Another referrendum casualty

(12 Posts)
ProfessorPreciseaBug Sun 26-Jun-16 21:43:51

We were expecting to see our nephiew and new gf for a bbq today.,.. Until spoke with SiL (nephiews mum) who said she had received a very nasty text from her son (the nephiew) blaming her (and other baby boomers) for the referrendum and saying her selfishness has destroyed his career..

We canceled the invite to the bbq.. I just didn't want him at our table if he is going to be so personaly vindictive towards his own mum..
ps she voted stay even though she had been saying she would vote leave.

AIBU?

spanieleyes Sun 26-Jun-16 21:45:28

For God's sake!

ilovesooty Sun 26-Jun-16 21:48:05

Whatever and however she voted is her business as is the relationship between the two of them.

Who you invite to your house is presumably in your own hands too.

sandrabedminster Sun 26-Jun-16 21:50:23

Most of had a pretty shit career if its over already.

hobnobsaremyfave Sun 26-Jun-16 21:52:32

Yeah course this really happened hmm

mrsclooneytoyou Sun 26-Jun-16 21:53:34

Errm ok

ProfessorPreciseaBug Sun 26-Jun-16 21:55:06

Year right..
He got packed off to one of the best universities in the country without any student debt when he finished.. after being sent to one of the best schools available.. Career so far glowing and with a big London firm.

it was the nastyness that upset me.

likeschocolatealot Sun 26-Jun-16 21:56:40

This sort of thing is horrible OP biscuit. I have had a strange debate with a family member today (he is only 16) who messaged to ask me which way I'd voted. I told him I was a remainer and said how sad I was and I thought young people should have had the right to vote in this one. He spent the next few hours telling me how he would have voted to leave and gave me all the Brexit/UKIP propaganda including some very inaccurate information. As his auntie and a teacher I duly but politely corrected him where I thought he was misinformed and pointed him in the direction of some useful links but made it clear I respected his opinion. He started calling remainers ridiculous and putting laughing icons then said my knowledge was outdated and I was narrow minded and naive! I am really hurt by his tone and I told him so, he hasn't responded since. This thing is really dividing families it seems. sad

DioneTheDiabolist Sun 26-Jun-16 22:05:21

Your SiL could have sorted this out very quickly by telling her son how she voted. Instead, she called you up and you uninvited him to your BBQ. Then started a thread about it.

Are all your family drama llamas OP?

Patapouf Sun 26-Jun-16 22:27:04

Nowt to do with you is it? Not how your SIL voted, not your nephews political beliefs and certainly whether he has student debts. It was between them and you've waded in by cancelling an invite. How petty.

FWIW he's not wrong.

PortiaCastis Sun 26-Jun-16 22:30:57

That was quick

Sunsetplumset Sun 26-Jun-16 23:15:33

lol

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now