To ask how many voted for Brexit because they believed Leave's argument that our EU membership fees will go to the NHS etc instead?

(32 Posts)
Ailicece Fri 24-Jun-16 11:56:25

Farage stated on Good Morning Britain that this was a "mistake". He also said that voters made a "mistake" believing it. Great.

metro.co.uk/2016/06/24/farage-says-350million-nhs-pledge-was-a-mistake-5963794/

LineyReborn Fri 24-Jun-16 12:01:08

I voted Remain but I know people who voted Leave and believed this shit.

mumwhatnothing Fri 24-Jun-16 12:02:37

Definitely did not believe this. Voted Leave. I am smarter than the average bear.

BeYourselfUnlessUCanBeAUnicorn Fri 24-Jun-16 12:03:18

Interested in the answers as I cannot believe anyone actually thought this would happen. I think my nan did sadly, but she was generally very confused what she was actually voting for but was determined to vote out.

usual Fri 24-Jun-16 12:03:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

usual Fri 24-Jun-16 12:04:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Bearbehind Fri 24-Jun-16 12:04:50

No one is going to admit on here they were actually stupid enough to believe it although plenty will have been.

BastardingBastards Fri 24-Jun-16 12:06:21

My parents and my PILs. angry sad They are all wealthy and do in fact have private health insurance, but they were concerned about the health of some of their friends and relatives, given that they are all getting on a bit and requiring more medical care.

TheDisreputableDog Fri 24-Jun-16 12:07:56

A poll showed that 47% of people believed it... That would make up most of the Leave vote. Nothing like allowing an ill-informed electorate to make such a huge decision. confused

TheDisreputableDog Fri 24-Jun-16 12:09:22

Sorry, poll was about haw many people believed the £350m figure (known to be rubbish).

TheDisreputableDog Fri 24-Jun-16 12:09:49

Oh FFS <how>

DixieNormas Fri 24-Jun-16 12:10:54

Most of the people on my fb by the sounds of it

JellyBellyKelly Fri 24-Jun-16 12:10:59

I voted leave. I didn't believe it and don't know anyone who did. In not smarter than the average bear. It's fucking obvious.

I find it amazing on MN that this has been brought up so often as an argument to support the 'all brexiters are thick' statement'.. yet I'm expected to believe that if the monarchy were to be disbanded tomorrow, that money would flow into public services/my pockets etc.

JellyBellyKelly Fri 24-Jun-16 12:11:27

I'm not

Owllady Fri 24-Jun-16 12:14:27

I started a thread about this in chat WHICH WAS IGNORED! sad grin
Neith er Boris or Gove mentioned the nhs at all in their 'victory' speeches did they?
I suggest we get the bus and run all three of them over

Owllady Fri 24-Jun-16 12:16:17

Btw, you can look for my thread. I didn't suggest anyone was thick. I said they should be held to task as it is not on to mislead people (whether they are thick or not, there's nothing wrong with being thick - Urgh horrible term)
We are all human beings

Ailicece Fri 24-Jun-16 12:29:00

Sorry Owllady, I did look to see if this had been brought up but didn't see it.

JellyBelly I'm even more aghast that so many people voted Leave even though they knew the entire campaign was based on lies. So what did you believe? That immigration would diminish? That the rest of the world would be queuing up to set up new trade agreements with the UK (or rather England-Wales which is all that will be left) and that these will be more favourable to the UK than the ones we've had access to as a EU member? Or did you not care about any of that because, well "sovereignty"? Even though being in the EU has never meant that we've given this up and we would have been able to leave at a later point if we wanted to, when some plans could have been put in place first?

Disreputable no I was asking how many people believed that the money (however big the amount actually is) would be spent on public services, specifically the NHS. It was one of Leave's key claims after all.

We're f*cked.

Goldenhandshake Fri 24-Jun-16 12:33:09

No I didn't even factor it in because I knew the figure was incorrect and being used a political capital.

TheNaze73 Fri 24-Jun-16 12:33:24

I've stated on a few boards about the referendum that I actually campaigned & voted in. Some of the mud slinging has been disingenuous, some terrible broadbrush statements made from both camps. I don't think anyone would be that gullible about the NHS though? Surely??

WorraLiberty Fri 24-Jun-16 12:33:26

Hmmm....

Theonslostbits Fri 24-Jun-16 12:36:26

I voted leave. I knew that money would not go to the nhs. We have a conservative government, i would have been very shocked if this happened.

Kummerspeck Fri 24-Jun-16 12:36:39

I think both campaigns were built on lies and believed nothing from any of them without reading up on it

I am shocked by the level of vitriol from Remain supporters on social media today and think it is about time people accepted that democracy means that sometimes the majority may not agree with your view. We all need to stop panicking, take stock and look for opportunities to move forward now

JellyBellyKelly Fri 24-Jun-16 12:41:19

I can't speak for the entire leave electorate. Ailicece, just myself.

To address your points...

I don't believe immigration will diminish enormously or immediately; but neither am I convinced that uncontrollable free movement is A Good Thing End Of Argument.

I believe that the economy will suffer in the short term... As we are seeing today. But I have faith that it will recover. Do I believe nations will be 'queuing up' to sign trade agreements? Maybe not (do they with any country?) Do I believe we won't be able to trade now we're out of the EU? Absolutely not.

I have no idea what 'sovereignty' is.

The EU is massive, unwieldy and undemocratic in my opinion. It is a layer of expensive bureaucracy which, although has some positives, we simply don't need.

In my opinion.

JellyBellyKelly Fri 24-Jun-16 12:42:25

To edit... Obviously I understand what sovereignty is. I don't understand people who use it as an argument for leaving the EU.

RedYellow046 Fri 24-Jun-16 12:45:38

It's not unreasonable to ask. It is unreasonable to assume that because someone is a Leave voter, they believed it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now