Talk

Advanced search

christening lunch clashes with football match

(85 Posts)
Naughty1205 Thu 23-Jun-16 21:15:37

This is my first aibu post so please go easy on me! Our ds is being christened on Sunday. We are in Dublin and have relatives travelling from a few counties (2 hour drive) this is just immediate family on both sides approx 20 adults and same for children. As some of you might know Ireland have qualified for the last 16 of the euros and the whole country is gone mad. Match starts at 2pm and meal booked for 2.30. Obviously we only found out yesterday that the match and was on Sunday. Dh wants to change the meal to 4pm now. I don't want to do this. I don't think it's fair on some family members who are not into football. Also they will have travelled 2 hours that morning to get to Dublin for 12 pm and will be hungry. Also my mother has bad health and my sister is very depressed currently and I know it's a huge effort for her to come to the christening. I don't know what to do. I don't want to have people hanging on until 4pm to eat. Am feeling really emotional and cross at the moment so sorry if this post is all over the place. I'm also on meds for depression and anxiety. There is a big screen in the place where the meal is, people could go in and out maybe and watch it? Aibu to not want to change the time?

SlimCheesy2 Thu 23-Jun-16 21:18:16

Right. I am not a football person, so this will colour my view but your DH needs to get a grip. Prioritising a match over a christening and the needs of loved ones attending it is utterly mad IMO.

MaureenMLove Thu 23-Jun-16 21:18:35

I think your last line is the perfect compromise! You cannot expect people not to eat for hours on end, but I do understand the need for folk to want to watch the football.

MumOnTheRunCatchingUp Thu 23-Jun-16 21:20:45

buffet for the hungriest guests followed by the meal at 4?

you won't get any sense from the footie mad lot.....you'll have to let them watch it or they will spoil things and find their own way

Lovewineandchocs Thu 23-Jun-16 21:22:02

Hi there, I'm Irish too, I know what you mean, the whole country has indeed gone mad! 😀 is the meal in a hotel? Any way of maybe organising a few nibbles (chicken wings, chips etc) for during the match then having the meal at 5pm or so? I know it's a pain but if people are running in and out during a meal to go and watch the match then it won't be enjoyable for you. Even your family members who don't like football may enjoy the atmosphere as long as they are fed and watered 😀

fabulous01 Thu 23-Jun-16 21:26:30

I would try and compromise or speak to venue. They may have a solution. If they don't then you know what you are dealing with

scarlets Thu 23-Jun-16 21:26:35

Perhaps combine the two events as you suggest, making the most of the big screen. As pp said, people who are interested in football will now be thinking about how to watch it without causing offence, or maybe even considering dropping out. It might not be kind or considerate, but that is how it is and it is best to be realistic. For an Irish sports fan this match is important.

Numberoneisgone Thu 23-Jun-16 21:26:40

While I have zero interest in soccer but there will be many who do but the fact that your venue has a tv should be fine. I remember a friend had this when Ireland were going for a rugby grand slam she just showed the match at the christening meal and everyone watched and ate it was absolutely fine.

Naughty1205 Thu 23-Jun-16 21:28:46

Thanks for the replies. The meal is in a really small family run hotel local to us. When I say small they have 12 bedrooms. I doubt they do finger food. My family are big eaters also and can be very critical of small portion sizes, etc, they are constantly eating! So I'm already stressed about the menu pleasing everyone etc. I know my sister will try so hard to keep appearances up and if the meal is delayed it'll just lengthen the day for her. I feel like cancelling the whole thing tbh. It was dhs sister who rang him asking what were we going to do about the match! He's only too delighted he has her backing.

Sirzy Thu 23-Jun-16 21:29:34

I am not a football fan but I can see that this is a big event so I think trying to change the meal and provide a buffet/snack for those who need it is probably the best option.

ProcrastinatorGeneral Thu 23-Jun-16 21:29:38

Are people really so shallow as to ditch a family event for a game of football?

MumOnTheRunCatchingUp Thu 23-Jun-16 21:30:58

its sounding like a football themed christening

call the hotel and ask if they can do some food?

