To feel sorry for young people in all this

(16 Posts)
2moreminutes Sat 25-Jun-16 21:00:57

Younger people have been born European. It's all they have known.
They have grown up in a European nanny state, and have never lived in a society where people are encouraged to take responsibility for themselves.
For this reason alone, leaving the EU for the young must be like losing a comfort blanket. It's must be very scary.
Th EU has been like a parent to our children (be it of the Stockholm syndrome variety of parenting)

It's quite disturbing to think that we have had the equivalent of a revolution.
And yet
Who's been pushing for 'change'?
Not so long ago, the young people of any country were ALWAYS at the forefront of change - full of passion. They would have been the main instigators of change.
Yet in recent times it has been mainly the older generation who have pushed for change and the younger people have gone for the safe option
I can't get .my head around that.
There's something seriously wrong with society when the 'older' members of society are the ones pushing for change and testing boundaries and the younger ones are going for the safe 'lets stick with the way we've always,done things' way of doing things. [Confused]

I'm not trying to have a pop at anybody... but
What the bells happened to the young people of this country?
Where's their drive and passion?
When did the young become old before their time?

MumOnTheRunCatchingUp Sat 25-Jun-16 21:08:16

Where's their drive and passion?? Snapchat. That's where it is

2moreminutes Sat 25-Jun-16 21:20:28

Is it only this country, or have the young become old before their time and set in their ways in other countries as well? hmm

Artistic Sat 25-Jun-16 21:32:28

It happens when you have everything is sorted & easy when you are born and you never see any real struggle other than everyday domestic ones. Not criticising, just saying as a fact.

Candypops14 Sat 25-Jun-16 22:17:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

2moreminutes Sat 25-Jun-16 23:14:08

It's very telling that the young people don't even have enough passionn in them to argue the toss with this thread.

Sad.

DustyBustle Sat 25-Jun-16 23:16:17

Oh for the love of Thor!

I wonder when we can get back to talking about MiLs, sling vs buggy and baby led weaning hmm

2moreminutes Sat 25-Jun-16 23:18:20

Maybe you're on the thread . Yes?

2moreminutes Sat 25-Jun-16 23:21:17

I was expecting more response.
As I said, I'm not looking for arguments.
Just trying to understand.

scousesal Sat 25-Jun-16 23:22:10

My 16 year old nephew told me today he would have voted leave .His choice but his reasons were based on the lies by the leaving campaign .He's a smart lad so was saddened he had been fooled.

DustyBustle Sat 25-Jun-16 23:23:42

There are eleventy million threads discussing it though, no wonder there aren't many responses on some of them.

Tiggywinkler Sat 25-Jun-16 23:37:08

biscuit

tinytoucan Sat 25-Jun-16 23:43:14

I don't think you can argue that young people aren't passionate. Many have been brought up in a society which promotes diversity and values difference, and have friends from a variety of backgrounds so the arguments against immigration don't ring true to them. I know immigration wasn't the only reason many people voted out, but that seems to be the one that is most frequently cited. Just because most young people want to remain in the EU does not make them not passionate for change in other areas- I live in a city that frequently hosts rallies and protests in the centre; about NHS cuts, and against war among other things, and 90% of the people who make up those groups are probably what you would class as "young". I think a lot of young people also believe that the best way to implement change is to have a place at the table- I'm not sure how we can do that if we leave.

peachpudding Sat 25-Jun-16 23:46:14

This will give young people a future they couldn't have in the EU. We are giving them the rest of their lives.

Chattymummyhere Sat 25-Jun-16 23:49:21

How young is young? I'm 24 voted out as did most people I know younger and slightly older than me.

We certainly are pushing for change in the circles I'm in.

Pollyenta Sun 26-Jun-16 00:07:45

I am a young person (24). I think my generation is disenfranchised because they feel we aren't listened to.

People turned out in their thousands to protest against tuition fee increases. The government didn't give a shit.

We are a massive group that statistically don't vote, it doesn't feel like any political party is offering anything. All their manifestos read more or less the same. It feels like politicians don't care unless you are rich, and most young people aren't.

I grew up in a world where i had the right to live and work in 27 other countries. I feel like that has been stolen from me.

Many of the older generation who have explained the problems with the EU and democracy to me have done it in the same breath as saying they don't like living with people (foreigners) who are "different" to them. I have grown up in a massively multicultural society, I really value that. I am not scared of people of different races and religions.

Fwiw I've voted in every election since I've been 18, as have most of my friends. It's not hard to understand why people don't though.

And I suspect the reason people aren't piling onto this thread to defend themselves, is firstly because this is a parenting site so won't have huge amounts of young voters on, and secondly because your response will probably be to tell us how entitled we are and that we don't know what hard work is.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now