Talk

Advanced search

to leave DD in the playground alone?

(27 Posts)
alificent Thu 23-Jun-16 23:39:44

In September I'll be taking my children to two different schools which start and finish at the same time. Before/after school club costs around £40 p/w and I just can't afford it. I don't know anyone that goes to the schools and there are no childminders available. My eldest is 9. Wibu to drop her in the school playground at 8.40 when her door opens at 8.50 and to ask for her to be released to the playground at 3.25 when I'll be there for 3.35? There are always lots of parents and her friends around and she's totally happy with the idea. I 100% trust her not to leave school property but do not want her walking the half mile home because it involves two tricky roads and no crossing.

Johnny5isAlive Thu 23-Jun-16 23:47:11

Drop would be fine,not sure about pick up though. I think you'd need to confirm that with your school

Floggingmolly Thu 23-Jun-16 23:49:13

There will be lots of her friends around but you don't know anybody at the school? How does that work?

tigermoll Thu 23-Jun-16 23:53:26

Will it honesty be ten minutes either way? Cos if so, that's probably fine, but (TBH) if there is a chance that might creep up to 15/20/30 minutes because of traffic/busyness/circumstances/oh, it's just this once, then maybe think about another solution?

arethereanyleftatall Thu 23-Jun-16 23:55:34

Why don't you organise one of the parents you know to supervise for the ten minutes?

alificent Thu 23-Jun-16 23:55:49

She knows the children there, I don't know the parents hmm

Definitely ten mins. No traffic ever on the route.

alificent Thu 23-Jun-16 23:56:30

I don't know any of the parents.

beetroot2 Thu 23-Jun-16 23:56:43

I'd have a word with the school, they may be able to offer a solution.

frazzled74 Thu 23-Jun-16 23:57:40

I would speak to the school, tell them that you are in this position. They may be able to help.

RubbleBubble00 Thu 23-Jun-16 23:59:15

Mornings fine but you may have problems with the afternoons from teaching staff

GabsAlot Fri 24-Jun-16 00:24:11

is talk to the school although shs not their responsibilty they might make an exception

clam Fri 24-Jun-16 00:28:12

You are expecting the school to take responsibility for her though. Ultimately, if there was any sort of accident or injury, they would be liable. I can't see them sanctioning this, to be honest.

beetroot2 Fri 24-Jun-16 00:33:15

Wouldn't leaving her in the playground still make the child their responsibility? Which is wrong OP. Im just suggesting that you could have a word with them and see if there's a solution. Why are the siblings going to a different school?

NinaSimoneful Fri 24-Jun-16 01:00:34

beetroot I'd presume one child is in primary school and one in secondary, especially considering the differing times.

NinaSimoneful Fri 24-Jun-16 01:03:16

Sorry, I just re-read the OP there, they're not differing times, the schools have the same start and finish times.

beetroot2 Fri 24-Jun-16 01:03:58

??? nina if that was the case then there wouldn't be a problem.

beetroot2 Fri 24-Jun-16 01:04:56

The way I read it was the 9 year old goes to one school whom is the eldest and the youngest is starting at a different one?

Lucked Fri 24-Jun-16 01:05:27

I think the issue will be the fact that there is a club at the school that should be used in these circumstances and so they might pull you up on it. Plenty of 9 years walk to school though and are therefore on there own for longer than 10 mins.

Lucked Fri 24-Jun-16 01:08:07

Also I agree pick up is tricky, younger dd losing a shoe or needing a wee or teacher wants a word and time slips away, you will be lucky to leave the other school at 3.35pm.

Nannawifeofbaldr Fri 24-Jun-16 01:10:22

Have you though about what you will do in miserable weather?

Bad storms or snow?

snowgirl29 Fri 24-Jun-16 01:10:31

Hi OP I have two children in 2 different schools. DS school finishes later than DDs so I'm generally alright unless we've got meetings etc in which case I rope someone in to help. Mornings not usually a problem as DD goes to a breakfast club in the morning which helps me get DS to school in time. Talk to the schools. I've always found both schools to be very understanding.

ExtraHotLatteToGo Fri 24-Jun-16 01:31:01

Morning would be fine. It's 10 minutes & there will be plenty of people around.

However, now we are living in a nanny state I'll be surprised if they let her out without an adult at the classroom door to meet her...drives me batty. Still, three weeks to go then the almost 11 year old will be allowed to leave on her own. At long bloody last!

VioletBam Fri 24-Jun-16 01:32:46

My DDs school wouldn't allow this. It's only ten minutes but they were very strict about it.

Pendu Fri 24-Jun-16 01:40:07

I would imagine that you could pick your dc up from reception? It seems unfair to push for after school club - you're be there by the time they got to the club !

clam Fri 24-Jun-16 17:02:29

Do you mean reception as in the Reception class, or the office? Either way, it's expecting others to look after your child every single day, which is unacceptable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now