Advanced search

To tell you all to call HMRC and check if you are owed any tax???

(27 Posts)
IsItGinTimeYet Fri 01-Jul-16 14:29:45

DH finally called HMRC to check if he had overpaid in the previous tax year (after much nagging from me). We were pleasantly surprised to receive a letter from them this morning saying not only do they owe us almost £3k from 2015-16 they owe us almost £1k from 2014-15!

It took under 10 minutes to make the call. Go on, it has to be worth a try!

Peachesandcream15 Fri 01-Jul-16 15:19:48

Who do you call? What info do you need to give them?

Tikeswithslidestohide Fri 01-Jul-16 15:20:23

are you self employed?

sorenofthejnaii Fri 01-Jul-16 15:22:37

What makes you think people have overpaid? I am more than aware of how much I owe HMRC - company director

Do you do PAYE or your own taxes?

Mrsmorton Fri 01-Jul-16 15:27:25

Also well aware of how much tax I pay. Your mileage may vary with HMRC... Be prepared to owe as well.

Anyway, my advice is to write to them. Much less stress/time than phoning.

justwondering72 Fri 01-Jul-16 15:30:48

My oh recently received an email purporting to be from HMRC about a big tax overpayment he'd apparently made: if he'd just like to click on the link to their 'website' and complete the details for refund to be made. I already know that neither of us are owed tax, so was very sceptical. And yes, it turned out to be a scam.

sorenofthejnaii Fri 01-Jul-16 15:32:33

Your mileage may vary with HMRC

You mean what you may think is an expense is not an expense and is taxable?

I did contact the National Insurance office as I was paying a mixture of NI through self employment and employment. I did get something back but I have no idea if I've paid too much or enough. NI is a minefield if you aren't in a 'normal, single job' but have a mixture of employments of different statuses.

Girlgonewild Fri 01-Jul-16 15:33:38

For people youc an work it out. You know your net profits or pay, you know your annual tax allowance and other reliefs and you can use a calculator. Never just assume your employer and HMRC are right. Get out that piece of paper and a pen and work it out to see if the tax they took off last year is roughly what you would expect.

sorenofthejnaii Fri 01-Jul-16 15:35:19

We were pleasantly surprised to receive a letter from them this morning saying not only do they owe us almost £3k from 2015-16

I would love to know how you overpaid by 3k. You must have paid a lot of tax.

StickTheDMWhereTheSunDontShine Fri 01-Jul-16 15:42:43

YABU. We don't all pay tax, for a start.

BikeGeek Fri 01-Jul-16 16:06:53

HMRC sent me a rebate cheque for 2013/2014 a couple of months ago. Only a 100 quid though. Didn't have to make a phonecall.

PatriciaHolm Fri 01-Jul-16 16:08:40

If you are PAYE, then any refund should happen automatically - they don't just decide to check if you ring them up!

IsItGinTimeYet Fri 01-Jul-16 16:08:54

Due to changing jobs and being placed on an emergency tax code we knew they owed us something, just surprised it was so much. He called the number on the government website and only needed his p60 details for the past year. They took it upon themselves to check the previous year. For the sake of a 10min call it seems worth checking if you are remotely unsure.

IsItGinTimeYet Fri 01-Jul-16 16:11:23

DH is PAYE but they had not received his p60 details from employer yet so we gave them the figure over the phone.

sorenofthejnaii Fri 01-Jul-16 16:13:21

For the sake of a 10min call it seems worth checking if you are remotely unsure

TBH - if he had been placed on a tax code, he should really have got that sorted. I am expected to give people a form when they leave so they can tell the new tax office how much they've paid.

Still, £3k is nice. But I definitely know how much I owe. I've got a little corporation tax bill to pay. Plus the new dividend tax soon.

IsItGinTimeYet Fri 01-Jul-16 16:17:06

The tax code was rectified relatively soon, only the refund that wasn't forthcoming,
I am perfectly aware everyone is in different positions, merely alerting anyone who hasn't considered the issue that they can check.

newlabelwriter Fri 01-Jul-16 16:21:05

Thanks OP, I have never received a tax rebate and been on W/M1 tax a few times so may give them a call.

passingthrough1 Fri 01-Jul-16 16:24:24

Shouldn't they have already recognised the 14-15 overpayment themselves? I was assuming that if you overlay they'd actually try to resolve .. A bit worrying that it doesn't work like that!

sorenofthejnaii Fri 01-Jul-16 16:28:30

Employers have to report in real time now so the system is supposed to prevent over / under payment of tax when people switch jobs.

In theory. This is HMRC though.

IsItGinTimeYet Fri 01-Jul-16 16:45:07

No mention from payroll. HMRC said his situation was not uncommon. If it helps on person I am happy.

Mrsmorton Fri 01-Jul-16 16:50:34

I mean you could end up owing them.

Shannaratiger Fri 01-Jul-16 16:54:12

I'm still on emergency tax code, been working since last February. Hope fully they'll sort it out soon, I don't earn enough to pay any tax.

RaskolnikovsGarret Fri 01-Jul-16 16:55:34

I was on the wrong tax code and hadn't realised blush and had to repay £4K over three years. Not very nice.

GrimmauldPlace Fri 01-Jul-16 16:58:38

In 2012 I got a random rebate from 2008-2009. No idea what triggered it but it's definitely possible for them to not realise straight away!

MunchyMunchkin Fri 01-Jul-16 16:59:07

I finally did the rebate for professional subscriptions for me and DH. We got back £700 and £2000 so very worth it. You can do it all online now and although I had gotten all the receipts ready you don't necessarily need to send them. Cheques arrived in under 2 weeks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now