Naughty1205 Thu 23-Jun-16 21:31:45

I totally understand the importance of this match, if this christening wasn't on I'd be in a pub watching it myself. I might ask the hotel if they could bring the telly into the dining area. They're going to love us.

AuntieStella Thu 23-Jun-16 21:35:00

Could you bring the meal forward to 1300 or 1330? That's better for your hungry guests (1400 seems awfully late for lunch)

Having a telly available for those who must watch does seem like a good plan, and it'll be less intrusive if they sneak out at the end of a meal, rather than it being a Thing that plans revolve around.

OurBlanche Thu 23-Jun-16 21:35:41

They'll understand. It doesn't happen often and your DS will have a football story to beat many others.

If I were you, I'd just relax and go with the football flow. Talk to the hotel, they may want to join you smile Your son's christening will be a hot ticket item that everyone will remember.

MrsSpecter Thu 23-Jun-16 21:36:08

I am not a football person at all but even I can see how this match is big.

My parish has today announced a change to cemetery sunday from 3pm to 5pm to allow for people to watch the match. People are going ballistic! Tbh, i cant blame them. I also cant blame the priest for a) wanting a good turn out and b) wanting to watch the match himself grin

Its a tough one. I would ask the hotel if they will show the match for you and you could ask them if they'll make a tonne of sandwiches to see you all through to dinner.

Naughty1205 Thu 23-Jun-16 21:37:30

Auntiestella the christening starts at 12.15-12.30. Dh had meal booked for 1pm but we'd never be out on time.

Naughty1205 Thu 23-Jun-16 21:39:21

Some good suggestions for a work around, thanks all. I'll get in touch with hotel tomorrow. I bet dh has already contacted them to change the time!

SaoirseLikeInertia Thu 23-Jun-16 21:39:27

We're in Dublin too. I can understand your pain! Have you a rough idea of how many people will want to watch match (as in enough to skip meal)? If only a small number could they have soup/sambos in bar while rest of you have lunch? Could you have lunch earlier or will it clash with mass?

SaoirseLikeInertia Thu 23-Jun-16 21:40:53

Sorry, xpost really times

gabsdot Thu 23-Jun-16 21:42:39

I'm in Dublin and I'd definitely change the time of the meal until after the match. You'll just end up being annoyed with your DH because he will spend the entire time watching the TV and ignoring everyone. (I am a football widow so I know what I'm talking about )
Also don't forget that it's a knock out match so there might be extra time and penalties. It might not be over till 5
I was at a wedding once when there was a match on, I think it was something to do with the champions league, Anyway half the wedding were in the bar watching the TV.
Could you come up with another activity for everyone who doesn't want to watch the match. A nice walk, or a visit to a nearby attraction.

Waterlemon Thu 23-Jun-16 21:43:48

what time is the Christening?
Id serve the food before the match at about 12, and again go for a buffet type thing rather than a sit down meal.

You never know - The hotel manager/owner may be desperate to watch the game too And grateful for the last minute change of plans!

Hopefully the match will be shown at the hotel or you may find everyone dissapearing!

Dontyoulovecalpol Thu 23-Jun-16 21:44:36

I would change it so they can watch the football. On the basis they're going to anyway. 1pm maybe? not sure id do after as people might be pissed and/or not come back

squoosh Thu 23-Jun-16 21:51:20

It's a tough one Naughty. I suspect you might have a few people dropping out due to 'unforeseen circumstances'.

LittleReindeerwithcloggson Thu 23-Jun-16 21:53:51

Went to a wedding many years ago when a big England/Germany match was on. Was in a hotel and over half the guests disappeared to the bar to watch it before the first dance had been done and even the groom just did the first dance and literally ran to the bar afterwards! Unfortunately - rude or not - it is going to happen!
If you can't fit the meal in earlier then can you bring the christening forward? We had the choice of ours before, during or after the Sunday service. Even if it's quite early you could still have a brunch and give the guests the rest of the afternoon to watch the football. They would prob stay to watch it at hotel which will make a nice day. Also if the team lose then you avoid the grumpy and bad moods!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now