Boris looks so relieved

(68 Posts)
noclevername Thu 30-Jun-16 21:57:38

What if Gove was asked to help Boris out, by saving him from the prospect of being PM ? From his appearance after the Brexit results, Boris looked rather overwhelmed at the prospect of being PM and having to clear up the mess he had contributed towards ?

crossroads3 Thu 30-Jun-16 22:04:15

youtu.be/4Hx_BxzAjxg

This sums up what I think of Boris Johnson.

mathsy Thu 30-Jun-16 22:18:41

Good theory. I like it. Boris knew he would be absolutely rubbish in all the negotiations and needed an out.

flappingbingowings Thu 30-Jun-16 22:26:21

He wasn't relieved, just flummoxed. He had been totally outfoxed by Gove. Boris is an unprincipled shyster whose supported Brexit purely for his own personal gain. Unfortunately for him, Gove is smarter than him, and also a sociopath, so stabbed him back, front and everywhere else. At least Corbyn is doing a sterling job as leader of the opposition. Oh hang on........

It would be funny if it wasn't so serious

Destinysdaughter Thu 30-Jun-16 22:28:06

Boris is such a chicken his face should be on KFC buckets!

PortiaCastis Thu 30-Jun-16 22:34:40

Genuine question
Did Boris ever say he would stand as a candidate, or was it just widely expected?

flappingbingowings Thu 30-Jun-16 22:42:26

He was just about to announce his candidature when Gove announced his, catching him on the hop. He had a bunch of MPs all lined up to support him.

www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/30/goves-thunderbolt-boris-johnson-tory-morning

Topseyt Thu 30-Jun-16 22:44:37

I don't think Boris ever denied he would stand until today. He let everyone think he would.

He doesn't want to have to clean up the shit that he created after it had hit the proverbial fan.

I am relieved too that there is no longer a possibility of him becoming PM (for now).

Hope Gove doesn't get it though.

PortiaCastis Thu 30-Jun-16 22:58:11

Thank you
Et tu brute

I quite like Theresa May, at least she's better than Gove

flappingbingowings Thu 30-Jun-16 23:02:47

Theresa May at least seems to have some integrity - something missing from Boris/Gove.

And a woman as PM is to be cheered I believe.

GiddyGiddyGoat Thu 30-Jun-16 23:08:51

Well it comes to something when Theresa May starts to look like a relief!!
She'll repeal the ECHR in the UK before you can blink. watch this space...
They're all shameless fuckers.

PortiaCastis Thu 30-Jun-16 23:09:28

Absolutely

flappingbingowings Thu 30-Jun-16 23:11:05

Giddy, May has stated she doesn't want to repeal the ECHR in her speech this morning. I agree they are all a bunch of fuckers, but I think she is a lesser fucker

flappingbingowings Thu 30-Jun-16 23:13:24

The Mail (hiss boo) has endorsed Theresa May. I think Gove is fucked. Oh what a pity

LaContessaDiPlump Thu 30-Jun-16 23:22:14

I think it's all been plotted from the outset, from the realisation that leave had won.

"Boris? Fuck no, he doesn't want the job as it is now and we don't want him in it. But we need a leading Brexiteer to stand. Gove? Gove, you'll do but Boris will have to stand down first. Jolly good, off you fuck.
Now Gove, everyone hates you because you were a cunt about Education. If we put someone competent opposite you, they will surely be in with a good chance even if their stance on civil liberties does make Maggie look soft and fluffy. Let's throw a few more hats in the ring to entertain the media. You, bigoted Welshman - get in the line. Everybody smile nicely and wait for the electorate to say 'Well at least SHE seems competent', and job's a good 'un. What the fuck is going on with Jeremy over there, by the way?"

This feels a bit too careful to be chaos, IYSWIM.

WallisSimpson11 Thu 30-Jun-16 23:23:50

Boris resting his head on a Policeman's shoulder - Daily Mirror front page- Priceless, just brilliant grin

PortiaCastis Thu 30-Jun-16 23:27:36

Anyone watching question time?

flappingbingowings Thu 30-Jun-16 23:33:54

LaContessa, they hate each other too much to have plotted this from the start.

Gove is an idealogical conviction politician. He is very smart, he truly believes he is right, and he believes he has God on his side. I have had dealings with him as SoS for Justice, and think he is a total shitbag.

May is more pragmatic - she is a consensus builder and will listen to others with differing opinions. She is very far from perfect, but given the calibre of the others she is the only one who I would want to see as Prime Minister.

JudyCoolibar Thu 30-Jun-16 23:39:55

May has some integrity?

This is the person who prefaced the fiction about an illegal immigrant who couldn't be deported because he had a pet cat with the words "I am not making this up." Only she was.

pensivepolly Thu 30-Jun-16 23:39:57

Totally agree with you, OP. I think this was set up by the two of them - Gove falling on his sword for Boris. Think about how carefully orchestrated everything has been, right up through the "leaked" email yesterday. Boris doesn't want to be PM now - there's too much work and too much blame involved.

serin Thu 30-Jun-16 23:42:47

Haha...Loved the arrogance of TM today,

"I should be PM because I AM Theresa May".

But she is the best of terrifying bunch.

Quite like Andy Burnham as leader of labour party and I think he is playing a blinder by keeping his head down and out of all the madness.

WallisSimpson11 Thu 30-Jun-16 23:46:15

Theresa May is the real deal.

serin Thu 30-Jun-16 23:46:59

Judy I didn't know that about May and the cat sad

In the words of Amnesty International "Love will save us all", it's all that's left.

LaContessaDiPlump Thu 30-Jun-16 23:47:45

I don't know.... I suspect plottery. Not disputing that Gove is a shitbag though.

I feel like the Tories have learned from Labour's mistakes (when Gordon replaced Tony) and are making the process more long-winded so they can get the public used to the idea of a successor and hopefully make us feel like we've influenced matters (plus they'll be sure to feverishly watch us for signs of warming to their favoured candidate and fan those flames if possible).

Ugh. It's all so unlike what I had hoped democracy would be.

dodobookends Thu 30-Jun-16 23:47:57

For the last few days Boris has looked like a person who's been handed a hand grenade with the pin out. No wonder he looks relieved - he's been able to play pass-the-parcel with it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now