To feel a bit guilty for not saying anything ...

(6 Posts)
UsedtobeFeckless Fri 01-Jul-16 00:00:40

When a bunch of pissed ex-colleagues started slagging off my current manager on a night out ...

Bunch of bods I used to work with ( and two I still do ) in a restaurant after lots of wine start bitching about our new manager - who I like and who has done me a lot of good turns - I didn't say anything and now I feel like a bit of a weasel for not piping up. It wouldn't have made any difference, though, as the two who still work there resent her for not letting them skive off for hours and the rest have a vague grudge as she took over from someone they all like ( She - the ex manager - was leading the charge tonight )

What would you lot have done?

BerylStreep Fri 01-Jul-16 00:41:47

I probably would have said something along the lines of 'you are all entitled to your opinion, but XX has always been good to me / has never done me any harm.

I'd also make a mental note not to go out with them again.

UsedtobeFeckless Fri 01-Jul-16 08:28:03

I think I might give them a miss in future - we used to have a good laugh and a lot of mutual support ( Workplace has been through some fairly turbulent times lately which is why so many people have left ... ) But now there's a new regime and everything is changing - more money and sensible hours but much less opportunity for mooching about and three hour lunch breaks because the manager's your mate - and the whole dynamic felt different last night - just bitching for the sake of it - so I think I'm better off making a bit of distance as I felt quite uncomfortable and generally a bit weird about the whole evening!

2nds Fri 01-Jul-16 08:31:33

They were drinking so I think you were right to not say anything because it could well have started a fight.

Tbh in future I just wouldn't go out with them, just keep your head down at work, there are times when you should speak up and times when you shouldn't and I think you made the right choice in that instance.

UsedtobeFeckless Fri 01-Jul-16 08:46:41

I'm sort of caught in the middle as the new manager has promoted me and part of my new role is to police the two who majorly take the piss because the old manager was their BFF so I think part of the feeling bad last night was because I felt like it was a sideways swipe at me too ...

pippinandtog Fri 01-Jul-16 09:52:27

All the more reason, Usedtobe, to not go out with them; just take a step back and get on with your work while feelings settle down after the changes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now