To think Robert Galbraith doesn't like women very much - contains spoilers

(16 Posts)
TheoriginalLEM Thu 30-Jun-16 20:14:56

Ive just finished the third cormoran strike book.

Robin is portrayed as over enthusiastic, trying to hardnot to bea victim, well...victim.

In the end shewas surplas to the killers requirements and hadno part on figuring out who.it was (despite a close up encounter previous ) and catching him. Strike made dure she was safely out of the way before hiring a prostitute to use asbait (so not worth worrying about)

Robin "stuffed up" by forcing a paedophile to "go to ground" by wading in without evidence. and had toddled off to marry a controlling twat who colluded with mummy to wrench her away from her job.

He really doesn't like women very much at all does he??

ClaraLane Thu 30-Jun-16 20:16:38

You know Robert Galbraith is JK Rowling right?

Whatslovegottodo Thu 30-Jun-16 20:16:39

Perhaps a spoiler warning is needed on this thread!
You know who Robert Galbrairth is, right?!

Meltingrocks Thu 30-Jun-16 20:16:49

wonders wether to state the obvious ...

CaitSith Thu 30-Jun-16 20:17:13

But, Robert Galbraith is a woman confused

UpOnDown Thu 30-Jun-16 20:17:29

Isn't that JK Rowling's pseudonym?

Beeziekn33ze Thu 30-Jun-16 20:17:52

I think JK Rowling probably doesn't dislike women, she is one. Robin and Cormoran are both interesting characters.
Should this post be on the Books forum?

Marmaladeday Thu 30-Jun-16 20:22:09

Robin and Cormoran both are flawed and interseting characters. I think that book built Robin a lot to make her badass in the next installment.
I really doubt JK Rowling hates women.

TheoriginalLEM Thu 30-Jun-16 20:32:12

grin it does read like she doesn't like Robin though. and yes i knew!!

Whatslovegottodo Thu 30-Jun-16 20:35:28

Phew grin was worried about revealing that spoiler!

Nan0second Thu 30-Jun-16 20:41:54

Spoilers:

I think robin's relationship is abusive to be honest. So many red flags re her controlling fiancé. I cheered when they broke up and was gutted when she felt guilty and went back to him possibly overinvested or spending too much time on the relationships board
I like the books overall though. I get a bit annoyed that her and Strike won't communicate better with eachother but I appreciate it would ruin half the twists...

TheoriginalLEM Thu 30-Jun-16 20:42:14

but honestly, i would have struggled with robins depiction if i didn't know she was written by a woman

Fidelia Thu 30-Jun-16 20:52:43

I suspect that there is a lot of the pre-marriage break-up JK Rowling in the Robin character. I think Robin will change as the books go on.

NuggetofPurestGreen Thu 30-Jun-16 20:59:12

Women can be sexist too! I don't mind Robin really but hate her husband.

I think the Harry Potter series is more problematic in terms of representation of women tbh

FraggleMountain Thu 30-Jun-16 21:20:06

I really like how Robin is written, it's a complex and interesting character. Clever and brave yet no hints of Mary-Sue. I also appreciate the description of Strike as a decent bloke who respects women/people, but who has never taken gender studies or thought particularly deeply about equality. I thought that was done particularly well - the books frequently deal with misogyny, but staying within what you are prepared to believe is reasonable behaviour and reaction from the main characters.

FraggleMountain Thu 30-Jun-16 21:22:54

Though I agree OP - some of the descriptions of Robin's looks would have been creepy from a male author. Not that that usually stops them...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now