Talk

Advanced search

To worry about 3 yr olds wearing ties?

(72 Posts)
thearty1 Fri 01-Jul-16 22:05:40

AIBU worrying about the safety of 30 three years olds having to wear ties in their nursery class? This coming September's nursery class (where my DS will be starting) will be the first time where ties have become a compulsory part of the uniform.
The school is recovering from a bad offsted report, and has brought in a new head who is apparently trying to run a tight ship, and the new uniform rules come into effect this September.

This is my first child, who at 3 years old, along with his friends of the same age are a bit wobbly, like to play wrestle, get confused with sharing and other emotional issues. In a class of 30, I believe there will be one full time teacher and just 1 member of support staff.

Am I being unreasonable worrying about the safety of young children wearing ties? I'm thinking of questioning the school about it, but will the school just think I'm a troublesome mother before we've even started?

Griphook Fri 01-Jul-16 22:06:39

Are there elastic Or clip on choices?

Out2pasture Fri 01-Jul-16 22:07:20

are they clip on ties?

Sleeperandthespindle Fri 01-Jul-16 22:08:25

I don't think it's unsafe.

I do think it's totally and utterly ridiculous though. Uniform is so unnecessary at this age.

NavyAndWhite Fri 01-Jul-16 22:08:48

That's young. Is it a pre prep?

acasualobserver Fri 01-Jul-16 22:08:58

Ties? For three year olds? The world, as they say, has gone mad.

Hockeydude Fri 01-Jul-16 22:12:12

They will be some sort of elastic or clip thing probably so it should be ok.

alltheworld Fri 01-Jul-16 22:12:26

No. My dc preschool does not let children have scarves there for safety reasons

gallicgirl Fri 01-Jul-16 22:13:01

Are those ratios right?

Personally I don't think making a pre-school error wear a formal uniform will have no impact on improving teaching.
I would however want to know how they'll be implanting the EYFS framework and what the general ethos of the school will be.

thearty1 Fri 01-Jul-16 22:13:07

The uniform shop just sells standard ties, not clip on or elastic.

I'm thinking I might just make my DS's tie up into something i can Velcro onto his collars!

thearty1 Fri 01-Jul-16 22:16:19

It's a primary school (state school), which offers a nursery class, for 3 & 4 year olds, for 15 hours a week.

Fairuza Fri 01-Jul-16 22:19:32

The staff ratio has to be at least 1:13.

usual Fri 01-Jul-16 22:20:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

thrillhouse Fri 01-Jul-16 22:20:27

Those ratios do sound off. You can check out the required ratios here www.foundationyears.org.uk/files/2014/07/EYFS_framework_from_1_September_2014__with_clarification_note.pdf

Hadenoughoftumble Fri 01-Jul-16 22:26:23

Who on earth sat in a meeting brainstorming ideas on how to overcome the bad ofsted report and said 'I know! We'll make the nursery class wear ties! Everything will be ok again!'
That is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard.

sixinabed Fri 01-Jul-16 22:29:08

That is so ridiculous, do you really want him to go there? Does not sound safe or sensible to me. Dipping in paint, water, sand, the loo?!? Yuk

IslaSinga Fri 01-Jul-16 22:40:48

That is bonkers. Nursery class should be messy and interactive - the tie is going to get filthy!! I would mention your concerns to the school.

JudyCoolibar Fri 01-Jul-16 22:42:47

What idiot even thought it was a good idea to make three year olds wear uniform? If I were on Ofsted inspector I think I'd mark the school down just for the stupid tie requirement.

flappingbingowings Fri 01-Jul-16 22:45:44

I'd be more worried that they look like a bunch of twats. Like a bunch of 3 year old Michael Goves.

usual Fri 01-Jul-16 22:46:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LaurieMarlow Fri 01-Jul-16 22:48:16

Without going into the safety of it, a school that thinks this is appropriate attire for 3 year olds is so thoroughly idiotic that I couldn't send my child there.

Ineedmorepatience Fri 01-Jul-16 22:50:02

I would be as worried about the child - staff ratios if I were you! 1:13 if there is a qualified teacher in the room 1:8 if there are only level 3 staff!

nocutsnobuttsnococonuts Fri 01-Jul-16 22:56:19

Ties and 3 year olds do not mix and I would be expressing my concern to the preschool and not adhering to the uniform - its completely idiotic!

3 year olds lack common sense - mine spent the majority of her time pretending to be a dog, if she was wearing a tie she probably would have ended up asking another child to take her walkies!

Gileswithachainsaw Fri 01-Jul-16 22:57:04

Seriously? fucking crazy on a child anyway. whoever thought wrapping ties round someone's neck in already stuffy classrooms was a good idea needs their brain scanning.

even worse on a 3 yr old and an accident waiting to happen.

hate hate hate how comfort and practicality go out the window in favour of looking like clones.

hate uniform.

thearty1 Fri 01-Jul-16 22:58:00

I think I must have got the student/teacher ratios wrong! (I hope)

Glad to read that I'm not being ridiculously over sensitive worrying about sending my 3 year old to nursery in a tie. I will contact the school on Monday and discuss this with them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now