Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to expect my son to have a prospective employer that acts professionally?

(14 Posts)
SomeDaysIDontGiveAMonkeys Tue 28-Jun-16 17:20:09

My adult son (late twenties) who has ASD but is high functioning in people orientated situations, has recently been offered a job by a leading petroleum company as a forecourt assistant in one of their garages. He has undertaken a number of roles since leaving university but they have tended to be temp roles and this was offered as a permanent full-time position.

Anyhoo, job was offered about 5 weeks ago by manager of the garage in a phone call. DS then had to pay for a new passport (nearly £100 old one ran out at the end of last year) to prove his nationality and identity, even though he provided his birth certificate, his previous passport, HMRC letters proving his address etc. He also had to pay £18.00 for a doctor’s letter confirming that he had not had a seizure for over 12 months.

He is however STILL waiting for the offer letter. Whilst DS has been waiting for that, the company also asked him to attend two training days, which he did AND also undertake their staff online training programme, which he has also completed (online training approx 16-hours).

The manager has only given DS his mobile number and a hotmail address as a means of contacting him, which seems at the least informal and at the worst totally unprofessional to not give DS a company email address for DS to contact the manager on.

DS has asked now several times for confirmation on the role title, hours, the rate of pay and T&Cs etc. Nothing has been forthcoming. At the interview the Manager said the job was full-time permanent, £15,000 per year, 8am-pm Monday to Friday.

Manager called today and said could DS start work tomorrow morning, we advised DS to say no and that he will be available to start on Monday (especially since he is actually staying at his Dad’s at the moment) but in the meantime pls could the manager email over the offer letter at least just to review it and then sign it in person next week.

Manager has said on the phone that offer letter will be provided when he starts work there and he cannot email it over as its twenty pages. (surely the offer letter would have originally been created on a computer so why can’t it be emailed)?

When pushed for more information the Manager now says that the salary will be £8,900 per year for 24 hours a week and that it will be a try out position at first. NOT the £15,000, full time role he was offered originally.

Frankly, as far as I am concerned it just sounds very unofficial, highly disorganised, unprofessional and possibly dishonest.
His father and I are tempted to advise DS to tell the company to shove it. WWYD.

(We obviously understand that garages tend to be franchises but even so we have checked with this particular company and all franchise owners are expected to act in a uniformed way for all the company’s policies and procedures).

Any advice would be hugely appreciated, especially from any HR experts out there.

Thanks v much!

Girlgonewild Tue 28-Jun-16 18:19:53

A lot of this goes on. It took ages for my son (Royal Mail) to get any sort of contract from a very big employer. It seems the lower your pay the less likely you will get a contract sent in advance. That does not mean it's right of course. Even big companies can be amazingly lax with staff on low wages. I am not even sure my son has his full contract for the full time role.

I suspect unless your son has a lot of other offers he should just take this and start on Monday even if he continues to look for a clearer full time role somewhere else. The saying it was a full time job when it was only part time however is very unusual and wrong to me as some people would need the full time pay just to pay their rent and would not want the half pay and half hours so I am surprised they thought your son would be happy with that.

SomeDaysIDontGiveAMonkeys Tue 28-Jun-16 18:33:21

Thanks Girl - kind of good to know its not unusual, but not good also, if you know what I mean. DS is not happy about the full-time to part-time concept at all as he still lives at home and really wants to be able to afford his own place, which this wouldn't enable him to do. Thanks again!

ChicRock Tue 28-Jun-16 18:38:40

If he doesn't currently have a job or anything else in the pipeline I would advise him to start on Monday and see how it goes while looking for something else.

SomeDaysIDontGiveAMonkeys Tue 28-Jun-16 18:40:48

Thanks Chic, yes you and Girl have a good point. At least it will be extra money in his pocket and additional experience.

DowagerDuchessofDenver Tue 28-Jun-16 19:23:07

Both those jobs are below minimum wage - the full time one massively so. Something not right here.

Sweetpea15 Tue 28-Jun-16 23:54:33

I work for a forecourt franchise and they made me sign all my contracts before I started. Also everyone here apart from the managers/shift runners start as part timers and then the hours go up. Can he offer to stop in an pick up the contract? Has he been paid for the training days?

SomeDaysIDontGiveAMonkeys Thu 30-Jun-16 23:51:19

Thanks Dowager I'm checking the hours/pay with him.

SomeDaysIDontGiveAMonkeys Thu 30-Jun-16 23:54:39

Thanks Sweetpea. He's called the managed and left a message and all so texted him to say that he'll be picking up the contract on Friday so he can read through it over the weekend so mum and dad can go through it with a fine tooth comb. Before signing on Monday. I'll revert next week when we know more. Thanks everyone so much in the meantime.

SomeDaysIDontGiveAMonkeys Fri 01-Jul-16 00:58:35

Manager not managed confused

steff13 Fri 01-Jul-16 01:10:20

I'm in the US, and I'm trying to figure out the minimum wage. It appears that the UK minimum wage is 7.20/hour. Assuming a FT job is 40 hours per week, that's 288 per week x 52 weeks in a year, is 14,976 annually. Is that not how it's calculated there?

Penfold007 Fri 01-Jul-16 06:46:58

Steff you are correct in your calculations except Monday to Friday 8am to 8pm is a 12 hour day so 60 hour week. So 60 hour week equals £4.80 an hour (presuming paid meal break).

RJnomore1 Fri 01-Jul-16 06:49:56

Surely it's 8-5 therefore 40 hours per week? The op made a typo and missed the second time I think. That's 3 days at 8 hours though it could also be 2 at 12 I see.

topcat2014 Fri 01-Jul-16 07:04:38

I don't issue contracts until the employee actually starts work, but I do give offer letters before hand.

My advice would be to start, get the contract, then see how it goes.

Remember, if you don't sign the contract, or get one, then you can't be bound by it - and would just have to give 1 weeks notice.

I think, (but can't remember) that the contract should be issued within a period of 13 weeks or something.

I certainly wouldn't refuse what could be a FT job based on paperwork, if I had nothing else going.

There are always extra hours going in petrol stations.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now