Talk

Advanced search

A&E

(25 Posts)
Chocoholicmonster Sun 26-Jun-16 21:12:09

My DP was playing football this morning & his ankle rolled over & made a crunching noise that other players even heard. He's since struggling to put weight on it & walk. It's swollen & tender to touch in both the ankle & the tendon at the back of the heel. It's gradually got worse through out the day / night & even resting it is causing him pain. Ive never seen him so restless & he's usually one to make little to no fuss. I'm aware this could just be a very bad sprain so I'm asking you lovely ladies for words of advice - WIBU to take him to a&e? I would go to an out of hours doctors but we don't have any near us.

almostthirty Sun 26-Jun-16 21:14:03

Yes definitely worth a trip to a&e.

VertiginousOust Sun 26-Jun-16 21:14:18

Yes, definitely. It's what a&e is for!

AdrenalineFudge Sun 26-Jun-16 21:15:09

This is exactly what a&e is for. Go.

steff13 Sun 26-Jun-16 21:15:26

I would take him.

FadedRed Sun 26-Jun-16 21:16:22

Go to A&E.

Chocoholicmonster Sun 26-Jun-16 21:16:26

Thanks all. Was worried about wasting their time if it was just a bad sprain. Off we go!

iamhopeless Sun 26-Jun-16 21:17:47

If it's "just" a very bad sprain as in category 3 it will need to be imobilised in a boot, as a minimum. A and E 101% but be prepared for a wait

MissCalamity Sun 26-Jun-16 21:21:31

Crunching noise?! I would have been straight to A & E.
I've been to A & E a few times with hockey ankle injuries when I've been unable to put any weight on my foot, never broke anything but worth getting checked out.

ghostspirit Sun 26-Jun-16 21:23:39

i would have thought it would be fine to go A&E as only way they can tell is by xray which is done at the hospital.

Therealloislane Sun 26-Jun-16 21:23:56

Hope you haven't too long a wait!

QOD Sun 26-Jun-16 21:26:09

Good luck ⚽️

Lunar1 Sun 26-Jun-16 21:28:13

Yes, they will probably send him to minor injuries for an X-ray. Hope it's not too long a wait.

FaithAscending Sun 26-Jun-16 21:28:33

It needs to be X-rayed so yeah, A&E.

jaxxyj Sun 26-Jun-16 21:32:19

Took DS to minor injuries a couple of weeks ago, was in xrayed and out within 2 hours. Mind you I think they close at 9 so it will be A&E. DS's was a bad sprain, but they said it was always worth getting checked out. Hope it goes ok!

Lunde Sun 26-Jun-16 21:36:57

Yes definitely A&E to get it x-rayed and checked for other damage to ligaments etc

MrPoppersPenguins Sun 26-Jun-16 21:57:37

I'm a health care professional and even I go to A&E after similar injuries to the ones you've described! You don't have XRay vision! Hope you don't have too long a wait x

DonttouchthatLarry Sun 26-Jun-16 22:11:56

Should have gone straight to A&E - DH did the same whilst running and 'only' had a bad sprain but they put him in plaster for a week. Hope it's not too bad.

Emochild Sun 26-Jun-16 23:50:46

Hope everything is ok op and you've not had too long a wait

almostthirty Mon 27-Jun-16 17:04:10

Hope your not still there grin

Hoping he isn't too badly injured.

ThisisMajorTomtoGroundControl Mon 27-Jun-16 18:40:54

I did a similar injury once and couldn't walk for three months. Sprains can be bad and don't get the respect they deserve.

Libitina Mon 27-Jun-16 18:44:36

I did similar once (not playing football I hasten to had) and ended up with several months of weekly physio.

Chocoholicmonster Wed 29-Jun-16 19:53:56

Sorry for just deserting the thread! We didn't spend too long in a&e. He had an xray (& milked being pushed in a wheelchair that the nurse insisted he was put in). Thankfully no break (although they did discover a very old break that's healed badly) & was badly sprained. Strapped up & told to rest 😊 Thank you all again for your advice / reassurance x

dailymaillazyjournos Wed 29-Jun-16 20:01:12

Glad he has had it checked over. Good that they have strapped it up too. Our MI don't strap sprains?!

WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Wed 29-Jun-16 20:04:45

Op, the same happened to me!
Except I was taken to A&E in the yellow van.
Had an xray.
No break, but my old break had healed fairly well.
But we can't find that on your notes...
I had ripped the ligaments/muscle in my calf.
Still hurts now sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now