Talk

Advanced search

To be too proud of my dd

(13 Posts)
lookatmeimsandradee Tue 28-Jun-16 13:45:23

Ok my 12 year old son is going to be on stage next month in a professional show. I have taken his picture and that of his two friends who go to the same school and thought about putting it in the local small free community paper. The other mums are happy for me to do this. And the show organisers are fine with it.

I'm really proud that he is doing it and he will have her photos taken anyway by the organisers.

Do you think I'm being too pushy putting it in the local paper ( he's happy with it). Or do you think it's a good thing to do, and would you do it yourself

MarthaElf Tue 28-Jun-16 13:52:10

Some experience of pro and West End theatre here.
Entirely normal for local paper to cover it in all the kids I have known cast.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WellErrr Tue 28-Jun-16 13:54:18

I'm confused. Son or daughter?

mouldycheesefan Tue 28-Jun-16 13:55:37

Sounds good to me!
Hijacking thread as mine are about to audition for similar. Would I have to drive them to and from the theatre every night or is transport normally provided? I presume I can't wait at theatre as its chaperoned? What are the rates of pay? How do kids manage it with school re tiredness if performing till 10pm. Thanks

Witchend Tue 28-Jun-16 14:02:58

Are you the one who had 3 other friends and one parent was refusing to let the photo be published?

MarthaElf Tue 28-Jun-16 17:25:45

Mouldy it might of changed but ours had to be dropped off and picked up. There was a sign up point through stage door and they dropped off and picked up from there.

Unless they were from further afield or on the next day too in which case they were in a hotel and chaperoned between hotel and theatre.

Depending on the show they are on a rota with other kids so not constantly knackered although this might change as they were trying to relax child working hours last time I checked.

mouldycheesefan Tue 28-Jun-16 17:44:00

Thanks Martha did your kids have to miss any school and were they paid? Did you get to see them in the show and were there many rehearsals? Thanks!

MarthaElf Tue 28-Jun-16 19:42:12

Yes kids got paid (I was working rather than my kids but I knew some of the parents) but it wasn't a lot. Broadway stars are getting a LOT a week. In the UK I think it is quite low. I think Matilda kids are on £50 a show. But I was doing fairly big shows. Some local shows probably don't.

Parents got to come free one night and also paid for other shows.

For the ones missing a lot of school there was a tutor.

They will miss if matinees.

Intensive rehearsals initially and then sessions to improve.

The kids have a ball.

Check out the 'not a pushy Mum' forum for theatre Mum advice.

MarthaElf Tue 28-Jun-16 19:44:21

Its 7 years since so apologies if anything has changed. If they are thinking of doing it regularly definitely check out the forum I mentioned.

mouldycheesefan Wed 29-Jun-16 18:44:39

Thanks marthaelf

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now