Talk

Advanced search

To ask your experience and opinion of ARK Teacher Training

(9 Posts)
RangeTesKopeks Fri 01-Jul-16 14:13:35

Hello everyone!

I'm posting here on traffic as I need to make a fairly quick decision - I hope you don't mind!! smile

I've applied to do PGCEs from this September. One of the training providers that I've applied to work with is ARK Teacher Training (for a School Direct placement).

I always had them down had them as my top choice throughout the application process, and I've just heard that I've received an offer to train with them.

They're having an orientation week soon for candidates, and ideally I have to let them know today whether or not I'll be accepting their offer in order to attend the orientation week.

I am very keen to accept the offer. Before I do, I'd just like to ask if any of you have any experience of ARK Teacher Training at all.

I haven't found anything on the Internet that talks about training with them and what it's like apart from on their own website.

I realise it's going to be very full-on and a lot of hard work. I'd be hugely grateful if you could let me know whether you have any experience of training with ARK at all please.

Thanks everyone! smile

acasualobserver Fri 01-Jul-16 14:35:24

ARK - as I'm sure you know - stands for Absolute Return for Kids. As the name might suggest to you, they have a reputation for a certain ruthlessness when it comes to under-performing teachers. However, my experience of them is limited to knowing two teachers who worked for ARK - both of whom failed to meet their exacting standards! For a more balanced appraisal perhaps also post this in the Education > The staffroom?

Madamsecretary Fri 01-Jul-16 14:38:00

Wouldn't touch an ARK school with a very long barge pole.

RangeTesKopeks Fri 01-Jul-16 14:49:13

Oh God. Really. confused Thanks very much casual and Madamsecretary for your posts. Why Madam? Is it for similar reasons to the ones given by casual?

KittyVonCatsington Fri 01-Jul-16 15:36:07

Both current and future Heads of OFSTED are heavily involved in ARK. I've heard anecdotally nothing positive about how they treat their staff. I'd avoid if you can, but if it's the only option, at least you can leave after a year!

RangeTesKopeks Fri 01-Jul-16 16:51:03

Thanks for replying too Kitty! smile out of interest, do you know why the OFSTED Heads are so involved? Do they like it/support it?

hotdiggedy Fri 01-Jul-16 17:19:12

I know someone who did some training in an Ark school, she has nothing good to say about it. I also know someone who worked at an Ark school, again, no good words to say! Train and move on maybe if its your only option?

RangeTesKopeks Fri 01-Jul-16 17:56:37

Oh god :/ thanks for your reply hotdiggedy smile Do you remember what she said? Would you mind letting me know?

Out of interest, did she work with a school in London or elsewhere in the UK?

hotdiggedy Fri 01-Jul-16 18:01:36

It was in London, either central or west, I cant quite remember. Jut that is is all very formal table based style learning. I guess it depends what age you want to teach but they are big on worksheets and the likes which isnt really very early years at all. Not much time for free learning time I think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now