Advanced search

To ask if any of you have ever used an employment lawyer

(13 Posts)
summerrosegarden Wed 29-Jun-16 22:22:47

And if so, how much did they charge? I need a solicitor but am worried about it costing thousands and thousands of pounds.

MarcelineTheVampire Wed 29-Jun-16 22:25:30

They usually do a consultation with you for free and you would be able to get an estimate of their costs from there.

Depends what you need them for? For example, if it's an employment dispute/tribunal try going through ACAS first they may be able to help you free of charge or try CAB.

VocalDuck Wed 29-Jun-16 22:26:59

Do you have legal cover as part of your house insurance, as that would go towards fees. Otherwise are you in the union?

edwinbear Wed 29-Jun-16 22:28:38

Yes, I have. I had a 15 min free consultation when we ran through the issue, she said she thought I had a case and followed up with a quote of around £1,500. As it happened as soon as I mentioned I had spoken to a lawyer, my employer took my complaint a lot more seriously and it was resolved without needing to use her.

summerrosegarden Wed 29-Jun-16 22:30:41

Thank you. It's related to false accusations x

OliviaShoo Wed 29-Jun-16 22:32:02

after a free consultation £200p/h

MarcelineTheVampire Wed 29-Jun-16 22:32:29

I would go through ACAS...get some advice and go from there.

edwinbear Wed 29-Jun-16 22:33:39

I did explore the cover provided by my home insurance, but found it quite restrictive. You had to use one of their appointed firms and the case had to have over a certain percentage chance of winning. I can't remember exactly what that percentage was, but it was over 50%, as determined by them.

AlanParsnip Thu 30-Jun-16 08:50:48

I used, they are a charity that offer fixed - price advice and negotiations so you know what you're getting into. They were v good and mine was £500 to negotiate and sign a redundancy agreement but they'll def have a first discussion for free and give you a price based on the circumstances.

redhat Thu 30-Jun-16 08:53:04

I'm an employment lawyer. PM me and I might be able to give you a recommendation in your area.

dangermouseisace Thu 30-Jun-16 09:03:43

if you do have the house insurance cover I wouldn't be put off by having to use their legal expenses solicitor. A friend quit usual practice to work for legal expenses cover one as fed up with new legal aid funding/employment tribunal rules. Friend is very good, and very well qualified- there must be loads of others in their position!

redhat Thu 30-Jun-16 09:13:39

You don't have to use the insurer's solicitors (they might try to tell you this but it is just a try on. You can use whoever you like but they have to charge a rate which is within the insurers bands)

Anonymousperson Thu 30-Jun-16 21:26:15

I used one via my house insurance who took my case on because He thought I had higher than a 51% chance of success.

The house insurance paid the first xx amount of his hourly fee and I was supposed to pay the rest.

After I won the case, he refused to invoice me for the money I owed him as he thought I had been put through the mill enough.

Since then he has helped me out with my will & my house move by introducing his colleagues to me who also as a gesture of goodwill discount their rates.

I hope you get it sorted. Acas are very good in the first instance.

It's not a pleasant experience but you have to believe in yourself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now