Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

about this mum in the park

(17 Posts)
iammamam Sat 25-Jun-16 17:50:00

"If you don't start behaving I'm going to smash your iPad up when we get home"

I know it's probably an empty threat but just seemed a bit of an odd one confused

SweetieDrops Sat 25-Jun-16 17:53:20

It seems a bit OTT to me, I'd have thought the threat of confiscation would be enough but I'm sure we've all lost it a bit when our DCs are being little shits trying our patience so I wouldn't judge someone for it.

Birdsgottafly Sat 25-Jun-16 18:14:26

It's poor parenting.

I've met many people (via my work and personally), who don't know a better way, usually because they are surrounded by ineffective Parenting.

They don't feel the need to do things differently.

Inyournightdress Sat 25-Jun-16 18:16:09

Sounds like it's teetering on the edge of emotional abuse if you ask me. Threatening a child with a violent action.

Pseudonym99 Sat 25-Jun-16 18:18:04

iPad abuse. Call NSPCiPad.

BearsDontDigOnDancing Sat 25-Jun-16 19:10:12

I once, while going through the checkout in the supermarket, and DS would not stop blabbing on about mine craft, threatened to shave his head bald when I got home.

It is my joke threat, he ofc, knows this, as I had said it many times before and we laugh about it, but he looked suitably terrified and put his hands to his hair and gasped (something he does every time, the kid is a hammy actor). Before we could both start laughing at each other, I noticed the horrified look on the cashiers face. I really need to be more careful about jokingly threatening my children.

WreckingBallsInsideMyHead Sat 25-Jun-16 19:26:39

Lazy and isn't gonna work cause she's not gonna follow through

But I'm sure every parent has said equally stupid/pointless things in their time

RubbleBubble00 Sat 25-Jun-16 20:00:20

Yes because we all hang said stupid threats to our kids in a moment of anger hmm

RubbleBubble00 Sat 25-Jun-16 20:00:42

Hang=havnt

PurpleDaisies Sat 25-Jun-16 20:03:05

Unless they're actually going to smash the iPad it's a really daft thing to threaten. Kids learn very quickly that empty threats don't get carried out and they're basically useless as a way of trying to get them to behave.

coco1810 Sat 25-Jun-16 20:59:50

Jaysus! I threaten to smash the xbox at least three times a week..... And that's just to my DP! Empty threat, probably a very poor choice of words. Perhaps a little less judgment might be the order of the day.

leghoul Sat 25-Jun-16 21:05:40

was it me? I think I said I'd ban the ipad later...

leghoul Sat 25-Jun-16 21:06:24

is that abuse??
we live in curtain twitchy Orwellian times..

70isaLimitNotaTarget Sat 25-Jun-16 21:36:27

I stopped on the M6 and threw my DC toys into a service station bin.
None of you will care why I did it , but I had good reason and yes they were warned repeatedly..

They both remember it and more importantly why I did it.
They haven't murdered me in my sleep and I'm not abusive .

Princesspinkgirl Sat 25-Jun-16 23:17:20

Pseudonym99 absolutely brilliant lol can't stop laughing

Samcro Sat 25-Jun-16 23:18:39

gosh thats bad
she should have said she would tell daddy

MrsDeVere Sun 26-Jun-16 09:16:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now