Talk

Advanced search

To take my bike on a train when bikes are allowed

(7 Posts)
feellikeahugefailure Fri 01-Jul-16 09:01:19

People keep complaining about my bike on the train, someone the other day called me selfish and a few people have said "why don't you use your bike" in an unpleasant way.

I have a 60+ mile journey, 5 miles on the bike to the train station a train ride and 2 miles the other end. It would be ridiculous to use my bike the whole journey to do a 120 mile round trip daily. The train company clearly says I can take my bike on and there is a space labelled for bikes / fold up seats / pushchairs / wheelchairs. I would move it if someone with a wheelchair got on.

Why do people in the UK have such an issue with this? Other countries it's pretty normal practice.

Do people really not understand that you might need to use a combination of different travel types?

JacquesHammer Fri 01-Jul-16 09:10:13

I have no problem with people taking bikes on trains.

I have a problem with people taking bikes on trains and not putting them in the bike holder.

On our trains the space with foldable seats is clearly labelled for wheelchairs/pushchairs only. People still dump their bikes in them, then toddle off

traviata Fri 01-Jul-16 09:13:35

it does depress me, the way many people in the UK are so dismissive and nasty about cycling.

yes, I get it, that some cyclists are selfish, ride on the pavement, jump red lights, etc. but many, many car drivers are selfish and aggressive and yet people have this negative attitude towards bikes.

I read a survey which suggested that many people think that cycling is just for children. What a shame. What a missed opportunity to improve health.

If I were President, it would be mandatory to take a cycling proficiency test before you were allowed to learn to drive a car (with suitable adaptations for disabled riders, natch). Bikes would have priority at all junctions. Anyone who used a bike for part of their commute would get tax allowances. And so on.

ApostrophesMatter Fri 01-Jul-16 09:13:42

I'd complain if I had to stand because your bike was occupying a space with fold up seats.

Lozzamas Fri 01-Jul-16 09:35:01

I have no issue with a properly stored bike. Although admittedly there isn't room for as many bikes as turn up in these spaces. I do object loud and long on those bikes folded up or propped up in the carriages. When I board the train is a cattle truck with more standing than sitting, and manoeuvring around bikes without ripping your tights or being shoved along into what people consider space to be rammed into unseen bikes angers me. However my objections aren't reserved for bikes - I don't like abandoned luggage or people with huge back packs for the same reasons. I guess my view is its OK if it's in the proper rack - in my case that's in the guards carriage, or outside of rush hours.

witsender Fri 01-Jul-16 09:46:51

Do you use the bike racks? If there aren't enough, perhaps the train company need to hear about it. An incorrectly placed bike on a busy train is fucking irritating.

Scholes34 Fri 01-Jul-16 10:02:27

If it's causing you, and others grief, have you thought about having a second bike locked at the station close to work, so you can do the short journey on that, rather than taking a bike on the train?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now