Talk

Advanced search

To leave the baby spiders where they are?

(15 Posts)
monkeymamma Fri 24-Jun-16 21:18:49

A spider has made a little white nest in the corner of our staircase ceiling (yes I'm a shameless slattern who doesn't even wash towels daily and owns TWO (yuk!) bogbrushes). I can see lots of little baby spideys ready to leave home.
AIBU to let them hatch and disperse at their leisure? I like spiders and the dc are finding it interesting to watch what's happening. But I also feel like a more houseproud type would remove it. (Not sure dh would allow this anyway, he loves spiders too.)
We're a bit gross, aren't we?

Princesspinkgirl Fri 24-Jun-16 22:18:41

Umm yes hmm

RatOnnaStick Fri 24-Jun-16 22:24:46

Oh I'd leave them too, for the same two reasons you gave (like spiders and am a slattern).

SweetieDrops Fri 24-Jun-16 22:27:16

I don't mind spiders. I'd rather have them in the house than flies or wasps, spiders kill the horrible buzzy fuckers so they can stay in my house. If they can avoid being eaten by the cat that is.

Mari50 Fri 24-Jun-16 22:29:53

I had this dilemma a couple of years ago (still scarred by the outcome obviously) I put it out. A friend at work had let a similar egg hatch to be confronted by hundreds of the buggers, she's one of those love the world vegetarian types and even she had to take a vacuum cleaner to the hunners of babies!! . I love spiders, they are so necessary but I can't cope with hundreds of babies. In my kitchen.

Gardenbirdy Fri 24-Jun-16 22:30:33

Leave them be! I once killed a big spider and in the months following I've never encountered so many in my life! I put it down to karma and haven't killed one since. Gently nudge them into a cup and life outside the house = yes. Death by newspaper = no.

DoesMyMarthaCliffLookBigInThis Sat 25-Jun-16 00:09:13

I'm fairly house proud but would still leave the spiders. I love the little buggers and they kill the filthy flies. I'd also worry that if I put them out they'd get lost and wouldn't be able to find their mummy blush

steppedonlego Sat 25-Jun-16 04:41:14

I'd gently remove and put outside, there's more to eat out there for little spiders and plenty of places to hide, you can still watch them. If you can see them moving then their mum is long gone. I did this last week and I'm finding slightly grown spiders making webs on my balcony. Unlikely, but I like to think they're the grown up baby ones

HirplesWithHaggis Sat 25-Jun-16 04:50:19

I'd leave them, they disperse very quickly once they hatch.

And I'm not saying that as a slattern who spotted a nest on the bathroom window and ignored it. And now it's empty and I didn't see a damn thing. No, that wouldn't be me, at all.

Paintedhandprints Sat 25-Jun-16 08:12:07

I'd put it in the garden shed. The home for spiders.

Squirrelsmum Sat 25-Jun-16 08:31:22

I'd leave them, we have a few adult spiders that live up high, the geckos that live on the walls usually eat the babies when they start spreading out.

OrianaBanana Sat 25-Jun-16 08:34:52

DoesMy their mummy will probably be dead I'm afraid, in any case they won't be looking for her.

I would put them outside but that's only because I hate spiders. I did once have a nest on a windowsill - had to leave that one as they'd hatched but they all dispersed pretty quickly.

Windsofwinter Sat 25-Jun-16 08:42:18

I Hoover spiders. All spiders. I then tie a bag over the end in case they come back to life and come for revenge. There's no way I could let a spiders egg stay in the house.

Zippidydoodah Sat 25-Jun-16 08:48:07

I think I'd probably leave it. They don't do any harm, and what a lovely lesson for the children. If that makes me a slattern, then so be it.

LilacInn Sat 25-Jun-16 08:57:26

I'd leave it. It's their world, too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now