Talk

Advanced search

About kids out playing at this time of night?

(77 Posts)
EvansAndThePrince Thu 23-Jun-16 20:18:04

I'm aware that this is partially my issue (1yo teething horribly and taking an age to settle, warm house so windows have to be open in order to breathe) but AIBU to think that next doors kids (5&7) shouldn't be out playing and screeching at this time of night on a school night?! They often stay out until 9, even 10pm!

JuxtapositionRecords Thu 23-Jun-16 20:20:35

What's the harm? Plus you will love summer holidays grin

Marilynsbigsister Thu 23-Jun-16 20:23:38

In a word . No they shouldn't.

Although the way MN is at the moment, we will both be told 'it's not your business' 'up to,the parent' 'children probably have deep seated issues that requires they play outside until midnight and you are being judgemental to complain' ...

itsmine Thu 23-Jun-16 20:24:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sepa Thu 23-Jun-16 20:24:15

I often wonder this. More so for the fact that when DD grows up I'm going to be the bitch mum who won't let her out this time of night

Topseyt Thu 23-Jun-16 20:25:15

Wouldn't be an issue for me unless they were really screaming loudly and hammering footballs etc. Against my wall, windows.

One day your child might join others out there, when old enough.

Marilynsbigsister Thu 23-Jun-16 20:25:33

Really...while its light ? Doesn't yet dark until gone 11 here. Sorry but 5 yrs old , on a school night.? Are you all on glue ?

EvansAndThePrince Thu 23-Jun-16 20:25:39

They should be sleeping!! It's nearly half 8!!

I know, I'm dreading the holidays, but at least then I can say "Ach it's the holidays!".

But shouldn't kids that age be in bed by this time? We weren't allowed up past 9 until we were about 12!

Babysafari Thu 23-Jun-16 20:26:10

I think yanbu.

We have it here, they play in the garden that backs onto our house and keep ds awake.

I think they should be in by 7.30 settling down for the night.

Babysafari Thu 23-Jun-16 20:26:13

I think yanbu.

We have it here, they play in the garden that backs onto our house and keep ds awake.

I think they should be in by 7.30 settling down for the night.

noeffingidea Thu 23-Jun-16 20:28:01

They shouldn't be screeching or shouting.As for playing out, thats up to their Mum/dad to decide.

EvansAndThePrince Thu 23-Jun-16 20:28:12

They are very loud. Fake crying (probably mocking DD actually) and screaming at each other. I'm on the first floor in the bedroom but their garden is only about 5 meters along. They're going my head in.

Topseyt Thu 23-Jun-16 20:28:12

I wouldn't have let mine play out until 10 though.

I usually brought them in between 8.30 and 9.00.

Offyougo Thu 23-Jun-16 20:29:01

I think YABU. It's not even dark yet. Not everyone has ridiculously early bedtimes. Who says they should be in bed? Is there a law?

EvansAndThePrince Thu 23-Jun-16 20:30:04

Going in at say 9.30, bed at what 10/10.30, up for the day at 7, out of the house for 8... Is that enough sleep for littles??

megletthesecond Thu 23-Jun-16 20:31:03

Mine play out while its light. 9yo DS goes to bed as soon as he's inside and his little sister doesn't sleep anyway so frankly I'd rather she was outside using up energy than throwing strops inside.

JuxtapositionRecords Thu 23-Jun-16 20:31:36

Well yes if they are loud that is selfish. But the bedtime/playing out is for the parents to worry about. Although mine would be cranky as hell going to bed 9pm+

LucyBabs Thu 23-Jun-16 20:32:43

Not all families are the same obviously! My dc are 7 and 4 there is no way they would go to bed at 8 pm. They'd be awake at 6 am. Most nights 4 year old is asleep at 9 and 7 year old 9.30/9.45

I agree they shouldn't be screeching or kicking a ball against a wall.
The best part of being a kid is playing out in the summer when it's bright but past your bedtime smile

RiverTam Thu 23-Jun-16 20:33:10

Some children sleep later. DD is 6, she's in bed but not asleep. On nice evenings when she's not having a bath she might be out in the garden till 8. Why not? She doesn't wake up at 6 in the morning, she's getting plenty of sleep, she's just a child with a lot of energy.

But it's just her so she's not making much noise. I can imagine lots of shrieking when your trying to settle a baby is very annoying, not sure what you can do about it though.

But yabu to suggest that all children should be in bed at 8.

fuckincuntbuggerinarse Thu 23-Jun-16 20:33:26

fuckincuntbuggerinarse Thu 23-Jun-16 20:34:51

lovelilies Thu 23-Jun-16 20:34:59

My 2 yo is out right now in the neighbours front garden with their 2 yo grin
Judge away wink

LagunaBubbles Thu 23-Jun-16 20:36:11

You posted at 8.18 - YABU. They should be in bed? Says who? hmm

HermioneJeanGranger Thu 23-Jun-16 20:38:49

How do you know what time they're getting up in the mornings? confused I never had to get up as early as 7am for school as a kid.

Salene Thu 23-Jun-16 20:39:23

YANBU

It's totally disrespectful the parents should have them inside

I think 7pm during school time is the cut off for kids playing outside

And they should certainly be told not to make a noise. Id be angry at that and put a note through the parents door or say to them

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now