...to not provide lunch for a joiner?

(88 Posts)
boggysiscuit Fri 01-Jul-16 22:09:42

We've got someone coming Mon-Weds next week to build some cupboards and change kitchen layout a bit. One bloke. I was going to buy nice biscuits and make sure tea/coffee/milk/sugar is well-stocked. DH thinks we should make him up some sandwiches and get in some extra crisps and chocolate bars. We live a 3 minute walk from a large supermarket and an excellent chippy. Who IBU?

Samcro Fri 01-Jul-16 22:10:33

No no they bring thier own or go to a cafe

DoreenLethal Fri 01-Jul-16 22:11:44

DH thinks we

Does he mean you?

LottieDoubtie Fri 01-Jul-16 22:12:05

Er no, you are not a canteen!

Samcro Fri 01-Jul-16 22:12:36

I tld dh, hes in the trade, he said no

Imknackeredzzz Fri 01-Jul-16 22:13:19

For gods sake biscuits and tea is more than enough! U don't make trades people lunch!

blueskywithclouds Fri 01-Jul-16 22:13:22

I didn't. I've only known workmen to either work through lunch or stop and eat it at a cafe.

Farmmummy Fri 01-Jul-16 22:13:56

Definitely not if we are here and having they get tea or coffee and biccies or shown where they are but totally expected to bring their own lunch or go out for it!

HarryPottersMagicWand Fri 01-Jul-16 22:14:13

I have only ever made tea/coffee. They are capable of bringing food for themselves. My kitchen fitters even bring their own kettle and stuff for making tea. They were fab!

AnnaMarlowe Fri 01-Jul-16 22:15:43

We are having lots done in our house at the moment I've had trades people of one type or another in every day for the last 4 weeks.

Tea/coffee and offer good biscuits.
(Make sure you have sugar in the house!)!

Most people working in your house take a break at lunchtime for a bit of peace and quiet in their van or nip off to the local cafe.

nancy75 Fri 01-Jul-16 22:16:37

If I was at home making myself a sandwich I would make them a sandwich too. I have never met a workman who would say no to a bacon sandwich!

Karlakitten1 Fri 01-Jul-16 22:16:38

My bfs hb is a joiner and he has moaned about not being offered a drink at all and being asked to go elsewhere for the toilet. He is a really nice bloke and very clean...honest! But no, YNBU.x

NavyAndWhite Fri 01-Jul-16 22:17:11

No there's no lunch thing going on!

Offer tea, coffee, biscuits and use of toilet.

That's it.

Marmalade85 Fri 01-Jul-16 22:17:55

Wtf? No

PerfectlyPosed Fri 01-Jul-16 22:21:55

My DP is in the trade and he would find it quite uncomfortable if a client provided him with a full lunch mostly because he has an enormous appetite and would eat them out of house and home. Tea and maybe a few biscuits is plenty.

MrsJaxTeller Fri 01-Jul-16 22:26:37

If we have anyone in doing work then I leave a cold lunch for them. DH normally comes home and does lunch for his staff as well if they want some. They even eat it in my kitchen and use my toilets. According to some posts I've read on here people don't allow "workies" to use ther toilets. I even have a loo brush for them to use. wink

katiegg Fri 01-Jul-16 22:26:47

Tea, coffee and biscuits would be the norm. Although if I was at home and making myself something I'd offer to make something for them too. Last few tradesmen who have done work in our house have been friends/relatives so I've bought some extra sandwich stuff etc and told them to help themselves to whatever, but that's a slightly different situation.

whifflesqueak Fri 01-Jul-16 22:27:31

my dp is a joiner.

a client made him lunch once years ago and he still bangs on about it.

because it was so unusual.

and delicious

boggysiscuit Fri 01-Jul-16 22:27:46

I knew I was right!

Preferred biscuit? I'm thinking dark choc hobnobs, pink wafers and crunch creams? (definitely not thinking of myself...oh no)

boggysiscuit Fri 01-Jul-16 22:28:57

And obviously allowed to use loo and to use garden for smoking.

Will even let him park on the drive!

Papergirl1968 Fri 01-Jul-16 22:29:31

I've had work on an extension going on since before Christmas (went way over schedule) and found most of the assorted builders, electricians, plumbers, carpenters etc didn't seem to eat much. My brother, who is a gas engineer, is the same. I think they find it hard to bend on a full stomach.
I didn't offer food, not even biscuits! Did make regular drinks though...

Ineedmorelemonpledge Fri 01-Jul-16 22:30:20

Nah, choc digestives, ginger nuts and custard creams...,

AdoraBell Fri 01-Jul-16 22:31:12

Serious question OP, is your DH Chilean? It's obligatory to provide lunch for anyone working at your home for a full day there, but not here in the UK.

Crunchymum Fri 01-Jul-16 22:31:27

My DP is a tradesman and whilst tea / coffee and use of a loo is always welcome even that isnt expected.

He said if someone made him lunch he'd be scared they wanted him to do the job in the buff grin

PuckyMup Fri 01-Jul-16 22:31:39

My dad is ex trade and he always offers tea/coffee/soft drink and biscuits as standard, and if he makes a bacon butty he offers since he's already cooking .. its roughly a 50/50 take up on it smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now