Talk

Advanced search

To be worried about going to EU on holiday because of Brexit?

(60 Posts)
Lottielo Sat 25-Jun-16 20:54:05

Totally paranoid perhaps, but I'm worried that we are now the most hated nation in Europe and could have problems overseas. I realise that countries wouldn't want to damage their tourism, but equally I'm concerned that there will be many seriously disgruntled Europeans who may want to seek some form of retaliation. The way some of the Poles here have been treated in the last couple of days has been truly shocking and, I have to say (naive of me I know), totally unexpected. It makes me want to leave the country tbh but I know I won't be welcome anywhere else!

TheRealAdaLovelace Sat 25-Jun-16 20:55:40

I really wouldn't worry about it - just continue as normal.

Shenanagins Sat 25-Jun-16 20:57:19

In Europe at the moment and there has been no difference between how we were treated on Thursday to today.

Basicbrown Sat 25-Jun-16 20:58:14

Hahahaha yabu and ridiculous

IlovesLiz Sat 25-Jun-16 20:58:19

Actually, you're right to be worried OP. The French burned Joan of Arc at the stake for less so just think what they will do to you.

ny20005 Sat 25-Jun-16 20:58:53

I'm sure they will be happy to take your euros regardless lol

PumpkinPies38 Sat 25-Jun-16 20:59:06

YABU. Yawn.

IlovesLiz Sat 25-Jun-16 20:59:19

Germans harpooned Belgian babies.

IlovesLiz Sat 25-Jun-16 21:00:22

The Black Hole of Calcutta was.filled with mostly white people.

Lottielo Sat 25-Jun-16 21:00:39

When the shit hits the fan, we might not be so welcome!

IlovesLiz Sat 25-Jun-16 21:00:58

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Whookkoklooooooooooooo

Costacoffeeplease Sat 25-Jun-16 21:02:32

I live in Portugal - situation normal here, apart from the Portuguese media publicising the twats who 'didn't think their vote would count' confused so, a few might point and laugh (joke)

ThenLaterWhenItGotDark Sat 25-Jun-16 21:02:46

I live in "Europe" and no-one hates the British.

It's more kind of pity. But they'll still welcome your tourist £. Even though it's not actually worth a £ anymore.

Oh, and they're laughing quite a lot. (the news programmes keep showing Thicko and Mrs Thicko saying "if we'd known it wasn't about the 'Ungerians going home, we wouldn't of done it (sic) would we Chantelle?")

Fruitbat15 Sat 25-Jun-16 21:02:54

Don't worry Lottielo, I live abroad and no one has said anything horrible to me, they've all been a bit curious and asked me how I felt yesterday when I heard the news but that's it. Carry on as usual and enjoy your holidays.

monkeywithacowface Sat 25-Jun-16 21:03:30

I can't imagine that hotel staff or waiters or shop keepers on the continent will give a shiny shit while you are spending your money there. I think some of the British have an over inflated sense of their own importance

ThenLaterWhenItGotDark Sat 25-Jun-16 21:03:45

Lol- Costa- you obviously got the same people interviewed that we did.

Lottielo Sat 25-Jun-16 21:04:35

Ah thanks all! I think I'm so sleep deprived with worry about the whole thing that I'm not thinking rationally! I really love my holidays in Europe but I worry that if the Europeans find their lives affected by decisions made here, we won't be the most welcome nationality!

ny20005 Sat 25-Jun-16 21:08:00

Littielo, British / English were not the most welcome nationality before 😂

Crunchymum Sat 25-Jun-16 21:10:12

I think you mean the way the Polish here have been treated? not Poles

bigbluebus Sat 25-Jun-16 21:12:30

We were on holiday in Portugal when the results were announced. There was blanket coverage all morning on the tv there. It was even on in the waiting area at the airport on Friday afternoon. There were a mixture of Portuguese and British on the flight - amongst other nationalities. It was business as usual. I think you are over thinking it.

Lottielo Sat 25-Jun-16 21:14:15

Sorry Crunchy of course I meant Polish. Seriously sleep deprived at the moment.

OhNoNotMyBaby Sat 25-Jun-16 21:14:48

You will of course be hung, drawn and quartered.

what a very, very silly and stupid post. Not at all racist oh no. To suggest that Europeans are so racist that they will retaliate against British people and cause them grief and potential harm.

And you think Brexiters are racist?! Jeez... I'm so disgusted with these reactions of 'remainers'.

Nanny0gg Sat 25-Jun-16 21:15:52

Totally paranoid perhaps

You think?

ny20005 Sat 25-Jun-16 21:16:26

Where did op say what she voted ?

IndridCold Sat 25-Jun-16 21:18:09

Unless you are going to stay with Jean Claude Juncker I wouldn't worry.

Remember that there is a lot of discontent with the EU across the people of Europe. Several other countries want their own referendum. We're off to France in a few weeks, I think it might be quite interesting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now