Advanced search


(3 Posts)
Kazziepooes Sun 26-Jun-16 21:25:21

I know this isn't an AIBU, but I'm in a bit of a panic as I'm in Italy on holiday and I'm feeling unwell. I have health insurance but I've realised this may not be enough as my EHIC card has expired. Does anyone have any advice please?

LineyReborn Sun 26-Jun-16 21:27:37

EHIC gives you emergency treatment only in a EU country.

It doesn't in any way make up for good travel health insurance. If you have that, use it.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Sun 26-Jun-16 21:32:24

Apply online for a new one now.

Then if you need to ring these people yo orrow,

If you travel to Europe without your EHIC but then need medical treatment during your visit, you can be issued with a Provisional Replacement Certificate (PRC) to prove your entitlement to the EHIC.
You will need to apply for a PRC by calling the Overseas Healthcare Team on +44 (0)191 218 1999, Monday to Friday, 8am to 5pm. It's a good idea to save this number in your phone. Someone else can also do this on your behalf.
The PRC will give you the same cover as an EHIC until you return home. If you need to request a PRC outside of the opening hours, you should call the Overseas Healthcare Team to request the PRC as soon as possible for the next working day. You will need to provide your name, address and date of birth.
The PRC can be faxed or emailed to the establishment where you are receiving treatment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now