Talk

Advanced search

to demand my husband starts going around topless cos im so tired of ironing his shirts?

(67 Posts)
Arfarfanarf Sun 26-Jun-16 14:38:15

We have a deal grin i do the ironing, he does the washing and the hoovering.
I don't want him to stop. I don't want to swap. I just hate doing his shirts and want everything my own way grin
I sometimes chuck the last one back in the washing basket cos ive absolutely had enough. 5 hours ironing every sunday.
He also does the dinner while im ironing so it is quite clear i am utterly taking the piss but arrggghhh shirts. Bane of my life. grin

VimFuego101 Sun 26-Jun-16 14:40:36

Chop off your arms, you can't iron anything then.

loosechange Sun 26-Jun-16 14:41:08

5 hours of ironing every week? How many shirts does he wear each day? confused

KayTee87 Sun 26-Jun-16 14:43:19

How on earth do you have to spend 5 hours ironing every week??

GailLondon Sun 26-Jun-16 14:43:58

Why on earth are you spending 5 hours on the ironing???

But seriously, just swap jobs, or alternate every week. Doing the washing is easy

ArmfulOfRoses Sun 26-Jun-16 14:44:24

5 hours a week?!
I iron clothes for 2 adults, 2 ft children and a weekend teenager in about an hour.
I do all clothes so work uniforms, school uniforms, casual clothes and pyjamas (I know), are you doing socks/undies/bedding/towels or something?

Ilovetorrentialrain Sun 26-Jun-16 14:44:58

I understand but why five hours?!

Savagebeauty Sun 26-Jun-16 14:45:12

Are you very slow at ironing?

WorraLiberty Sun 26-Jun-16 14:46:07

Blimey. On a Sunday I normally iron 8 shirts, 2 pairs of trousers and a couple of polo tops.

It takes about 45 minutes confused

ElspethFlashman Sun 26-Jun-16 14:46:24

5 HOURS???!

Even my batshit friend who irons her husbands Y fronts doesn't spend 5 hrs!

WorraLiberty Sun 26-Jun-16 14:48:11

I agree you should swap just every now than then.

Plus doing the washing isn't really a 'job', unless he's taking it down to the river and beating it against rocks grin

MatildaTheCat Sun 26-Jun-16 14:49:12

Practical solutions needed:

Take them to the local cleaners. That's what I do.
Ensure they are an easy iron fabric.
Use an ironing spray
Iron whilst slightly damp
Train him to take off over his head and iron flat like a t shirt ( even easier if short sleeved)
Lower your standards, I'm a decent enough ironed and can do a man's business shirt in 5 minutes.
Try to get a second day out of a shirt if it isn't noticeably dirty or smelly.
Learn to love ironing by association: listen to podcasts, whatever.

Any help? smile

Ilovetorrentialrain Sun 26-Jun-16 14:50:44

Whilst we wait for the answer on the 5 hour scenario smile... One tip for ironing is to stick the radio or a film/TV show / podcast on. In your case OP you could get a good way through the Godfather trilogy though so come on tell us just how many shirts there are each week?

Whendoesitstop Sun 26-Jun-16 14:51:47

I iron for me, my partner, my 3 children, my partners 2 children and 2 girlfriends and it takes an hour and a half max. How the hell do you take 5 hours?! grin

Arfarfanarf Sun 26-Jun-16 14:52:08

Hehe worra it's like you're in my house. That's what i say.

I am ridiculously slow. A weeks worth of clothes for four people. But i do it while watching the judge judy marathon so yeah im slow.

I iron all clothes including pjs but not undies. My eldest bought some stupid designer pants and tried to get me to iron them and was told to naff off grin

Shirts are a bastard. Each one takes forever. Would telling you i starch them be considered a stealth boast or admission of insanity? grin

Arfarfanarf Sun 26-Jun-16 14:53:54

Also it's iron two things, read a mn thread, iron two things, read a mn thread so i think we can all agree it's my own fault grin

This thread could also be considered procrastinating.

I have 5 shirts left.

CancelTheCheque Sun 26-Jun-16 14:57:51

When did you last replace your iron? We picked up a cheap travel iron recently and it's considerably better than our full size.

Arfarfanarf Sun 26-Jun-16 14:57:55

Ilove - in a week he gets through at least ten shirts. hmm sometimes more.

Arfarfanarf Sun 26-Jun-16 14:59:17

My iron is about ten years old. Hmm. Now you mention it, i bet i need a new one.

dementedpixie Sun 26-Jun-16 14:59:29

I only iron shirts and schoolwear and that's bad enough. I do 5 of dh's shirts, 10 short sleeve school shirts for dc's and their school skirts/trousers (5 of each) and it probably take about one and a half hours. I hate ironing so refuse to do any more than that

dementedpixie Sun 26-Jun-16 15:00:35

I have a steam generator iron as makes ironing shirts faster

SisyphusDad Sun 26-Jun-16 15:06:58

What's ironing? The creases from washing fall out soon enough from body heat and anyway are just replaced with creases from wearing it.

I remember as a kid (early teens?) trying to 'help' my Mum by putting away unironed bedding so she didn't need to iron it. She wasn't impressed.

WorraLiberty Sun 26-Jun-16 15:11:00

Creases really don't fall out after washing...well not long sleeved shirts anyway.

My Mum rarely ironed and even at the age of about 6 or 7, I felt very self conscious at school that I was the only one in shirts that looked like lettuce leaves.

But why the fuck are your ironing PJs OP? confused

Arfarfanarf Sun 26-Jun-16 15:11:20

Drop out? Nah man these buggers are welded in. He'd look like a tramp.

BoGrainger Sun 26-Jun-16 15:13:22

You need to learn to fold laundry neatlygrin
There's absolutely NO NEED to iron anything apart from clothes - fact
There's nothing that children wear that needs ironing - fact
No need to iron nightwear, socks, pants - fact
No need to iron t- shirts or trousers - see folding hint above
In fact the only things that need an iron are shirts and blouses. And they can be ironed in 2 minutes the night before they're needed. Now, go and enjoy your Sunday afternoon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now