Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Now we need to be really focussed.

(15 Posts)
HappydaysArehere Sat 25-Jun-16 09:26:06

Okay, the damage has been done. Now we need to quickly elect the most able negotiator. For goodness sake don't let it be Johnson. Theresa May would have my vote right now. She has played the long game by supporting remain but not coming out too strongly on its side. She has been known as a Euro Sceptic before. She has experience of negotiating with the EU and knows its pitfalls. Please, Gove chills my blood.

Cherrypi Sat 25-Jun-16 09:29:46

May, Clinton, Merkle... We're going to get Johnson and Trump though aren't we. Maybe when those that voted on immigration realise we're heading for the Norway option they will protest vote again and split the Tory vote. Labour win next general election.

ImperialBlether Sat 25-Jun-16 09:32:24

A couple of weeks ago my friend and I were talking about our worst case scenario. Britain leaving Europe, with Boris Johnson as PM. Trump in the White House. Scotland leaving the UK. We didn't even think of NI leaving. It was like a nightmare situation - a world we wouldn't want to live in. And it's all coming true.

BillSykesDog Sat 25-Jun-16 09:33:40

Apparently Andrea Leadsome is emerging as a favourite. I would strongly support that, she was brilliant in the campaign and cool headed and collected, didn't put a foot wrong. She far outshone bumbling Boris and weasley Gove - I think she was decisive in the win and would really like to see her given a chance.

HappydaysArehere Sat 25-Jun-16 09:52:47

Andrea Leadsome. Yes, now the damage has been done she could be a contender but what experience has she had? She presents coolly and with authority but is that enough. My vote is, at the moment, still for Theresa May.

HappydaysArehere Sat 25-Jun-16 09:55:31

Imperial. I am so with you that is why that bumbling, self seeking Boris should be ousted. He has no real conviction, only unwarranted ambition.

Mummyme1987 Sat 25-Jun-16 09:58:35

Finally a sensible non aggressive eu thread. Yes I agree not Boris or Gove. God forbid Farage .

Mummyme1987 Sat 25-Jun-16 10:00:37

I know he's not a mp btw the way I just wouldn't put it past him to join the Tories for the power. Surely ukip are pointless now as a party.

Mummyme1987 Sat 25-Jun-16 10:01:32

I think Teresa may has a good shot.

londonrach Sat 25-Jun-16 10:53:36

Saw this today making the rounds of fb. I agree not boris or gove. not sure about may, shes been very quiet.

fassone Sat 25-Jun-16 10:55:42

NI won't leave the UK. The Republic can't afford to take it on and the sentiment is that the UK can carry on funding it.

HappydaysArehere Mon 27-Jun-16 13:16:41

Do you know, having never been in a bookies in my life, I am going out and my first visit is to put a couple of quid on Theresa! I am doing it because I feel helpless and need to do anything to ease the pain of thinking that Boris might be voted to take Cameron's place. Never, since the Second World War, have we needed a person more that we can trust to try to salvage something out of this mess.

HappydaysArehere Mon 27-Jun-16 13:21:11

Would add, that Boris Johnson is the last person able to do that. He has just started the backtracking on immigration, he told downright lies and has never had any real commitment to leave. He changes as he sees chances for self advancement. Wouldn't put it past him to decide to have a garden tunnel!

MyNewBearTotoro Mon 27-Jun-16 13:38:36

I am really hoping we don't get May, or any female politician, for PM after the outcome of the referendum.

For many Thatcher all but killed the image of UK women in politics. After over two decades I believe that has finally changed but I'm worried whoever takes the role of PM and is the one to officially leave the EU will be committing political suicide. Regardless of whether there will or won't be long term benefits to leaving the EU in the shorter term it's likely to mean tough negotiations, compromises and a negative effect on our economy meaning more cuts and maybe another recession. I think whoever takes over as PM is going to be viewed very badly by the public as they try to work us through this and if it's a woman I'm worried the media, which is still full of misogyny and sexism, will blame any mistakes or unfavourable decisions on gender and put the image of women in politics back where it was straight after Thatcher.

Obviously I don't think gender has anything to do with politics and although I dislike Theresa May she is more tolerable than many other of the Tory names mentioned but I don't trust our media not to demonize her in the basis of her gender if she were to lead us through the tough times ahead.

Personally I'm hoping for Gove as he is the Leave campaigner I hate most, I'm hoping if he were leader not only would he be committing political suicide but he would hopefully destroy the image of the whole Tory party enough to mean they wouldn't be voted on again any time soon.

HappydaysArehere Thu 30-Jun-16 00:35:08

I believe Gove isn't standing but supporting Boris Johnson. So My New Bear you are so right and Gove knows it to. Perhaps he intends to feed Boris to the lions and then emerge as some kind of saviour. Well this Country hasn't got time for these political games. We need decisive, intelligent, diplomatic handling of the chaos or we will all be f******. Still think Theresa May is as good as we can get at the moment. She looks the part and she can exhibit toughness and above all can be decisive. Also Merkel is a woman! Got to add I share your feelings about Gove but at least the public is likely to see him for what he is but Johnson has taken so many people in. So many see him as this wonderful, intellectual oddity instead of a dangerous self seeking idiot. So let him dig his own political grave but please not at this Country's expense.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now