Talk

Advanced search

To take them back to the jeweller?

(13 Posts)
YoureNotCrashing Sat 25-Jun-16 08:10:38

I have white gold wedding and engagement rings. I took them to the jeweller in March to have them re-plated as I have done a couple of times before. They were away for a few weeks and when I got them back they no longer fitted me, they're so small I can't get them over my knuckle!

I put it down to swollen fingers, warm weather and maybe gaining a bit of weight. I've been working a lot lately and I never wear them for work so I've not really tried to wear them again. I went to put them on again a few days ago (now being the weight I was before I sent them away) and they still won't fit, and not only that I noticed the diamond that sits inside the band of the engagement ring is not there! Now I haven't worn these rings since I had them back so I don't think I could have lost it.

I'm starting to think these aren't my rings at all. I want to go back to the jeweller and query this but it was late March that I had them back, they'll probably think I'm trying to pull a fast one, although they will be able to tell I haven't worn them at all. What should I do!?

MsJamieFraser Sat 25-Jun-16 08:12:30

I don't think they would do anything, it's been 3 months and anything could have happened in this time frame, no harm in trying tho.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sat 25-Jun-16 08:13:24

Yes of course take them back!

Paintedhandprints Sat 25-Jun-16 08:19:47

Well really you should have checked them over when you picked them up. How can you not notice?

SelinaMeyerVP Sat 25-Jun-16 08:20:04

Go back to the shop, if no luck try trading standards.

19lottie82 Sat 25-Jun-16 08:20:46

You can try but I would be pretty shocked if they admitted liability after 3 months.

SoupDragon Sat 25-Jun-16 08:23:11

You have nothing to lose by taking the back.

MiniCooperLover Sat 25-Jun-16 08:39:57

Of course you should take them back! It may well be they have your rings and someone else is looking for the ones you have! But do it straight away and emphasise you came back as soon as you realised. Good luck.

YoureNotCrashing Sat 25-Jun-16 08:48:38

The diamond missing I didn't notice as it's a minuscule one on the inside of the band, a 'hidden' stone if you like. I tried to put them on as soon as I picked them up and they wouldn't fit. The assistant in the shop just said, "probably just hot hands". Due to being in work a lot (away from home) I haven't had them with me, nor time to sort it out, this weekend is my first opportunity.

19lottie82 Sat 25-Jun-16 08:58:16

Can you take them into a jeweller and ask them to size the rings. That way you will know if they're the same size as the original ones or not?

TBH I find it very unlikely that the jeweller swapped your rings for ones that were pretty much identical, but smaller.

Sometimes I can't get my rings off my fingers (often for a few days at a time) and yet at others they just slide off.

CantChoose Sat 25-Jun-16 09:06:17

Mine are always tighter after being redone. Not by a lot but I def notice a difference.
They may well have lost the little diamond but I think it's probably too late to take it back TBH.

TestingTestingWonTooFree Sat 25-Jun-16 09:07:49

I'd try taking them back.

YoureNotCrashing Sat 25-Jun-16 09:23:54

19Lottie82 That's what I was thinking of doing. I have all the paperwork for them too.

They do usually feel a little tighter after being re-plated but this is a big difference, I can't get them over my knuckle at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now