Talk

Advanced search

teacher keeping children in

(9 Posts)
thatsthewayitgoes Thu 23-Jun-16 20:06:26

I really would appreciate your views as I'm not sure if AIBU or if teacher is.

Shortened version of events. My 7 year olds class is not an easy one - some difficult characters. Teacher is new and has had to work on discipline in the class.

Yesterday some of the boys were seen wrecking the younger childrens' sports day preparations by another teacher. This teacher apparently didn't see which boys it was so class teacher decided to keep all the boys in for half an hour at lunchtime.

This meant my son missed a club (that I'd paid for). My son denied he'd been involved. He's a little sh*t at times at home but has never been in trouble at school.

I asked the teacher today if he had been involved. He said "no" he knew my son wasn't involved but as he didn't know who had been he had to keep them all in. He apparently told my son and 2 others that he knew they weren't involved.

I explained that my son felt punished by being kept in. He said he's very sorry but he would do the same again.

AIBU to feel aggrieved on my sons behalf? All the girls were allowed out (even though my son swears one of them was involved). Or is this normal? Thanks X

mamaduckbone Thu 23-Jun-16 20:09:09

No, I don't think YABU. He shouldn't have made your son or any other children miss a paid for club and should have worked harder to get to the bottom of it without punishing the whole group.

elodie2000 Thu 23-Jun-16 20:09:40

Group punishments don't work. The teacher should only punish with loss of time if they know the fact. Talking generally to the whole class (in school time) about respect and referring to the incident instead.

sepa Thu 23-Jun-16 20:13:37

I would be really annoyed even without a paid club especially given that the teacher knew your DS wasn't involved

IslaSinga Thu 23-Jun-16 20:13:39

Your son should not have missed a paid club.

SusanAndBinkyRideForth Thu 23-Jun-16 20:15:09

I'm a teacher, albeit secondary. Whole class detentions are generally frowned upon. Saying that i have had to set them a couple of times with really tricky classes when a majority of the class has been playing "bait the teacher" and when nothing else has worked. Even so I would rearrange the detention for those individuals who had clubs, or who I knew were totally innocent.
It sounds like the teacher made a bad call.

wheresthel1ght Thu 23-Jun-16 20:16:26

Sorry but I think yabu.

If tables were turned and all the class but 1 had been kept in because of a paid for activity I am fairly sure you would be raging on here about that.

The teacher made a judgement call based on info at the time.

thatsthewayitgoes Thu 23-Jun-16 20:17:18

Thanks. This is not the first time. I know teacher is struggling with some of the characters in the class but that isn't my problem. Teacher was adamant I was in the wrong. I just said "we're not going to agree are we" and left.

I know at secondary school this may be normal but my son is just getting annoyed at the teacher not at the naughty kids. It won't be long before he starts to play up at school - as he's getting punished anyway, why not bother? confused

Greyponcho Thu 23-Jun-16 20:19:57

Is the teacher aware of the Geneva convention, article 33, first para, which states that a group must not be punished for the actions of a few?
YANBU.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now