lot whiter and my gums healthier.

CakeNinja Sat 02-Jul-16 23:03:57

My dentist was not happy when I said I was thinking about a home whitening kit. He said they can do serious long lasting damage.
I didn't bother, and I didn't pursue options he offered either.
Basically, although they're not perfectly white, I'd rather have strong healthy if a little off white teeth than weakened ones.
It's worth speaking to your dentist before continuing I think.

SoleBizzz Sat 02-Jul-16 23:06:58

m.boots.com/h5/cat_hub?unCountry=uk&path=%2Fen%2FOral-B-3D-White-Luxe-Perfection-Toothpaste-75ml_1775828%2F

springydaffs Sat 02-Jul-16 23:26:47

Bought a tub of coconut oil and did oil pulling for 3 weeks and my teeth are a lot whiter and my gums healthier.

What's that??

Mrsmorton Sat 02-Jul-16 23:30:41

springydaffs

Bullshit. That's what that is!

FlyingElbows Sat 02-Jul-16 23:54:56

There's a reason dentists were invented.

Crunchymum Sat 02-Jul-16 23:57:55

Was just reading about bicarbonate of soda being good for teeth stain removal on another thread!!!

KimmySchmidtsSmile Sat 02-Jul-16 23:58:02

Banana skin acc to DD confused nope, me neither.

MrsSpecter Sun 03-Jul-16 00:01:40

Glo white toothpaste. The one for tea and coffee drinkers is brilliant.

I have tried many teeth whitening toothpastes and always got sensitive teeth so had to keep going back to using sensodyne. Ive been using the glo white for months with no sensitivity and its by far the best results out of all the pastes ive used.

Appleand Sun 03-Jul-16 00:13:19

Thank you all. I have talked to my dentist who said that due to the natural colour of my teeth, they would need to be whitened by bleaching. For sensitive teeth, she said that the strength of the bleaching agent (hydrogen peroxide?) should be 10%, no more than that. Dr Georges has it around 5% or 6%. Crest's whitening strips has it around 6%. So I feel confident about giving it a go. Whitening toothpastes don't have enough effect for my liking.

SpiceLinerandHoneyLove Sun 03-Jul-16 00:15:59

Oil pulling is a load of codswallop.
Try Colgate Whitestrips. I had my teeth professionally laser whitened ten years ago and interim use of the Whitestrips has maintained the whiteness

SpiceLinerandHoneyLove Sun 03-Jul-16 00:17:56

And who only ever drinks Pepsi Max? Your insides must be buggered

HormonalHeap Sun 03-Jul-16 00:41:37

I used a home kit 3 years ago and have been left permanently with teeth so sensitive that I am not even able to eat a cold apple from the fridge with out excruciating nerve pain. It wears the enamel off. Just don't do it.

RobinHumphries Sun 03-Jul-16 01:33:59

It sounds like you've already made up your mind to give it a go but I've been googling, I can't find anything on the uk site (smiles-4-you) unless I'm looking at the wrong site about the strength. The American site has it between 15-16%. Also the uk site does not offer custom fit trays.
The crest strips as far as I can see are 14%

Just5minswithDacre Sun 03-Jul-16 02:24:47

I tried oil pulling once. I threw up. It is very very wrong as a sensation and probably hocus pocus anyway.

NeedsAsockamnesty Sun 03-Jul-16 02:32:15

It can leave you with significant and long lasting tooth pain that will make you want to cry lots, your teeth may be whiter but you will feel like your head is on fire so you won't care how white they are.

EttaJ Sun 03-Jul-16 12:59:40

Same as honeylove I had laser whitening by my dentist and use crest white strips to top up if needed then go back to the dentist to get it done annually. Don't go anywhere other than a dentist or try any weird kits because things can go wrong. Google man with home in throat after home whitening incident.

gruffalo13 Sun 03-Jul-16 13:04:25

The Oral B 3D white toothpaste has got rid of my coffee stains 😀

AdoraKiora Sun 03-Jul-16 13:09:56

I've been using the Crest whitening strips for years. I use the Advanced ones that you wear for 30 mins and I use them twice a year, maybe. They lift your teeth a couple of shades - not gleaming white, but definitely fresher. I'm nearly 40 and have had no adverse effects at all.

I generally agree that dentists know best, but I do think a lot of the 'home whitening will ruin your teeth' stuff is about dentists wanting to hold on to a very lucrative business. The percentage of hydrogen peroxide in the vast majority of home whitening kits is no higher than what dentists use in the in-practice whitening treatments they do (they use lower percentages in the home whitening they offer - with the trays that you have to wear every night for weeks, which lo and behold, works out healer...)

I'd give it a go and see how you get on If you have sensitivity or arent pleased with the results, I doubt a one-off treatment will cause long lasting problems.

MatildaTheCat Sun 03-Jul-16 13:10:14

I did the trays from my dentist and they worked very well and can be topped up. I've also had laser twice and it was much less effective.

Never use medical items purchased over the Internet, it could be any old shit from any old place. You have absolutely no idea.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now