To find this set od statistics most depressing of all?

(19 Posts)
LostSoreConfused Fri 24-Jun-16 08:34:37

It seems people voted only for the short term

KidLorneRoll Fri 24-Jun-16 08:38:19

It's shocking. The people who will suffer the least and won't even live to see the mess they have left are the ones who have dragged us into it all.

mummy2zni Fri 24-Jun-16 08:41:58

So what's new? sad

Flacidunicorn Fri 24-Jun-16 08:42:33

what a load of tripe. how can a sample size of 1652 be any true reflection of the actual data of over 33million people?

It's like a shampoo advert that says "(0% of women agree" and at the bottom says, "90% of 102 tested"

Maudd Fri 24-Jun-16 08:50:33

I'd be interested to know how many in each age group actually bothered to vote. Only 72% turned out. I'd bet most of those who didn't use their vote were younger voters as expected, and maybe if they had, we wouldn't be in this awful mess. I voted in and I'm old. So did everyone else I know who's my age.

MachiKoro Fri 24-Jun-16 08:54:10

The life expectancies are wrong for a start-up under 50s will have a shorter life than the generation above them, due to last 10-15 years and changes in pensions/housing situation.

thecitydoc Fri 24-Jun-16 17:42:49

Flacidunicorn - a sample of 1652 from a population of 48 million gives a confidence interval of +/-2.41%, and therefore is statistically very reliable. Of course its reliability decreases when you disaggregate the results by age. Those who voted Yes in the Scottish referendum like to claim that young people overwhelmingly voted for independence as a exit poll showed that 79% of young people votes Yes. This was from a sample of 14, with 11 voting Yes. Later polls showed that they were no more likely to vote Yes than other age groups. I would guess when further analysis is done it will show that the young age groups were more likely to be Remainers. The example you quote from shampoo adverts are clearly not reliable

FaFoutis Fri 24-Jun-16 17:44:19

Doesn't surprise me at all.

katemiddletonsnudeheels Fri 24-Jun-16 17:45:18

The barely concealed ageism is sickening. It's at least as bad as some of the racism and xenophobia. 'You won't be alive much longer, you shouldn't get a say?' Absolutely disgusting.

MatildaTheCat Fri 24-Jun-16 17:51:29

I think it's been well established that younger voters were more likely to vote to remain.

My question is about the 28% who didn't bother to vote at all. Some Thirteen million of them angry where the fuck were they? They can't all have been bedridden. What was their demographic?

Almost every single person I know wanted to stay In so its been an awful shock today. What unraveling next is anyone's guess but it won't be pretty.

Boris for PM anyone? Because that's what we look like getting. sad

BumbleNova Fri 24-Jun-16 17:53:11

sorry but kate - its incredibly selfish of the older generation to make a decision that will impact the lives of younger generations. its not ageist, its bloody realistic!

this will primarily affect employment and the economy - if you are no longer employed, your voice should not be as loud.

I really hope you are prepared to explain and justify your selfishness to future generations. its self serving bullshit.

katemiddletonsnudeheels Fri 24-Jun-16 17:57:38

Bumble, do you really think that many of the older generation - both those who voted in and those who opted to leave - didn't do so believing their stance to be the right one, the one that would be best for their children and grandchildren?

Do you really think everyone who voted 'remain' did so purely for unselfish and noble reasons?

Do you really think everyone who voted 'leave' did so because they are a nasty little racist?

I stand by what I said. Ageist, and disturbing in the extreme to insinuate that because someone is old, their viewpoint matters less.

mummymeister Fri 24-Jun-16 18:01:56

we live in a democracy. the vote of a 90 year old has the same weight as the vote of an 18 year old or of an unemployed person or a person with a disability or a person of a different gender and so on and so on.

when you start picking on one particular group for any reason and say that "their voice should not be so loud" you open the door to the racist and sexist crap of the past.

that's what people used to say about women BumbleNova. that they didn't work and therefore they shouldn't have a say. Are you saying that you agree with this or is only someone that you deem to be old that falls into that category. and what is old? 50? 60? 80? and what about the terminally ill. oh no, take their vote away, they wont live to see the result.

Did you know it was a previous National Front policy to allow only certain groups to vote? How do you feel about having views so closely allied to this group?

wasonthelist Fri 24-Jun-16 18:03:36

I really hope you are prepared to explain and justify your selfishness to future generations. its self serving bullshit.

Well according to all the jibes older voters won't be able to explain. Because they will be dead.

Enough of this divisive ageist crap, we will all be old one day (if we are lucky). Age shouldn't necessarily command automatic respect, but it shouldn't command guaranteed abuse.

NoFuchsGiven Fri 24-Jun-16 18:06:04

My question is about the 28% who didn't bother to vote at all. Some Thirteen million of them angry where the fuck were they?

Glastonbury wink

wasonthelist Fri 24-Jun-16 18:07:00

Nofuchs

grin

mummymeister Fri 24-Jun-16 18:08:15

wasonthelist it does on MN!!

if you substituted the word old for any other like male, female, black, gay, straight - the whole of MN would be ablaze with comments.

Coming soon on MN - a thread about euthanasia of anyone over 60 because, lets be fair, they don't understand "the facts" and they don't make any contribution to society.

Oldsu Fri 24-Jun-16 21:47:22

BumbleNova if you are no longer EMPLOYED how dare you, my husband is a pensioner he pays still pays TAX into this country and he has the bloody right to vote and the right to have a say in what happens and his voice should be as loud as he wants.

Would you say the same about sick or disabled people who can no longer work?

ImperialBlether Fri 24-Jun-16 21:53:10

The organiser of Glastonbury has actually been writing to people who've booked very frequently reminding them to get a postal vote and advising them to vote Remain.

I find this idea that only old people are voting Leave very strange. For one thing, 52% voted Leave yet we surely don't have 52% of the population who are elderly.

Also I'm in my fifties and I don't know anyone who voted Leave. Even my 86 year old mum voted to remain in the EU. I have no idea where this ridiculous statistic came from. My generation has loved being part of Europe. Many have retired there or bought holiday homes and travelled there regularly. Yes, there should be changes to the bureaucracy, but that doesn't mean leaving is the right option.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now