Talk

Advanced search

turned away from beauticians because I had my baby with me

(258 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

PattyO46 Mon 27-Jun-16 15:03:47

I have just been turned away from a beauty salon because 'we don't allow children '. Not only do I not have childcare but my baby is so exclusively breast fed. I feel so upset, humiliated and angry. Is this a commonly accepted practice?!

longdiling Mon 27-Jun-16 15:08:12

I would never have thought to take mine to be honest, not without checking. What we're you hoping to have done?

Dizzydodo Mon 27-Jun-16 15:10:26

What where you going for? A mobile beauty therapist might be a better option at the moment, tbh I wouldn't have thought babies and beauty salons mix.

PattyO46 Mon 27-Jun-16 15:10:38

I can't see that it makes much difference what I would like to have done. I don't have any choice but to take my baby with me.

CurlsLDN Mon 27-Jun-16 15:11:41

I think it's a poor decision of theirs to turn away a paying customer, but I think they are within their rights to choose to make their salon an adult only area. I could be wrong, but it doesn't seem unreasonable to me

FeckinCrutches Mon 27-Jun-16 15:11:58

Totally friends on what you were having done. If I was getting massages/facials I wouldn't be happy if a baby was crying. Nails/pedicures the smell is quite strong for a little one. I don't know any spa type places that allow under 16's

fairgroundsnack Mon 27-Jun-16 15:12:55

This is really common IME. It once happened to me, since then I always check and quite often the answer is no (which means I don't book the appointment...)

Wineandpopcorn Mon 27-Jun-16 15:13:04

It wouldn't be very relaxing for others though to have a baby there! And I say that as a mother of 3, it would never occur to me to take a baby to a beauticians!

CurlsLDN Mon 27-Jun-16 15:13:44

i don't have any choice but to take my baby with me

But you can choose not to go to a beauty salon, or this salon in particular.

Pinkheart5915 Mon 27-Jun-16 15:14:35

I wouldn't take my baby ds to a beauty salon anyway and if I was a customer in one the last thing I'd want would be a somebody else's baby crying.

FeckinCrutches Mon 27-Jun-16 15:14:52

Get a mobile therapist next time. Some places just aren't suitable for children. And in my experience treatment rooms are fairly small so if they are moving around a treatment table a car seat would be in the way. And of course it matters what you are having done matters, a 5 minute eyebrow wax is quite different to a full body massage.

Dizzydodo Mon 27-Jun-16 15:16:00

I only asked because there may be alternatives that are easier if you can't leave your baby (eg benefit brow bar if you need an eyebrow wax)

NewLife4Me Mon 27-Jun-16 15:18:58

The chemicals wouldn't be good for a baby and sorry, but who wants a crying baby whilst having treatments.
Bad enough your own child but somebody else's nooooooooo
YABVVVVU
I didn't have childcare either when our 3 were little, you just have to do your own treatments at home.

RaeSkywalker Mon 27-Jun-16 15:19:10

I wouldn't take a baby into a beauticians without calling ahead I check- someone might be trying to have a relaxing treatment and probably wouldn't appreciate having a crying child there.

I agree with others- mobile therapists are the way to go. Or, my beautician operates out of a room in her house and only has one client in at a time. She allows children to be there.

RaeSkywalker Mon 27-Jun-16 15:19:41

^ "to check", not "I check"

ChicRock Mon 27-Jun-16 15:21:13

A beauty salon is no place for a baby or any child. Chemical fumes, hot wax, sharp implements and usually not enough space to swing a cat. The salon I go to says they are obly insured to have clients in the salon and so they wouldn't be insured if, for example, they accidentally flicked a bit of hot wax or eyebrow tint onto your child and caused an injury.

wobblywonderwoman Mon 27-Jun-16 15:21:29

I am a mother of two and I wouldn't dream of it. Surely is is unreasonable. People pay a lot of money to relax. There are some child friendly salons so look around. Or mobile salon

branofthemist Mon 27-Jun-16 15:23:02

There are many reasons why children aren't allowed in some salons. From chemicals, to tubs of hot wax, to other clients wanting a quiet relaxing surroundings.

Personally I would always check or get a mobile therapist.

AnyFucker Mon 27-Jun-16 15:23:12

Oh Christ, is this heading for the Daily Mail complete with Sad Face photographs ?

FeckinCrutches Mon 27-Jun-16 15:24:25

I reckon so.

mrsmugoo Mon 27-Jun-16 15:25:21

Oh crap. I have a 4 week old and I'm desperate for a wax. I was just going to take the baby along with me and she'll more than likely sleep through the entire thing in her pram. Would never have even considered getting turned away. How else do people do these things?!

ChicRock Mon 27-Jun-16 15:26:34

I had a mobile beautician that came to my house while DS was pre-school age.

MammyHester9116 Mon 27-Jun-16 15:26:44

I took my son when I got my hair cut and eyebrow wax! They were fine about it and loved cooing over him. He slept through my hair and sat on me while I had my eyebrows done.

OldFarticus Mon 27-Jun-16 15:28:29

Yes, it is a commonly accepted practice OP. Thankfully, because most of us don't want to hear babies screaming during beauty treatments.

Hodooooooooor Mon 27-Jun-16 15:28:55

I feel so upset, humiliated and angry

Get a hold of yourself woman. You couldn't get your nails done or whatever, Rosa Parks you ain't.

The real shit going on at the moment and this is what bothers you?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now