Advanced search

.. To make an appointment with gp for infertility??

(16 Posts)
Sassypants82 Mon 27-Jun-16 19:39:19

I'm 34, DH is 39. We have one DC(2yrs)who was conceived in cycle one of ttc.
We have been ttc-ing for no. 2 for six months with no success. Today, I made an appointment for us to speak to our gp & see if we need to take any further steps, or just keep trying. I get regular reflexology & my reflexologist reckons she can feel some small 'nodules' in one of my fallopian tubes & in my uterus. I also had/have ovarian cysts which were smaller than those they treat, as in they weren't big enough to merit treatment at the time (about 3 yrs ago when early pregnant with DC, found during an internal scan to check baby after a bleed, no symptoms caused by cysts at any time). They've not been checked since & I've had absolutely no problems with them if they're even still there.

So my DH reckons I'm getting way too worried about ttc & 'jumping the gun' by making an appointment & he's not sure he's happy to attend. For my part, I reckon six months of a really decent effort is a reasonable amount of time spent trying under our circumstances & now it's time to seek professional advice. My fear is that there is an issue & if there is, I'd rather know so I can adjust my expectations.

Cutecat78 Mon 27-Jun-16 19:42:14

Am sure someone who knows more will be along in a minute but that's only 6 eggs?

Do you not have to have been trying for a year before the GP will help? I may be wrong.

Good luck OP.

TheBitterBoy Mon 27-Jun-16 19:43:23

I think given your ages you are reasonable to start asking for advice. However I would prepare yourself for the GP to offer no help as you already have a child. I was in very similar circumstances to you and was lucky enough to be allowed testing, but I have friends in other areas who were told they weren't eligible for even diagnostic testing because they spread had a child.

Laiste Mon 27-Jun-16 19:43:40


suggests if you're a woman over 35 then go to GP after 6 months.

So - at 34 he might send you away for a few more months of trying. No harm in going for a chat though IMO.

TheBitterBoy Mon 27-Jun-16 19:44:16


Sassypants82 Mon 27-Jun-16 19:44:58

Thanks cute cat. Apparently for no 2, or older than 35 (for the woman) it's advised to seek advice afyrr six months.

I get that there's a very high chance that all we need is more time but my fear is that it's more than that. I just don't want to waste more time.

TestingTestingWonTooFree Mon 27-Jun-16 19:45:14

Don't reflexologist do hands and feet? That sounds like bullshit.

Id expect there are some NHS guidelines on what they do and when, perhaps see if you can look them up. I agree with a pp that I think you normally have to ttc for a year first, but maybe your medical history will make it different.

HappyHeart87 Mon 27-Jun-16 19:46:48

I'd be surprised if your GP would make a referral straight away. You're relatively young; you know that you've got all the right bits connected in all the right ways, and generally I think the advice is to try for a year at least.

I don't think the GP would give much weight to your reflexogist's sense of 'nodules', though I could be wrong.

There can't be any harm in making an appointment, though, then at least you can ask your questions and find out the lie of the land.

GloGirl Mon 27-Jun-16 19:47:14

I would speak to your GP. And ignore your reflexologist.

froubylou Mon 27-Jun-16 19:48:23

I would go. I went after 3 years Ttc. They tested my hormone levels at 2 points during my cycle and everything was as it should be.

We conceived a couple of months later. If you don't already make sure both of you are taking conception vitamins. We got pg the first month after we started them. Might have been coincidence but it certainly didn't do any harm. Good luck.

BillSykesDog Mon 27-Jun-16 19:51:30

There's no harm going. Some GPs can be a bit obstructive and demand that the 'trying' period only starts after you've told them you're trying. E.g. if you've been trying six months they might tell you to go back and try again for another 6 months.

Also, as you already have a child tests and diagnoses on the NHS may be limited in your area and you might need to go private.

Sassypants82 Mon 27-Jun-16 20:05:08

Thanks all,
I'm not actually in the UK. Fertility treatment in my country is virtually all private so if required, I'd have to be prepared to pay for it.

I appreciate all your input.

Cutecat78 Mon 27-Jun-16 20:08:33

I would swap the Reflexology for Acupuncture.

rollmeover Mon 27-Jun-16 20:23:31

When we were in a similar position to you I went to doctor after 12 months of trying. They were very understanding and alough I wouldn't have qualified for IVF as we already had a child he said that failure to conceive could be a sign of other issues. (Such as the ones you describe) He booked me in for ovulation tests and the promise of a referral after that.

I got pregnant the next month grin
Best of luck.

FellOutOfBed2wice Mon 27-Jun-16 20:26:59

I went to my GP after six months- I was only 28 but as you say, it seemed reasonable effort by then. GP said I had done the right thing as things don't move quickly on the NHS and referred me for blood test to see if I was ovulating. I was and I conceived that month!

Go, it can't do any harm.

Sassypants82 Mon 27-Jun-16 21:37:03

Thanks ladies, hopefully I'll be as lucky!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now