Talk

Advanced search

To ask why JC won't resign for the good of the party

(334 Posts)
AndNowItsSeven Sun 26-Jun-16 18:07:45

Could anyone explain why JC won't resign given that Labour has a strong chance of winning a possible Autumn general election, if but only if Labour has a strong leader.

msrisotto Sun 26-Jun-16 18:10:15

Wasn't he elected leader?

AndNowItsSeven Sun 26-Jun-16 18:11:38

Yes but Labour will never win a general election under Corbyn's leadership. He must no this but doesn't seem to care.

RusholmeRuffian Sun 26-Jun-16 18:11:37

Perhaps he'd be a stronger leader if other Labour MPs stopped trying to undermine their democratically elected leader.

AndNowItsSeven Sun 26-Jun-16 18:12:36

I would love Corbyn to be PM but it's never going to happen.

Kimononono Sun 26-Jun-16 18:13:38

There is a specific topic for this stuff ->>

tiredandhungryalways Sun 26-Jun-16 18:14:30

The only people thinking of themselves are the mp's who can't accept JC has been elected leader. The party need to get behind him and acknowledge he can win votes as he already has done

TheWeeBabySeamus1 Sun 26-Jun-16 18:14:50

Why would Labour not win with Corbyn? I'd vote for him over any of the other choices.

ghostyslovesheep Sun 26-Jun-16 18:17:51

he's elected by party members - maybe it's for them to decide not a bunch of MP's with chippy shoulders

I'm disappointed in him - I voted for him - would I vote him out - depends on who the alternatives are - I think he is a very principled and kind man - I am not sure he has the ability to get his message across

AndNowItsSeven Sun 26-Jun-16 18:18:58

Because labour needs to be more centred in order to win old Tory votes.

DoctorTwo Sun 26-Jun-16 18:20:40

Why should he resign? According to Hodge it's because he didn't galvanise support for Remain. 75% of votes cast in his constituency voted Remain, 62% voted to Leave in Hodge's constituency. They're shit stirrers who can't stand having a populist in charge, and want another Blair.

Look at the polls: Labour are up since Thursday.

AndNowItsSeven Sun 26-Jun-16 18:21:30

Ghostly a lot of member joined only to vote Corbyn in knowing he wouldn't be able to win an election.
I really like Corbyn and think he would make an excellent pm sadly not enough of the electorate would agree.

OohMavis Sun 26-Jun-16 18:21:40

I'd vote for him, and so would a lot of people I know.

Why, exactly, is he unelectable? Surely that's for party members to decide? The party members who elected him in the first place?

SonicSpotlight Sun 26-Jun-16 18:21:57

There are two Labours. One has strong left wing principles, the backing of the unions, loves Corbyn and has lots of grass roots support that is very active online. The other has the PLP (the MPs), the ability to attract the swing voters it needs to be elected and wants to be in government.

I think Corbyn would be perfectly happy to stay leading the opposition for the next decade.

AndNowItsSeven Sun 26-Jun-16 18:23:36

So you think a Labour win under Corbyn is a possibility Doctor?

AdultingIsNotWhatIExpected Sun 26-Jun-16 18:25:14

I completely lost all faith in labour years ago, JC is making me consider given them a second chance. If he resigns and it goes back to being the "tory's good cop" party again I'm done.

I think there are a lot of people who feel like me, people who had given up on labour but JC is winning us back, labour could lose us all again without JC

ghostyslovesheep Sun 26-Jun-16 18:27:34

I think he could win if he allowed a team to work with him and raise his profile and 'spin' his message - he wont - for good principled reasons, but it means he seems silent on most things

I joined the party in 1985 - I didn't join to vote him in - I'm not sure how I would vote if we where asked to chose again

I would love a good strong left wing party but it needs to be one the first and foremost gets it's message across

yorkshapudding Sun 26-Jun-16 18:27:51

Because he was chosen by labour party members and the majority of labour party members still support him. Perhaps he cares more about the feelings and opinions of his party members than he does about the MP's (mostly Blairites motivated by their own ambitions and self interest) who want him gone. I deeply admire him for that even though he wouldn't necessarily be my first choice as leader.

SilverDragonfly1 Sun 26-Jun-16 18:28:19

Because he has principles. I know it's a bit hard to grasp after the last 20 years or so of political leaders!

SonicSpotlight Sun 26-Jun-16 18:33:28

So you're happy with an ineffective but strongly principled leader who will never have any say in government policy?

LittleLionHeart Sun 26-Jun-16 18:33:57

Why don't you run after supper, Judas?

frikadela01 Sun 26-Jun-16 18:37:30

MPs are supposed to represent their constituents, the very fact that the shadow cabinet are quiting and calling for his resignation and creating uncertainty and under in a time when stability and a bit of reassurance wouldn't go amiss just shows how self interested they are. It's all about their own political careers and not about us... the people that have them power in the first place. To that end I'm glad JC isn't Bowing to the pressure. Given that the Tory party is in disarray too I think any GE would likely result in a gun parliament, the whole things is fucked at the moment.

tabulahrasa Sun 26-Jun-16 18:39:58

Maybe he realises that with the country on the verge of at least one huge constitutional change and with a government that's gone into hiding that a leadership contest could wait a few days at least? hmm

Stripyhoglets Sun 26-Jun-16 18:41:05

I didn't vote for him. I want to see a Labour government NOT a highly principled opposition with a no doubt highly principled leader. Labour needs to be in power to make life better for people in the areas that voted leave.

BuggerLumpsAnnoyed Sun 26-Jun-16 18:42:57

He's not ineffective and people who say that show a shocking sense of ignorance about what has been going on over the last 9 months. He has been invaluable in the case for many government u-turns over unfair policy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now