Quick help to stop me from BU please

(15 Posts)
BibiBlocksberg Mon 27-Jun-16 20:25:43

Next door neighbour put a shitload of ant powder on his front door step yesterday.

My two cats have an unfortunate habit of sitting outside neighbours door as it's slightly raised & covered (it's a sort of development close with communal gardens so our doors are less than three foot from each other)

Anywho, knocked last night & asked if it was ant powder, they said yes & that they'd had an army of the blighters all of a sudden. Explained am worried about the cats sitting in it & then licking it off their fur & paws.

Obviously don't expect neighbours to be overrun by ants just because I have cats so gave them one of the round bait stations & asked very nicely if they'd mind using that instead for now & i'd get more bait stations for them tomorrow (ie today) - they agreed, all fine & amicable.

Got home from work & they've put another shed load of ant powder down.

Am just about to tie bag with additional ant bait stations round their door handle as their out & am writing a note to go with them.

Was about to add a line asking them not to put any more powder down (pretty please) as i lost a cat to poisoning two years ago and am paranoid about it happening again

Would that be very unreasonable? It's their property so can put down what they like where they like but don't want to end up with another cat seriously ill or dead because i was a cowardly wuss & didn't try to prevent that for them (the cats)

One of them parked his big ass right in the powder earlier, he was a bit shocked to be whisked off to the bathroom to be thoroughly wiped down smile

What say you AIBU jury?

MiniCooperLover Mon 27-Jun-16 20:27:36

Stop your cats sitting on their doorstep. Your issue, not theirs.

SpongeCakeBigPants Mon 27-Jun-16 20:30:55

Could you temporarily keep your cats indoors until his ant problem goes?

IcyTeaAndScoopyScoopyDogDog Mon 27-Jun-16 20:32:42

Sorry, YABU.

You need to move your cats.

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Mon 27-Jun-16 20:34:38

Sorry, I agree with mini, stop the cats sitting outside their house. Those boxes are nowhere near as effective as the powder, and no one should have to live with ants to keep the neighbours happy.

ficbia Mon 27-Jun-16 20:34:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Gizlotsmum Mon 27-Jun-16 20:34:57

If the ant bait things work I don't think you are being unreasonable. However I wouldn't have thought about cats when putting any powder down... Maybe try to catch them and explain about previously having a cat poisoned and being concerned, offer to try to keep your cats away as much as possible.

BibiBlocksberg Mon 27-Jun-16 20:40:33

Yeah, i had thought of that but this time of the year there's no rest until i let them go out.

Sounds somewhat selfish I know but have tried before & they turn into demons who cry all night every night and if that doesn't work the doors and carpets get scratched to buggery (rented flat)

Thought it was a reasonable compromise for me to supply a safer ant killer for as long as it takes to eridacate the buggers? Ants that is, not cats smile

ItsMeTheMummy Mon 27-Jun-16 20:43:30

I don't think that YABU but I think explaining about the previous cat poisoning face to face will be better than a letter. Maybe a quick note now and then do all you can to catch them to speak to tomorrow?

I think it is unreasonable to expect you to keep your cats off their door step, how on earth would you do that? Keep them indoors? That's a cruel thing to do to an outdoor cat.

Surly no one would want to poison their neighbours cat, it'd be awful living next door to them after that, especially if they knew the dangers and continued to put the powder down.

Good luck!

Pinkerbeller Mon 27-Jun-16 20:43:33

Yeah sorry, I'm with the PPs here. Your cats' preference to sit on someone else's doorstep does not trump that person's right to fight an infestation of insects however they see fit.

Don't envy you though. Cats are untrainable arseholes unless someone is on 24/7 watch with a supersoaker.

elizabethdraper Mon 27-Jun-16 20:52:30

You choose to have cats.

Your neighbour choose to have neither cats nor ants

This is your problem, not your neighbours. It the situation was about a dog people would be up in arms about irresponsible pet owners confused

ImperialBlether Mon 27-Jun-16 20:55:06

I can't believe some of these answers. OP, take the alternative along and explain. I'm sure they'll accept that instead.

DeathStare Mon 27-Jun-16 20:58:50

I think you have every right to ask your neighbour not to use the powder.

However your neighbour also has every right to say no. And if he does you'll just have to keep the cats in I'm afraid. The fact that they don't like it isn't your neighbour's problem.

monkeywithacowface Mon 27-Jun-16 20:59:29

The bait stations work far better than powder anyway so I think it's reasonable. I often put one inside and one outside the door depending on how many there are.

BibiBlocksberg Mon 27-Jun-16 21:01:17

Well, I partially agree with the untrainable (at times) but the a holes smile

Although, come to think of it, the two half chewed mice they brought in yet AGAIN at 4.30 this morning might have pushed them towards the 'a hole' category smile

Have had some success in training them not to scratch the furniture or my legs (repeat, repeat repeat ad nauseam, may as well have a toddler) but when it comes to their outside sitting choices i can't be on it every time they park somewhere they shouldn't (though i do try as firmly believe being owned by a cat does not entitle me to shrug & go 'oh well, nothing I can do' when they crap in communal areas etc)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now