Talk

Advanced search

Unfriending threats on FB due to voting choices

(17 Posts)
EnoughAlready999 Fri 24-Jun-16 08:46:24

I see a few of my FB 'friends' have written "if you voted Leave then unfriend me as you are obviously a racist twat etc". Am I wrong in thinking this is completely childish and pathetic? I haven't gone around forcing my views on everyone like they have. We were given the chance to vote on it and we did so.

peachpudding Fri 24-Jun-16 08:47:56

It shows how nasty these so called 'Europeans' are. i hope they go live in France.

Acardwithbigletters Fri 24-Jun-16 08:49:20

Well, you tell me. First thing this morning I saw:

"Finally we can take our country back from poles and thieves. Victory for normal people"

So yes, I unfriended that person, whilst face palming.

notgivingin789 Fri 24-Jun-16 08:49:38

Childish... Yes; but I can understand the frustration. I'm deeply shocked that the majority of the people who voted leave didn't think about the stock market; the pound significantly dropping, a possible recession, but the common concern was immigration and having this utopian idea of Britain being a strong, independent content standing on their own two feet.

notgivingin789 Fri 24-Jun-16 08:51:56

Arcade I'm too hearing words like "ordinary people", "normal people"; what on earth do they mean by that?? hmm

OrangesandLemonsNow Fri 24-Jun-16 08:52:01

I've seen a few of these today.

Childish and unnecessary aswell as being completely untrue.

quite a lot of it being spouted on here today aswell

mummymeister Fri 24-Jun-16 08:52:02

and if the vote had gone the other way, those same people would have been writing about their shock at having been unfriended by people who voted brexit and we would have the "see I knew you were a rascist" crap.

It really does stifle political debate when people feel that they cannot say what they think without getting into this sort of crap.

The London bubble people have no idea what is actually going on in the wider UK. they really don't. its like a separate country and this vote has shown this to be the case.

we are where we are, we have to accept the vote and do the best we can for the UK. People unfriending others is really not helpful and actually I agree its pathetic.

Acardwithbigletters Fri 24-Jun-16 08:53:14

Um, some people outside of London also voted remain hmm

ChrissieLatham Fri 24-Jun-16 08:54:50

I'm avoiding Facebook like the plague today! Unless you are an IN voting luvvie I would do the same! It's like the conservative win all over again but worse. Accept that 52% voted to get out and the turnout was good so that excuse can't be used either.

Oblomov16 Fri 24-Jun-16 09:00:11

Good grief. This silliness is unnecessary.

guthriegirl Fri 24-Jun-16 09:00:28

And what about the Scottish people? Are they in a 'bubble' too. Feel sick at the result. All 32 local authorities voted remain and we're out. Fear for the future.

Fleck Fri 24-Jun-16 09:01:15

No I wouldn't unfriend someone for voting leave but today is not the day to admit it to me, i would struggle to be polite in my response. I suspect I know which of my friends did purely because they have been very quiet about it.

EnoughAlready999 Fri 24-Jun-16 09:02:11

I won't be unfriending anyone. They're not exactly friends anyway.

But yes, it's been quite wrong how Leave voters have been made to feel ashamed. I am definitely not a racist, it doesn't even come into it and I really hope we continue to welcome refugees.

WeekendAway Fri 24-Jun-16 09:03:37

YANBU but I think people should keep their politics off FB anyway.

Hughes32 Fri 24-Jun-16 09:03:46

One childish immature man who's no longer on my Facebook posted this morning that he finds it laughable that how everyone who voted to remain think they are morally superior and more intelligent than the people who voted to leave. Oh and that we aren't intelligent people. What a knob.

ChasedByBees Fri 24-Jun-16 09:07:23

Maybe they just don't want to be friends with people who they believe have entirely messed up the future of the country? Maybe they feel angry? Seems reasonable to me.

peachpudding Fri 24-Jun-16 09:07:33

I can imagine the scottish people are terrified that they will have to stay in Europe and no longer be bank rolled by the English. They voted for the SNP, now they are going to have to live with it lol.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now