To make a "healthy" birthday cake for family member with health conditions?

(19 Posts)
sandrabedminster Sat 25-Jun-16 08:49:16

Or would this be seen as manipulative? I know its his birthday, but I'd feel guilty making a cake that contains all the things he's been told to avoid.

Not sure how to add a Facebook video, but does something like this www.facebook.com/nestandglow/videos/593196797524212/ look like a healthy cake?

DonkeyOaty Sat 25-Jun-16 09:09:34

That's not a cake sorry

It looks delicious.

What is the health condition? Why would it be manipulative?

DonkeyOaty Sat 25-Jun-16 09:10:22

Get them something else than no guilt over food?

StrawberryQuik Sat 25-Jun-16 09:23:00

I think it sounds thoughtful, whenever I make a meal for PILs I always make a fruit salad (with lower sugar fruit) for FIL with diabetes to have while everyone else has pudding. He appreciates it.

Paintedhandprints Sat 25-Jun-16 09:26:53

Check out healthy 1yo birthday cake recipes too. Not sure what you need to avoid, but substituelte fresh whipped cream and fruit for a topping, or cream cheese instead of icing sugar...?

neverknowinglywrong Sat 25-Jun-16 09:29:22

That just looks like a waste of good ingredients to me, sorry. Like the chocolate mousse with avocado that is equally a disappointment.

What exactly is he not able to eat?

Mouikey Sat 25-Jun-16 18:56:23

Tough one, does he actively avoid the things he shouldn't eat or are you making a cake which avoids those things as a lesson in 'well look this tastes great!'. If he actively avoids, then fab go with it, but if it is the latter then I think you are being relatively manipulative. Not sure if this is a good comparison but its like making a sugar free, fat free cake for someone who is overweight because you think they should lose weight!

BlueFolly Sat 25-Jun-16 18:57:54

That looks horrible.

PurpleDaisies Sat 25-Jun-16 19:01:33

It looks grim. I wouldn't want that for my birthday. Depending on what the health condition is would one small piece of proper cake make a massive difference?

RortyCrankle Sat 25-Jun-16 19:04:37

Yuk - I wouldn't eat that.

AndNowItsSeven Sat 25-Jun-16 19:08:31

No that cake looks rank

Rumpelstiltskin143 Sat 25-Jun-16 19:21:07

OMG that cake is nasty. Tell us his health condition, we got to be able to find something better than that.

exLtEveDallas Sat 25-Jun-16 19:29:06

Sorry, it looks like bird food sad

WreckingBallsInsideMyHead Sat 25-Jun-16 19:29:21

Is there someone close to him you could ask?

If he is following instructions diligently and loving it then go for it.
If he's doing what he's told most of the time and having the occasional treat then make a nice cake!
If he's ignoring all advice then either don't bother if you'll feel guilty or make a nice cake

grassroots Sat 25-Jun-16 19:35:23

When my mother was in hospital in a coronary care unit for her Birthday - and not in the best of health - the hospital staff gave her a birthday cake which seemed to be almost entirely composed of chocolate and double cream...
I was slightly bemused, but they seemed to reckon on a 'little of what you fancy is good for the soul and everyone deserves a treat on their Birthday."

redpriestandmozart Sat 25-Jun-16 19:45:47

That has to be very high in fat, nuts, seeds, coconut milk and coconut! I doubt it is very healthy and certainly not everyone's cup of tea.

lljkk Sat 25-Jun-16 20:07:41

I started out thinking gross at carrot & pineapple, but by the end I definitely wanted to try it.

Try making it & see if your kids like it.

Bigoldsupermoon Sat 25-Jun-16 22:21:19

That 'cake' looks wicked bad, OP, and I'm nearly vegan and therefore the usual intended victim of these kinds of horrors

What about a bowl of chocolate-dipped strawberries if your rellie is trying to be healthy? Big fat berries, dip the ends in melted chocolate then dessicated coconut, then pop on a foiled tray in the fridge 'til needed.

Does me a treat smile

Smurfit Sat 25-Jun-16 22:43:14

Depending on what is supposed to has avoided, paleo cakes can be delicious. Sweet potato and pumpkin are good sweeteners (also maple syrup?) and they should be dairy and gluten free. I would recommend a banana bread/cake recipe, I've found them to be pretty good generally.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now