Talk

Advanced search

Leaves eaten by caterpillars

(12 Posts)
Cloclomomo Tue 28-Jun-16 11:04:04

Posting here for traffic as I need a quick answer...

We are re-doing our garden and have just had some pleached hornbeam trees delivered, but a lot of the leaves have holes in them (obviously eaten by caterpillars or something). I really know nothing about gardening, so I'm wondering if this is an acceptable condition for them to arrive in - can someone with green fingers give me advice please?!

They are quite expensive trees and I don't know whether this is normal. I'll try to post a photo.

Thanks in advance!

Cloclomomo Tue 28-Jun-16 11:08:01

photos

MrsBertBibby Tue 28-Jun-16 11:17:05

There are bugs. They eat leaves. Birds eat them.

I have just been swearing my head off at the motherfucking slugs which have eaten all the flowerheads off one plant, and decimated some seedlings.

Before that, I was inwardly whooping at a wren nabbing bugs off the backs of the bergenias. Even though I hate bergenias and want to dig them up behind my partner's back (he loves them).

I think the supplier will laugh their arses off if you complain, tbh.

gonetoseeamanaboutadog Tue 28-Jun-16 11:46:46

Am I thinking an insecticide spray would sort this right out?

gonetoseeamanaboutadog Tue 28-Jun-16 11:47:05

right in thinking grin

Cloclomomo Tue 28-Jun-16 11:56:37

Ok, thanks. Not having any experience in these things, I just wasn't sure if the supplier should have been spraying them so they arrived in better condition than this. Thanks!

NuggetofPurestGreen Tue 28-Jun-16 11:59:36

I thought this was another thread about EU ref consequences grin

Ifailed Tue 28-Jun-16 12:03:46

there's no harm in raising this with the supplier, may get a discount? However, as others have stated insects eat plants, especially at this time of year. Can you see any caterpillars on them now?

Cloclomomo Tue 28-Jun-16 13:03:12

No, I can't see any caterpillars now. Thanks again for the advice

milliemolliemou Tue 28-Jun-16 14:08:59

Definitely go back to supplier. Also ask if they can advise on what's caused it and if they have non-insectide solution to deal with it. Problem with insecticides is (a) they can mean anything eating the dead insects die too, which could include birds/benevolent insects (b) if you aren't careful with spraying eg no wind and targeted (difficult with tall plants) you can also kill benevolent insects. Easier to do before you plant because you can just lean them over. Hornbeams lovely, respect. Presume they are in pots?

MrsTerryPratchett Tue 28-Jun-16 14:30:21

As Joni Mitchell would say, "give me spots on my apples but leave me the birds and the bees".

Cloclomomo Tue 28-Jun-16 18:16:54

Thanks millie. Good info. They are root balls and will be planted in a raised bed

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now