Talk

Advanced search

to even consider this?

(8 Posts)
mommy2ash Fri 24-Jun-16 20:45:56

A friend of mine is really stuck for an overnight babysitter for an upcoming event. She has asked me and I would have no problem with this but I am working the following morning. I have to leave the house at 7am. My friends dd is the same age as my dd they are both almost ten and best friends. My friend asked if I would be comfortable leaving them at home until she picks them up at 8am and can bring them to school. The girls are very sensible, have been left alone together for shorter periods, won't cook any foods. I can stay in telephone contact with them the entire time.

Is almost ten too young for this? I'm still thinking this through.

airforsharon Fri 24-Jun-16 20:52:50

Hmmm my oldest dd is the same age and very sensible, but tbh i'm not sure i'd leave her alone with a friend for an hour.

Could they possibly go to one of your neighbours, or a nearby friend, for the hour? I would happily 'babysit' for a neighbours dcs in those circs.

Cel982 Fri 24-Jun-16 21:00:23

Who normally looks after your DD between 7 and 8?

mommy2ash Fri 24-Jun-16 21:05:22

When I'm on the early shift I drop her to my friends house on the way to work. She won't be at home at that time this particular day due to the event. My views are a bit skewed as I was left at home babysitting younger siblings from ten onwards while my mom worked. I was fine but I now think it was too much responsibility so young.

MyKidsAreTakingMySanity Fri 24-Jun-16 21:44:18

I'll probably get flack for this but I don't have a problem leaving my almost 10yo alone for a short while. I'd be lucky if she even looked up from her minecraft game.
She is allowed out round the village with her mates unaccompanied (it's not unusual for kids as young as 5 or 6 to be out to the park with no parents - that's rural village life for you) so being in the house isn't really that different. Obviously it's not something we ever aim for but if the situation came up? I guess we would leave her.

mommy2ash Fri 24-Jun-16 21:49:58

Now you mention it when they go to my friends house they are outside playing with their friends all afternoon. They have phones but pop back now and then to check in. I have spoken to my friend again and I'm going to get a taxi to work so they would be alone for under a half hour which feels more resonable to me.

QuimReaper Sat 25-Jun-16 12:09:32

I wouldn't think twice, 10 is easily old enough!

QuimReaper Sat 25-Jun-16 12:10:23

Sorry, just seen the almost.

I think it will be absolutely fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now