Talk

Advanced search

To wonder where the Queen is at this time of crisis

(75 Posts)
Imperialleather2 Sun 26-Jun-16 12:46:58

The political system in the UK seems to be in utter chaos.

Surely this is a time for the Queen to step up and 'steady the ship'.

We're.alawaya told that she is a constant through times of crisis and I really think as a nation we could do with some calming words from our head of.state.

Doesn't have to be political but something surely??

Sirzy Sun 26-Jun-16 12:48:03

It would be very difficult for her, or any Royal, to make comment publicly whilst still remaining neutral.

I am sure there is plenty going on behind the scenes!

electricflyzapper Sun 26-Jun-16 12:49:29

Realistically, what could she say that would make a difference?

Anyway, the monarch is supposed to be above politics. That was why Charles I lost his life.

Savagebeauty Sun 26-Jun-16 12:49:37

Probably drinking gin and applying for a German passport

KondosSecretJunkRoom Sun 26-Jun-16 12:50:37

Gagging Philip so he can't make any witty jokes and mnetting?

louisagradgrind Sun 26-Jun-16 12:54:16

Well, firstly for many of us it's not a crisis.

Secondly, in direct response to your question: probably celebrating!

howtorebuild Sun 26-Jun-16 12:55:44

The two main parties are without credible leadership, so she can't call for a GE. There is nothing else she can do.

JellyBellyKelly Sun 26-Jun-16 12:56:27

The political system in the UK seems to be in utter chaos.

There's the key word... political system.

The Queen has nothing to do with politics. You may as well ask Elton John to make a statement in order to steady the ship.

Madbengalmum Sun 26-Jun-16 12:57:43

Yes, she will be happy, she has hintedmany times she favours the out campaign.

EdithWeston Sun 26-Jun-16 12:57:45

Where is the Queen?

In Scotland - she goes to Balmoral after Royal Ascot every year.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Sun 26-Jun-16 12:58:18

It would be incredibly inappropriate for her to say anything. She is politically neutral; she has been for 90 years.

There's nothing she could say without being seen to take a "side", so she will remain silent.

I think most people in "power" will. The heat needs to die down. Us v them won't get anyone anywhere.

MajesticWhine Sun 26-Jun-16 12:58:29

The queen should keep quiet on the matter. Anything she said could be interpreted as giving a political opinion which is not her place.

Livingtothefull Sun 26-Jun-16 12:59:06

The Queen has something more important going on in her life this weekend: attending a Society wedding:

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3659684/Queen-arrives-society-wedding-year-Mountbatten-heiress-Alexandra-Knatchbull-entrepreneur-fianc-Prince-Wales-prepares-bride-away.html?ITO=1490

loobieloo32 Sun 26-Jun-16 12:59:09

Actually jelly maybe elton could release Sacrifice (reprise) as a charity single to prop up the pound.

GiddyOnZackHunt Sun 26-Jun-16 12:59:37

Let's have jolly street party, wear Union Jack bowler hats and get pissed on cheap lager while the Royals stand on a balcony.
That'll cheer us all up won't it Guv?

InShockReally Sun 26-Jun-16 13:01:49

Probably. Why wouldn't she want out? She's rich enough to weather any storm, not long for the world personally anyway, and it gives her family potentially more authority and a bigger role in politics. The people wanting the "good old days" back count the royal family as part of it all.

Meanwhile she's not just some sweet old lady - she's the embodiment of an unfair class system which helps put rich boys ahead in UK politics, and was somewhat moderated under the EU.

louisagradgrind Sun 26-Jun-16 13:03:52

The pound is recovering. Listen to Radio 4 Paul Lewis on Friday's Money Box Live. The FTSE 100 is higher than it was earlier in the year.

loobieloo32 Sun 26-Jun-16 13:11:09

I'm not sure the pound is recovering as such it has stabilised vs USD lower than pre result after a significant plunge. Although my understanding is very basic and would be happily corrected in this.

JudyCoolibar Sun 26-Jun-16 13:16:06

I doubt she's celebrating. She won't want to go down in history as the monarch during whose reign the nation went down the pan, even if it wasn't her fault.

Globetrotter100 Sun 26-Jun-16 13:20:00

Better be quick if you want to wear Union Jack bowler hats for much longer...

Livingtothefull Sun 26-Jun-16 13:20:54

I don't see how an appeal for calm and civility from the Queen during this crisis could be construed as giving a political opinion.

OhtoblazeswithElvira Sun 26-Jun-16 13:21:37

Well, firstly for many of us it's not a crisis

louisa:
the PM has resigned
The opposition is in disarray
Scotland is trying to leave the UK. Gibraltar will follow and NI might do, too
Jobs are being lost and a recession is looking likely
We are in for a few years of uncertainty
There's been an increase in racist and xenophobic attacks
The country is divided

If this is not a crisis for you please tell me what is. Honest question.

And to answer your question OP: I am wondering where the Queen is, too. She could easily say a few platitudes about unity and British values of tolerance or some such bollocks. I really think it would have a calming effect.

justbogoff Sun 26-Jun-16 13:22:28

The pound is not fucking recovering! angry

Livingtothefull Sun 26-Jun-16 13:24:20

You would have thought they would have learned after Princess Di's death. Will we all have to beg her to talk to us again?

molyholy Sun 26-Jun-16 13:25:53

She is politically neutral; she has been for 90 years.

Yes, in fact her first words weren't 'mamma' they were 'I'm politically neutral'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now