Talk

Advanced search

Oh lord. Jeremy Hunt is throwing his hat into the ring

(50 Posts)
crossroads3 Tue 28-Jun-16 08:26:29

hunting that he is going to run in the leadership contest...

What chances does he have?

Sirzy Tue 28-Jun-16 08:27:12

It just gets scarier!

crossroads3 Tue 28-Jun-16 08:27:47

Hinting not hunting grin

branofthemist Tue 28-Jun-16 08:28:35

No one in their right mind would vote for him, surely?

MaidOfStars Tue 28-Jun-16 08:31:16

Who votes? All party members?

MaidOfStars Tue 28-Jun-16 08:36:57

On Sky saying 'seriously considering'. Pitching his vision of a Brexit Britain - inside single market, limited freedom of movement, calling it the 'Norway Plus' model. Not going to happen.

JudyCoolibar Tue 28-Jun-16 08:40:04

Good grief, the man responsible for a major part of Omnishambles wanting to extend his incompetence to running the entire country. I really would emigrate if that happened.

Hagothehills Tue 28-Jun-16 08:40:13

My initial reaction on reading the title of this thread was 'oh shit ".

I seriously hope he doesn't get it. None of the contenders are appealing but he's terrifying...

Tanith Tue 28-Jun-16 08:48:17

He's not even listed on the "Others" list with Nicky Morgan yet.

Mind you, he does have a history of taking on the poisoned challis and forcing it through so, in their eyes, he might well be the ideal fall guy.

ElleBellyBeeblebrox Tue 28-Jun-16 08:49:36

When I heard this last night I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. It's a fucking joke.

MajesticSeaFlapFlap Tue 28-Jun-16 08:53:15

I think even his mum would vote for some one else

ghostyslovesheep Tue 28-Jun-16 08:55:36

Who votes? All party members? no - unlike labour it's not the party it's a bunch of MPs

OhYouBadBadKitten Tue 28-Jun-16 08:59:58

so democratic isn't it confused

MPs get to select their favourite two then all members get to select their favourite one. but for anyone thinking of joining to try and ensure a reasonable outcome, I'm afraid it's too late, the Tories put a stop to that yesterday by declaring nominations open.

OutToGetYou Tue 28-Jun-16 09:01:37

According to the Conservative Party website the first stage is via MPs, then it goes out to all members. But I think in the past is always been 'managad' without having to go to the membership - i.e. the less popular ones are persuaded to step out.

I think he's a good choice. We'd have civil unrest pretty quickly and there'd have to be a general election. Then the new govt would not be the one that called the referendum and could ignore the result. A party that stars on their manifesto that we would not leave the EU would be pretty popular I reckon. Though how the constituency voting would compare with the proportional representation style of the referendum I'm not sure.
I'm starting to think we need to campaign for PR now.

scarednoob Tue 28-Jun-16 09:01:53

Seaflap that is the first time I have smiled all morning thank you!!

YokoUhOh Tue 28-Jun-16 09:02:10

<no self awareness>

<medical profession running for the hills>

Tanith Tue 28-Jun-16 09:05:29

Anyone else reminded of the episode in which Jim Hacker became PM? grin

TheNaze73 Tue 28-Jun-16 09:06:56

The Conservative MP's narrow it down to 2 choices & then it goes out to members. Hunt would be a hideous choice hmm

Normandy144 Tue 28-Jun-16 09:09:52

Many years ago he as a client of mine on his life before politics. You don't have to think too hard about what his nickname was.....

ThoraGruntwhistle Tue 28-Jun-16 09:14:24

Large numbers of people apparently voted out on the grounds that the NHS might get more funding, only for us to potentially get a PM who wants to kill it off completely. Well done the UK.

crossroads3 Tue 28-Jun-16 09:15:55

I'm starting to think we need to campaign for PR now

^ this

How do we start a mass movement?? Just this would be worth taking to the streets for.

Zorion Tue 28-Jun-16 09:18:05

Who better now that we are going to give 350 million a week to the NHS!!

Good grief. angry

howtorebuild Tue 28-Jun-16 09:19:47

He is trying to reverse leaving the EU, so I think he has potential. There are a lot of grieving remainers who would probably vote for him. sad

crossroads3 Tue 28-Jun-16 09:24:06

I don't think he is trying to reverse leave - he just wants the free trade without the free movement of people and that is never going to happen. Otherwise everyone would be asking for it.

squeezed Tue 28-Jun-16 09:24:15

Surely he can't think that the British people would want him as PM? Although he does seem to live in his own little world. Maybe it would be a way to guarantee that Boris won the contest?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now