Talk

Advanced search

To ask what's going to happen to British civil servants working in Brussels for the EU?

(10 Posts)
RangeTesKopeks Fri 24-Jun-16 09:45:16

Just that really. I'm sorry if a thread or post have already been written to explain this. I know this isn't the biggest problem right or even something that many people might want to know about. I'm curious.

Would be interested to hear and see your responses.

Thanks in advance smile xx

RangeTesKopeks Fri 24-Jun-16 10:22:03

Bumping smile

lljkk Fri 24-Jun-16 10:40:57

Don't you think they will spend years involved in trade etc. negotiations.

OrangesandLemonsNow Fri 24-Jun-16 10:42:22

This will take years to sort out

ElspethFlashman Fri 24-Jun-16 10:44:00

Apparently Norway have a ton of people working in Brussels. They have to negotiate even harder. So there will be a British delegation in Brussels forever.

RangeTesKopeks Fri 24-Jun-16 11:07:50

That does make a lot of sense actually that Britain would stay in Brussels to negotiate. I was worried that no longer having a place in the EU would mean no longer having a voice or presence in Brussels.

eyebrowse Fri 24-Jun-16 11:16:09

They will lose their jobs and come home to take some of the few jobs that are left here

Mistigri Fri 24-Jun-16 12:46:25

Nothing in the short term. We haven't left yet. In the longer term they will need to get local jobs or return to the UK.

I would guess that most EU employees are pretty employable in their host countries - educated, good language skills etc.

buffythemuffinslayer Fri 24-Jun-16 13:51:51

They will likely stay (the company I work for has representation in Brussels) for businesses that still need to trade in the EU.

We, for example, have offices in France, Germany, Spain, Italy. Those offices will remain, however the legislation around how we operate will change (at some point) - so, the people in Brussels will likely be busier and (even more) stressed! Assuming we will be able to get them visas to stay, of course...

ElspethFlashman Fri 24-Jun-16 13:55:04

They will have a presence, but a voice is debatable. They will have no vote. They will have very few carrots to dangle. So it could be a frustrating job to have and I wouldn't fancy it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now