Talk

Advanced search

To book myself a writing retreat?

(14 Posts)
QuestionableMouse Wed 29-Jun-16 22:16:14

I'm trying to finish the book I'm writing but if I'm at home, people disturb me. I'm thinking about booking a night or two in a lovely local hotel to finish it. I mentioned it to a friend who basically said she thinks I'm bonkers for doing it and if I'm staying at a hotel, I should go somewhere to see the sights.

AIBU?

useyourimagination Wed 29-Jun-16 22:18:31

Definitely do it but think carefully about being too local. I'd go a little further afield to avoid any last minute 'emergencies' that might require you popping home for an hour or two.

QuestionableMouse Wed 29-Jun-16 22:51:07

Good point about being too local. I really like the hotel and it's about 30 mins drive away from where I live.

It's not so much that my family disturb me deliberately- they're just there, iyswim.

QuestionableMouse Thu 30-Jun-16 00:21:07

Ugh, just realised how wanky 'writing retreat' sounds. I just mean a couple of days alone in a hotel to get some work done!

OlennasWimple Thu 30-Jun-16 00:30:05

YANBU - I'm thinking of doing the same thing myself...

Haggisfish Thu 30-Jun-16 00:45:00

Yanbu. Sounds utterly blissful!

QuestionableMouse Thu 30-Jun-16 12:33:23

It's less than £100 for two nights if I go later in the year. I think i'll book when I get paid.

AristotlesTrousers Thu 30-Jun-16 13:12:03

Ooh, I think it sounds like a great idea. Go for it! Wish I could. envy

littleprincesssara Thu 30-Jun-16 13:14:33

Definitely definitely do it! Not wanky at all.

roundandroundthehouses Thu 30-Jun-16 13:16:59

YANBU smile - taking a couple of days away for yourself, for any purpose, is a great idea. Some people would go for a spa weekend; your friend would see the sights; and you want to write. It sounds wonderful! I'd second the advice not to be too close to home, though.

adrianabelshaw Thu 30-Jun-16 13:31:05

Do it!

acasualobserver Thu 30-Jun-16 13:43:33

What about staying with a quiet friend or relative for £0? You'll only be sitting at a desk.

snackered Thu 30-Jun-16 13:44:30

Do it. You could always try an Arvon writing retreat to stop yourself being tempted to turn it into a holiday. (I have no willpower).

www.arvon.org/retreats/

QuestionableMouse Thu 30-Jun-16 16:31:54

Snack, that looks fab but it's a bit more than I can afford. smile

My friends would want me to interact with them if I was staying. There's a huge draw to locking myself in a hotel room for a couple of days and just writing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now