Talk

Advanced search

About DH's significant birthday gift

(9 Posts)
vulgarbunting Sat 25-Jun-16 21:45:35

I turned 30 last year, and beforehand did the whole 'I don't want a fuss' routine whenever it was mentioned. My mistake. I didn't get a fuss. I was hurriedly bought gift at the last minute, and as we were on an all inclusive holiday for the day itself basically nothing else was done. No cake, or dinner out, or celebrations. I guess I'm a bit upset about it still, even though it was of my doing. I didn't mention it at the time, but did get drunk recently (of course) and had a bit of a cry to him about it.

It's my DH's 30th in a few months. A big celebratory weekend has been planned, which has already cost me several hundred pounds. There will be a cake for everyone (bought by me), champagne for everyone (bought by me), and a huge party. DH has vaguely mentioned a gift as well, and when I have asked him what he wants he has mentioned things costing a few hundred pounds (albeit a little sheepishly and saying he feels uncomfortable with me spending that much on him).

WIBU to not get a 30th birthday gift? This is all combined with him recently just being a little bit of a dick about a few things, which may be swaying my judgement.

HeartsTrumpDiamonds Sat 25-Jun-16 21:47:29

Why on earth did you say you didn't want a fuss when clearly you did?????

HeartsTrumpDiamonds Sat 25-Jun-16 21:48:47

He should be funding his own party / cake / fizz and you should be buying him a lovely meaningful present, not something he has placed an order for with you.

cuntinghomicidalcardigan Sat 25-Jun-16 21:49:58

Surely the party, champagne and cake are his present? He's not 5, he should be able to understand that!

vulgarbunting Sat 25-Jun-16 21:50:58

Because I meant 'I don't want a party but would still like the birthday basics - a nice dinner together, to be treated like it is special, a birthday cake, some champagne', but that's not what translated.

NarkyKnockers Sat 25-Jun-16 21:51:32

YABU to not get him a present as some tit for tat response to him not being a mind reader - sounds like you've already been dramatic enough about it tbh. It was hardly an awful B'day if you were on an all inclusive holiday!

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Sat 25-Jun-16 21:52:37

a few hundred pounds?

I presume you laughed in his face?

GloriousGoosebumps Sat 25-Jun-16 21:53:14

Does he really expect you to spend what seems to be close to £1k on his 30th birthday?

MrsDoylesTeaParty Sat 25-Jun-16 21:53:37

YABU to be upset about not having a fuss when you said you didn't want one.. That's ridiculous! He did what you wanted and you're still bitching about it.

However, it sounds like you have separate finances so only spend what you feel comfortable with as it sounds like you've spent a lot already. Tell him you want a fuss for your 31st!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now