Talk

Advanced search

To ask for a pay rise?

(9 Posts)
sepa Thu 30-Jun-16 21:37:06

I'm currently on mat leave and don't go back for a few months. Im and office manager, and since taking this role on I have considerably increased the profit for what we do (this has been with the help of my fab team)
I have just found out that my office assistant has just had a pay rise up to £17k per annum (which he more than deserves the pay rise and had I been there I would have endorsed it) but this means that my wage is now less than £2k more for a lot more responsibility. Would I be U to speak to my line manager to ask for a pay rise when I do return? If so, what do you think I should ask for (I know it's hard to answer as you don't know what industry I'm in but wondering what sort of salary to ask for as a manager?)
The sort of company I work for is a bit crap with its pay as in its not standard across the whole of our company. I do know that our London manager(s) who do a similar role to me get around £28k. I do not live in London

Lweji Thu 30-Jun-16 21:40:17

You are now earning less than your assistant???

Definitely ask for demand the raise.

ExitPursuedByBear Thu 30-Jun-16 21:41:54

Ask for an equivalent percentage so that the difference is the same as it was.

juneybean Thu 30-Jun-16 21:42:19

I'm on £22k in the North East for an Office Manager role...

nannylife Thu 30-Jun-16 21:43:51

No Lweji she's earning more than them.

I'd ask for a pay rise though op

evelynj Thu 30-Jun-16 21:47:09

Ya probably being U.

Has your assistant been filling in for you or has someone else been doing your role?

Perhaps you will get a nominal pay rise while on mat leave - you shouldn't miss out on benefits due to mat leave but you aren't entitled to more imo-I've known managers to earn less than some of their team & it doesn't promote good relations to go asking for a par rise because someone else has got one, quite the opposite.

I'd say leave it a few months after you're back to see how things go. It sounds like your employers are reasonably fair-would you agree? If so, you'll probabl get a pay rise if and when you deserve one.

CalleighDoodle Thu 30-Jun-16 21:47:59

office manager job where i work in NW was advertised at £30k if that helps. But yes definitely request the meeting to negotiate a pay rise.

sepa Thu 30-Jun-16 22:16:06

One of my managers thought I was taking the piss when he asked what I earned before mat leave (he has access to my pay so no bother telling him) as it was so low
If I don't get a pay rise I doubt I would stay for long after going back as it financially wouldn't make sense with DC at nursery as after paying nursery fees I would be taking home approx £100 a week

My actual managers are lovely. The company are piss takers when it comes to pay.

I had a letter saying I have had a pay rise of less than £500 (and my assistant was for £3k).
I think I will speak to my manager (off the record) and see what he thinks. We do have a good working relationship and do speak about things outside of work. I have a while before I go back to think about it.

My assistant isn't filling in for me whilst I am gone. We have someone covering my job

sepa Thu 30-Jun-16 22:17:02

I think if I do ask then maybe ask for £24k. I'm sure my colleagues (who arnt in London) are on more than this but who knows

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now