Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mum can post what she wants on SM, right?!

(16 Posts)
Mosschopz Sat 25-Jun-16 17:06:03

DH voted out, I voted remain...bone of contention in our house at the mo.

DM and DSF are pretty giddy on Facebook and often a bit opinionated...the referendum has really got them going. I wouldn't do it (they just spout quite left wing political stuff, nothing really shocking, in amongst pics of their garden grin) but DH has said their 'whining' about petitions, racist brexiters and denouncing nationality is 'embarrassing' and juvenile. He has suggested that it's unprofessional of her given her role in the community - she's a magistrate.

My heckles are well and truly raised...who gives him the right to judge? Yes, it's opinionated but my mum is suffering with an advanced cancer and if a bit of a political rant is the distraction she's looking for, chuck her a bone! He has said I should take her to task on it and I resolutely refuse. Who's in the right here?

daftbesom Sat 25-Jun-16 17:09:53

She's a grown-up and it's up to her what she posts, would be my view.

sepa Sat 25-Jun-16 17:11:08

Her SM her right to post. Tell him to hide her posts if it annoys him so much

longdiling Sat 25-Jun-16 17:11:15

If he has an issue with it then he should raise it with her! Why should you take her to task about something that isn't bothering you?

rookiemere Sat 25-Jun-16 17:11:37

She's free to post what she wants. If he doesn't like it he can defriend her.

I've just been to visit my elderly parents. They voted to leave but DF seems a bit surprised that Nicola Sturgeon is calling for another Scottish referendum and is swearing at the EU representatives on the tv for not letting us dictate our exit time

Part of me actually hates him right now. He's sold me and his GS down the river, seemed genuinely surprised when I said to DM that I was worried about our jobs.

However he's also my DF and I don't want to fall out with him over this. So we agreed not to discuss it and I would have escaped the above except he couldn't resist turning on the TV.

You are right and your DH is wrong.

WorraLiberty Sat 25-Jun-16 17:12:40

I'm fed up of this subject

But your 'heckles' being well and truly raised, did give me a good laugh grin

rookiemere Sat 25-Jun-16 17:14:02

Yes I do wonder what heckle raising actually means - off to google something other than the implications of yesterday.

rookiemere Sat 25-Jun-16 17:14:48

Oh its hackles blush I didn't know that.

Mosschopz Sat 25-Jun-16 18:07:34

Heckles, hackles, it's all raised here!

AnnieOnnieMouse Sat 25-Jun-16 18:34:28

It's a good job your dh can't see my FB page then!
I must admit, I am trying (obviously unsuccessfully) to wean myself off referendum posts.

rookiemere Sat 25-Jun-16 18:36:46

I'm glad you responded though.
it will be interesting to see what she comes back with.

rookiemere Sat 25-Jun-16 18:37:16

Oh whoops sorry wrong EU thread blush

Slutbucket Sat 25-Jun-16 18:38:45

I'm sure we say heckles here. I'm in yorkshire the place where we have buffets, t cakes and snickets.

JustanotherJp Sat 25-Jun-16 18:42:40

As a magistrate, we are told to be very careful of what we post on social media so I do agree with your DH.

Much as personally I am very annoyed with the result of the referendum I would not put anything about it on Facebook. That said I hate political rants anyway but being a JP would make me extra careful.

Smurfit Sat 25-Jun-16 22:26:52

I agree with your DH. SM is never as private as people think and come back to haunt you in strange ways. That's not to say she can't post her opinions but it would pay to be a little cautious.

BMW6 Sat 25-Jun-16 23:26:53

LTB

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now